• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The stats on Syracuse's OOC Schedule

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keep hatin bro.

our SOS is fine every year. our ooc is decent every year

"Decent" by Scranton Community college standards. It certainly doesn't compare to the majority of top tier schools.

It sucks compared to most of the big boys.

did you miss me say bus/plane

jeez talk about jerk stupid

Did you miss the part about Raleigh being nearly twice as far away as Syracuse? Do you even know what "exact" means? I don't think you do.

Do you think a bus and a plane are the exact same thing?

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keep hatin bro.

our SOS is fine every year. our ooc is decent every year

According to Kenpom.com (the only site I found Noncon SOS ratings that go back a decade)

Syracuse's average noncon SOS was 219 (out of about 330 teams... it varies from year to year)

All of the other top tier programs I looked at (Duke, UK, UNC, MSU, Kansas) None of them averaged above 150
8 out of the 10 years reviewed, SU had the worst SoS. (the two years they didn't were UK and if I'm not mistaken those were the two "Gillespie" seasons)

But I wouldn't call the bottom third of Division 1 "decent" I'd call that "sub par"

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have you forgotten the michigan game?

oh how your quality wins are pretty much on par with the quality wins of baylor

oh you are right. Kentucky in Arlington = true road game for Baylor. Also, Colorado in Dallas = true road game for Baylor.

How silly of me to think that Arizona going into SDSU and Michigan (with the healthiest McGary we saw all year) and leaving with victories is more of a feat than those two "Home Games" Baylor won.

Go suck a dick, johnny

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we really still arguing about Syracuses OOC schedule??? The Cuse traditionally plays an average ( at best ) OOC schedule. They dont need to play a tough one because they get a big bump from league play. Also the Cuse traditionally RARELY leaves NY/NJ to play OOC games. Anyone saying otherwise is just flat out wrong. Its not like the Orange are playing a terrible OOC every year but to pretend its great is laughable. Its just OK and thats all it needs to be really.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we really still arguing about Syracuses OOC schedule??? The Cuse traditionally plays an average ( at best ) OOC schedule. They dont need to play a tough one because they get a big bump from league play. Also the Cuse traditionally RARELY leaves NY/NJ to play OOC games. Anyone saying otherwise is just flat out wrong. Its not like the Orange are playing a terrible OOC every year but to pretend its great is laughable. Its just OK and thats all it needs to be really.

This is the point that we make over and over again. Also I don't even think it's a big deal that they don't play a tough OOC schedule BECAUSE their conference is always so tough.

But if someone tells me Arizona is the same amount of "impressive" as Baylor so far, well now I am going to take exception to that.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rmilia has it stated pretty well. SEC football does the same thing. A weak OOC while playing in a tough conference. SU does play close to home in November and December. john explained why they play Binghamton and Cicero. It's an obligation to local colleges and I'm good with it. No use in hiding that as a fact. But also like john said, SU does travel so don't act like they don't. I don't care how they compare to Duke except in March.

This year...I have no issue with where everyone is ranked. I think SU has earned a one seed to this point in the season. But last years team should have let us all know the seeding has less to do winning beyond the S16. After the S16, every team better bring their A game.

I don't see how anyone can tell if MSU, SU, AZ and others are better or worse than the other. Until they play on the court, I just can't tell. And even then, it's only one game so I'm still not convinced.

I like March Madness and all of this is just setting teams up for the show. This years SU team could go all the way from anywhere in the brackets. And they could lose to Miami. Who knows.

I'm enjoying the ride and have nothing but big sacks of respect for the most teams. Cause after Coach JB retires....SU will not be in the dance year in and year out. It's a cycle.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Kenpom.com (the only site I found Noncon SOS ratings that go back a decade)

Syracuse's average noncon SOS was 219 (out of about 330 teams... it varies from year to year)

All of the other top tier programs I looked at (Duke, UK, UNC, MSU, Kansas) None of them averaged above 150
8 out of the 10 years reviewed, SU had the worst SoS. (the two years they didn't were UK and if I'm not mistaken those were the two "Gillespie" seasons)

But I wouldn't call the bottom third of Division 1 "decent" I'd call that "sub par"

kenpom?

wow..........

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh you are right. Kentucky in Arlington = true road game for Baylor. Also, Colorado in Dallas = true road game for Baylor.

How silly of me to think that Arizona going into SDSU and Michigan (with the healthiest McGary we saw all year) and leaving with victories is more of a feat than those two "Home Games" Baylor won.

Go suck a dick, johnny

ah so home/away > quality of opponent

lmao:laugh3:

and fyi you clearly didnt watch those games because baylor did not have a large fan presence in either game

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the point that we make over and over again. Also I don't even think it's a big deal that they don't play a tough OOC schedule BECAUSE their conference is always so tough.

But if someone tells me Arizona is the same amount of "impressive" as Baylor so far, well now I am going to take exception to that.

if someone says "baylor is not that great" anyone who says otherwise doens't know their cfb. when they are sitting at 12-1 and two wins against teams currently in the top 15. Well now I am going to take exception to that.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ah so home/away > quality of opponent

lmao:laugh3:

and fyi you clearly didnt watch those games because baylor did not have a large fan presence in either game

not at all. But do you think that beating Kentucky in Arlington is more significant than beating SDSU on the road? That is one of the most hostile environments in college basketball, probably a top 20 venue to play in when it comes to home-court advantages. And we have all seen what SDSU has been able to do since that game, beating some quality opponents and getting a win @ Phog. But I base my opinions on watching Baylor play basketball more than anything. I simply know from watching them that they are a fringe sweet 16 team AT BEST. You will see once the conference season is over that I am right.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread, to me, is a prime example of why I have always loved CBB more than CFB. We jump on teams in CBB for not playing a tough OOC schedule even if they play a tough conference schedule. We penalize them for it. In CBB we get to see Kansas play Duke, Nova, New Mexico, Wake, Georgetown, Colorado, Florida and San Diego State in their first 13 games and we dont penalize them for losing 4 games. We reward them for playing those teams. In CFB we are lucky to get a team that plays 1 decent OOC game and we give free passes to teams that dont if they play in a "tough" league. Kansas could lose 10 games this year and still win the NC and if they do they will have earned it through trial by fire. Its awesome.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread, to me, is a prime example of why I have always loved CBB more than CFB. We jump on teams in CBB for not playing a tough OOC schedule even if they play a tough conference schedule. We penalize them for it. In CBB we get to see Kansas play Duke, Nova, New Mexico, Wake, Georgetown, Colorado, Florida and San Diego State in their first 13 games and we dont penalize them for losing 4 games. We reward them for playing those teams. In CFB we are lucky to get a team that plays 1 decent OOC game and we give free passes to teams that dont if they play in a "tough" league. Kansas could lose 10 games this year and still win the NC and if they do they will have earned it through trial by fire. Its awesome.

god damn rmilia, you couldn't have said it better. I fucking love CBB, and for me CFB is MEH for that exact reason.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not at all. But do you think that beating Kentucky in Arlington is more significant than beating SDSU on the road? That is one of the most hostile environments in college basketball, probably a top 20 venue to play in when it comes to home-court advantages. And we have all seen what SDSU has been able to do since that game, beating some quality opponents and getting a win @ Phog. But I base my opinions on watching Baylor play basketball more than anything. I simply know from watching them that they are a fringe sweet 16 team AT BEST. You will see once the conference season is over that I am right.

baylor is a small private school that is football first in a state dominated by multiple schools. BUs travel distance gets negated by the sheer size of UKs fanbase which is known to travel. I watched that UK-baylor game and it did not look like either school had any advantage or disadvantage. they played in a football stadium not an arena. the crowd size was not impressive at all and even if the stadium was holding 40K fans the noise wouldn't have been that loud (syracuse fans know this first hand). saying BU had a home game advantage there is a complete joke.

as for sdsu. one thing you have to note is that the mental aspect of it for sdsu. they entered that game unranked unproven and expecting to lose. had the matchup been today sure......the environment would of been very hostile and the players of both sides would be on their A game. but a couple of months ago and the 2nd game of the season when SDSU had literally zero hype????? Nope ==> not buying it.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
baylor is a small private school that is football first in a state dominated by multiple schools. BUs travel distance gets negated by the sheer size of UKs fanbase which is known to travel. I watched that UK-baylor game and it did not look like either school had any advantage or disadvantage. they played in a football stadium not an arena. the crowd size was not impressive at all and even if the stadium was holding 40K fans the noise wouldn't have been that loud (syracuse fans know this first hand). saying BU had a home game advantage there is a complete joke.

as for sdsu. one thing you have to note is that the mental aspect of it for sdsu. they entered that game unranked unproven and expecting to lose. had the matchup been today sure......the environment would of been very hostile and the players of both sides would be on their A game. but a couple of months ago and the 2nd game of the season when SDSU had literally zero hype????? Nope ==> not buying it.

this is 100%, absolutely, without a doubt the dumbest thing you have said since i have joined. Go check out some SDSU fan forums to see if they were "hyped" for the game, and maybe rewatch the game to see how the environment was. Same for the michigan game. It was a very similar atmosphere in Crisler arena as what we saw last night @ MSU, and it was for a nonconference game

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is 100%, absolutely, without a doubt the dumbest thing you have said since i have joined. Go check out some SDSU fan forums to see if they were "hyped" for the game, and maybe rewatch the game to see how the environment was. Same for the michigan game. It was a very similar atmosphere in Crisler arena as what we saw last night @ MSU, and it was for a nonconference game

the michigan game ==> no doubt.

but the sdsu game. zona and the sdsu fans came into that game expecting a scrub match

yes it is a an away game, but plenty of times I have seen SU have a heavy presence in opposing fans arena's.

arizona is not far from sdsu and zona has a pretty nice fanbase and a lot of alumni in the san diego area.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kenpom?

wow..........

I suppose you have a better metric that you can use? I'd love to see the data. Feel free to post anything that proves my points wrong. (after pages and pages, you've yet to do that)

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose you have a better metric that you can use? I'd love to see the data. Feel free to post anything that proves my points wrong. (after pages and pages, you've yet to do that)

nah just rustling your feathers. i thought you were gonna go on a rant or something

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse plays quite a few tough opponents prior to the Big Dance. There's no question that home>>>>>neutral>>away advantages exist in college hoops (so much that in some cases one team can be selected over another by measuring "away" wins) however, I personally believe the overall strength of schedule is better determined by the level of opponent versus the location. Is there a direct relationship to that level of opponent and home wins? Sure, but Syracuse seems to play enough quality teams in tourney play (neutral) in conference (away) and conference tourney (neutral) to warrant their rankings.

I have zero idea where this thread is heading but there's an additional 2¢ to help it along.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse plays quite a few tough opponents prior to the Big Dance. There's no question that home>>>>>neutral>>away advantages exist in college hoops (so much that in some cases one team can be selected over another by measuring "away" wins) however, I personally believe the overall strength of schedule is better determined by the level of opponent versus the location. Is there a direct relationship to that level of opponent and home wins? Sure, but Syracuse seems to play enough quality teams in tourney play (neutral) in conference (away) and conference tourney (neutral) to warrant their rankings.

I have zero idea where this thread is heading but there's an additional 2¢ to help it along.

agreed. and this thread has nothing to do with Syracuse's ranking in any way. They deserve to be #2 and anybody who thinks otherwise hasn't seen them play.