• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The reigning champs arrive at the Grill for a weekend set: ATL @ TEX 4/29-5/1

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think there's a lot of logic leaps being made here. I don't deny that Howard is getting favorable treatment. But the Rangers aren't the only team using the "starter" set up. And I don't subscribe to the theory that the FO is trying to save face from the Gibson trade by handling Howard with kid gloves.

I have no idea what they saw in Howard, and I've been pretty clear that I consider the trade to be the worst in Rangers history. But the trade happened, and the Rangers are going to try to get something out of Spencer. That is what they are supposed to do. Do I think he's got anything? No. But he's only pitched in 10 games for the Rangers. He's only pitched in 2 games this season. I can't really fault them for considering that to be a small sample size and wanting to see more from him. He's not holding up someone in AAA knocking down the door. And right now this team has way bigger issues than Howard.

I have no problem with running him out there for several more games, through the end of May. If he's still sparing us all to death at that point, then sure, send him to AAA. But like I said, to me there are more pressing concerns than Howard at the moment.
The Rangers using an opener for him is not that big of a deal to me. I think the whole opener concept is flawed myself, not just for Howard, but any time.

They are not supposed to very, very, very slooooowwwly build up a pitchers innings as a starter in the big leagues. No one does that and especially this particular season. So, I disagree with you that this is what they are supposed to do.

I never understood the more pressing concerns approach to things like this. It isn't like they can only do one thing, personnel-wise, at a time.

Oh well.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odor got too many chances, but wasn't coddled. Gallo at least gave us gold glove caliber defense and some spurts of very good production.
don't know for sure but it sure seemed like there were quite a few on the Rangers boards who griped every time Odor, Gallo and "Mile High Popup" Kinsler appeared in the lineup

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odor got too many chances, but wasn't coddled. Gallo at least gave us gold glove caliber defense and some spurts of very good production.
I agree. Not mentioned directly is the thought that the FO gives preferential treatment to investments as as you have past mentioned not sunk costs.
Yes Gallo does not apply to that scenario

Obviously I don’t think this is a norm but there is a trend for popular vets to get the better treatment by team and event by umps Likely happens on most teams methinks

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know for sure but it sure seemed like there were quite a few on the Rangers boards who griped every time Odor, Gallo and "Mile High Popup" Kinsler appeared in the lineup
Sure seems that way. I think people only remember what they want to remember.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seven Reasons the Rangers could be coddling Spencer Howard that do not relate to the trade:

1) Chris Young's best friend growing up was named Spencer.
2) Everyone thinks he is too nice of a guy to disappoint.
3) JD thinks Howard has a nice face.
4) He is really scary once you get to know him and they are all afraid of him.
5) The league has issued a ruling that there are not enough guys named Spencer in the league so every team has to have one on the team or be heavily fined.
6) He has a doctor's note saying he is allergic to pitching on minor league mounds.
7) Someone in the front office follows this board and they feel they have to give us something to talk about besides their record.

Feel free to add any others you can think of.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we want to go back further Crawler was a Mitch hater and Bennie thought Kirkman should Ben launched to the moon
I thought they babied Marteen
The Profar snub over Face was a thorn in a few of us

It that is a lot of years

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers using an opener for him is not that big of a deal to me. I think the whole opener concept is flawed myself, not just for Howard, but any time.

They are not supposed to very, very, very slooooowwwly build up a pitchers innings as a starter in the big leagues. No one does that and especially this particular season. So, I disagree with you that this is what they are supposed to do.

I never understood the more pressing concerns approach to things like this. It isn't like they can only do one thing, personnel-wise, at a time.

Oh well.

the point there was about this board getting so worked up about Howard. I would love for that to be my biggest concern. right now I'm not sure it makes the top 5.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the point there was about this board getting so worked up about Howard. I would love for that to be my biggest concern. right now I'm not sure it makes the top 5.
Not really that big. Just a topic of opinions that may or not matter one little bit.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure seems that way. I think people only remember what they want to remember.
i remember going to some games when Kinsler would hit one of his world-famous popups and you could run get another beer at the stands and still get back in time to see one of the opposing infielders catch it

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh well.

should also add: you're confusing my support of wanting to get something out of Howard with supporting the method they're using to do so.

I don't agree with the approach, I agree with the intent.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really that big. Just a topic of opinions that may or not matter one little bit.

I can think of 500 million things that are more concerning to me at the moment.

Chances are Howard isn't here in 2023. Hell, if they cut him tonight I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Our 2B and SS are supposed to anchor this thing for the next 7 years, and as of right now, Odor's stats are better than Semien, and it's not really close.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Not mentioned directly is the thought that the FO gives preferential treatment to investments as as you have past mentioned not sunk costs.
Yes Gallo does not apply to that scenario

Obviously I don’t think this is a norm but there is a trend for popular vets to get the better treatment by team and event by umps Likely happens on most teams methinks

Definitely not just a Rangers thing as well. Gallo is significantly worse as a Yankee and they keep running him out there.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely not just a Rangers thing as well. Gallo is significantly worse as a Yankee and they keep running him out there.
well like us with Howard they gave up a lot to get him and they keep trying to get their money's worth

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda the point I was making

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well like us with Howard they gave up a lot to get him and they keep trying to get their money's worth
Funny! NY gave up little in Howard and got little back thus all the fuss over nada.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we're bridging these topics, here's a hypothetical:

given what we know now about all the pieces involved in both trades, let's say that making the Gallo trade is contingent on making the Gibson trade. Have to make both or neither.

Do you make the trades? I do.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we're bridging these topics, here's a hypothetical:

given what we know now about all the pieces involved in both trades, let's say that making the Gallo trade is contingent on making the Gibson trade. Have to make both or neither.

Do you make the trades? I do.
Yep

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny! NY gave up little in Howard and got little back thus all the fuss over nada.
we sent Gallo, cash and Joely Rodriquez and got Josh H. Smith, Esequiel Duran, Trevor Hauver & Glenn Otto in return from the Yankees.

we sent Gibson, Kennedy, Crouse & 4M to Philly for Howard & 2 low, low level pitching prospects.

both were costly for us and the Yankees

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we sent Gallo, cash and Joely Rodriquez and got Josh H. Smith, Esequiel Duran, Trevor Hauver & Glenn Otto in return from the Yankees.

we sent Gibson, Kennedy, Crouse & 4M to Philly for Howard & 2 low, low level pitching prospects.

both were costly for us and the Yankees
Your correct. I messed up the tradeds. My bad.