• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Oklahoma? Mayfield now Murray. Anyone gonna give them shit about it?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can keep believing that if you want. Won't change my perspective unless there is zero competition when he arrives.

So how much competition did you see when Adams arrived? How many practices did you watch? How close was he to not getting the job? Considering he didn't get there till the last minute how much of a "competition" was it really?
Sorry but you can play dumb/naive but your coaches thought this out. You dont bring in a hired gun with a year of eligibility if you think he';s gonna sit. If that were true you wouldn't bring him in and risk upsetting the ones you do have.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's comical. Like they magically appeared on your roster. You seriously can't be that naive to think Oregon wasn't in touch with them for quite a while before they got there.

Naive? No.

Denial? Yes, very much so.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Oklahoma? Mayfield now Murray. Anyone gonna give them shit about it?
Sure, why not.

Well, except neither were 5th year grad transfers and both were proven entities already at the power 5 conference level. And Mayfield will indeed play for more than a one and done term at OU and that Murray too will have more than one year of eligibility left. So outside of the fact that both are entirely different, they are exactly the same.

I mean if you really want to compare Kyler Murray to... what's his name? Prukup or some shit? Yeah, seems exactly the same doesn't it? :L

As much as you'd like this to be some fabricated BS made up by jealous Husky or USC fans, it's a growing criticism on a much larger scale.
Facing criticism for Oregon's QB succession plan, Mark Helfrich defends Ducks' development
Helfrich wouldn't be answering those questions if people weren't bringing it up.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how much competition did you see when Adams arrived? How many practices did you watch? How close was he to not getting the job? Considering he didn't get there till the last minute how much of a "competition" was it really?
Sorry but you can play dumb/naive but your coaches thought this out. You dont bring in a hired gun with a year of eligibility if you think he';s gonna sit. If that were true you wouldn't bring him in and risk upsetting the ones you do have.
Was Adams clearly the better option?
Was it plain to see?
Adams drop huge numbers on PAC-12 opponents 2 years straight, this new kid hasn't even faced an FBS team. Guaranteeing him the starting position with only having seen him face FCS level competition is beyond stupid and if you think that's what the Oregon coaching staff has promised maybe you should look in the mirror when speaking of being naive.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a little lost. We all know Adams and this new QB are hired guns. The only one not admitting it is the Duck fan who seems to think they just fell out of the sky. As for them developing a QB like Mariota they have told us for a few years now about how they had a couple of Marcus 2.0s in the fold but they obviously didn't or they wouldn't need a hired gun.
The question of how ethical it is another question in itself. I just can't see Cal, Stanford, Washington , UCLA, USC doing that with that position. Oregon has more of it's identity wrapped up in the success of it's football program than pretty much every other team in the PAC. USC is going to play Bama in it's opener next year with a young QB whos never started a game. That's how college football is supposed to work.

What is a"Hired gun". LOL. Never heard that as relates to football. If this is not ethical, i.e.gives a team an unearned advantage, why is the practice not prohibited by the NCAA. Obviously, it is not. Most teams accepts transfers. Why does the transfer of a QB make a difference and then only in the fifth year. Or is this really just sour grapes on the part of those who hoped to gain a step on the Ducks. Appears so to me.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Adams clearly the better option?
Was it plain to see?
Adams drop huge numbers on PAC-12 opponents 2 years straight, this new kid hasn't even faced an FBS team. Guaranteeing him the starting position with only having seen him face FCS level competition is beyond stupid and if you think that's what the Oregon coaching staff has promised maybe you should look in the mirror when speaking of being naive.

So they knew what they had and what they were going to do with Adams but no idea about this new kid huh?lol
You think the Oregon coaching staff hasn't thought this out? If there's been any program in college football in past ten years that put's more thought into schemes and players rolls than Oregon I don't know who it is.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're too even tempered , Oly. You need to get Mamba and Beaver Shaver back in action, a little hell fire and brimstone is called for.

and you will know my name is the lord, when I lay my vengeance down upon thee

BeaverShaver

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will chime in, first, merry Christmas

secondly. I agree partly with @WizardHawk . it is concerning that we really need these transfer qbs. but I will stop short of saying we have issues. I strongly feel the coaching staff realizes they swung and missed with Lockie, and Mahalak. with johnsen's injury, we are one to two years away from having a qb that can run this offense. these are not issues. they are the signs of a team and a coaching staff that wants to do whatever it takes to stay in the spotlight while trying to recruit that next star qb (hopefully touchdown terry Wilson?)

any husky fan would have to honestly ask themselves, if you have the talent Oregon has on the offense, and you have a shot of making a run at the playoff, but all you need is a qb that can run the show, would you take A proven transfer, or give the keys to a Lockie type qb? exactly. welcome to _______ Mr transfer.

my main question is with oregons defense being so bad, why don't we get transfer lineman, corners, linebackers, hell, let's put together a dream team of transfers, I will give Dennis Erickson a call . I hear he has experience doing that

BeaverShaver

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
um did you by chance see Lockie and Allie play? I did. Adams could have started if he showed up on game day

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is a"Hired gun". LOL. Never heard that as relates to football. If this is not ethical, i.e.gives a team an unearned advantage, why is the practice not prohibited by the NCAA. Obviously, it is not. Most teams accepts transfers. Why does the transfer of a QB make a difference and then only in the fifth year. Or is this really just sour grapes on the part of those who hoped to gain a step on the Ducks. Appears so to me.

A hired gun is someone who someone else developed and you bring in to use. You're supposed to recruit the players you're going to use. Everyone brings in a JC transfer here n there but this is something different. Oregon is bringing in a fully developed QB. Most big time programs have had QBs who sat on the bench for a few years and decide to leave for a smaller program to get some playing time. That's the norm. What Oregon is doing is not prohibited because this wasn't it's intention which makes it unethical in my mind. Washington had young QBs this past year .UCLA used a true freshman this past year a kid who was playing high school last year. They did that rather than go find some kid whos been playing for four years someplace and whos further developed and use him for a year for an extra win or two.

BeaverShaver

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, it blows that oregon has missed on their last couple qbs. and yes, I would rather have a qb that grew up in the system. but right now, we don't have that. maybe next year, who knows. but I am happy with how this season turned out, and I'm looking forward to next.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will chime in, first, merry Christmas

secondly. I agree partly with @WizardHawk . it is concerning that we really need these transfer qbs. but I will stop short of saying we have issues. I strongly feel the coaching staff realizes they swung and missed with Lockie, and Mahalak. with johnsen's injury, we are one to two years away from having a qb that can run this offense. these are not issues. they are the signs of a team and a coaching staff that wants to do whatever it takes to stay in the spotlight while trying to recruit that next star qb (hopefully touchdown terry Wilson?)

any husky fan would have to honestly ask themselves, if you have the talent Oregon has on the offense, and you have a shot of making a run at the playoff, but all you need is a qb that can run the show, would you take A proven transfer, or give the keys to a Lockie type qb? exactly. welcome to _______ Mr transfer.

my main question is with oregons defense being so bad, why don't we get transfer lineman, corners, linebackers, hell, let's put together a dream team of transfers, I will give Dennis Erickson a call . I hear he has experience doing that

QB is the one position that can tank your season. You saw that when Adams went down. So a lineman or a corner isn't going to wreck your season but if you have someone to run the show you can compete.

BeaverShaver

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB is the one position that can tank your season. You saw that when Adams went down. So a lineman or a corner isn't going to wreck your season but if you have someone to run the show you can compete.
I agree. which ultimately answers the question of why they took Adams. look, I'm not a huge fan of it, but it is what it is. it's the same thing when teams load up on JC lineman, etc. maybe USC doesn't need to do it, cuz, well they are USC. has recruiting ever been an issue? have you ever had to go find a QB? hell, have you ever had to go find anyone?

the problems at USC have never been getting recruits. the problem has been getting a shit load of high profile recruits to play TOGETHER as a team

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. which ultimately answers the question of why they took Adams. look, I'm not a huge fan of it, but it is what it is. it's the same thing when teams load up on JC lineman, etc. maybe USC doesn't need to do it, cuz, well they are USC. has recruiting ever been an issue? have you ever had to go find a QB? hell, have you ever had to go find anyone?

the problems at USC have never been getting recruits. the problem has been getting a shit load of high profile recruits to play TOGETHER as a team

Recruiting , developing , coaching. Many times USC has had the more talented players but without coaching and developing you can't win. That';s the problem I have with what Oregon is doing. They are skipping the development part with the QB position and getting a kid who they didn't spot four years ago and are now taking him after someone else did the hard work. It';s not the same as a JC transfer. JC kids are usually kids who had the talent but needed the JC to learn how to be a student.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking forward to seeing how Ryan Burns (RS Jr. 4* dual threat), Keller Chryst (4* RS SO PP) and the 4/5* true frosh coming in next year stack up at QB for Stanford.

According to this Chryst may be the heir apparent to Hogan. Elway like arm. Will have to see how he handles the playbook though.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting , developing , coaching. Many times USC has had the more talented players but without coaching and developing you can't win. That';s the problem I have with what Oregon is doing. They are skipping the development part with the QB position and getting a kid who they didn't spot four years ago and are now taking him after someone else did the hard work. It';s not the same as a JC transfer. JC kids are usually kids who had the talent but needed the JC to learn how to be a student.

:amen:
Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.