• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The one thing

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading alot of these threads about the draft. I noticed one thing. Nobody agrees on everything. So....

Pick one thing u would of done different if you were mayhew. The one mistake at missing a future star or solid player....whether its our first round pick or our 5th round pick.....

Mine is not getting te'o.....im not a ND fan, so its not a homer pick.....so i think we should of drafted te'o instead of slay. And this comes from a fan who is always crying for a CB to be drafted.

Honorable mention would be not getting barrett jones or taking a flier on a QB in the later rounds to groom.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Te'o I would have liked, but I am not really upset that we didn't get him. He is an ILB/MLB and slow as so many here pointed out.

QB I don't see much difference between a late round pick and UDFA at all.

One thing I would have done different is draft Montori Hughes or Kenny Stills in the 4th.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or tried to trade back into the first for Bjoern Werner.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought with the draft being so deep at DE, that maybe we would draft miliner in the 1st and either carradine or hunt in the 2nd.

Ansah/slay
Milliner/carradine or hunt

Wonder what pairing would be better. I love ansah though.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'll remain consistent and say that my biggest gripe was not drafting Arthur Brown in the 2nd round.

I liked the Slay pick. But I just liked Brown & Sio Moore better.

Loved the 3rd & 4th round picks. However, instead of trading our 5th round pick to go down and take a punter I would have preferred we used that pick to trade back in to the 4th round and take the OLB Khaseem Greene from Rutgers.

Loved the Theo Reddick & Michael Williams picks.

My final mini-gripe is simply that we chose WR Corey Fuller in the 6th round when Ryan Swopes was available.

I still give the overall draft a B+ due to the upside of Ansah, Slay, Warford, Taylor & Reddick. However, if we had found a way to also get a solid OLB the draft would have been an A!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to say taking milliner in the first then grabbing a de in the second but I cant really say im happy about the first 2 picks because who knows how good they will be I mean we all have played more football then this kid but god I hope im wrong I just never really liked him

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st round pick -- Would have taken Milliner over Ansah. I also would have been fine if they drafted Cooper or Warmack too.

Not trying to be overly critical, but while Ansah has a huge upside, he also has the biggest question marks in the draft. With the #5 pick -- I would have rather seen the Lions go the safer route than swing for a homerun.

The way to look at it though -- If Ansah doesn't pan out, the Lions fans get a consoloation prize, as Mayhew and Schwartz will likely be gone.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be overly critical, but while Ansah has a huge upside, he also has the biggest question marks in the draft.

IMO Milliner and his miles long injury history provides far more questions than a guy who's picking up football faster than any other human before him ever...

Thing I would change if I was Mayhew - I would have taken a chance on Janoris Jenkins last instead of drafting Ryan Broyles.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Milliner and his miles long injury history provides far more questions than a guy who's picking up football faster than any other human before him ever...

Thing I would change if I was Mayhew - I would have taken a chance on Janoris Jenkins last instead of drafting Ryan Broyles.

None of Milliner's injuries provide question marks. If he had major surgery on his knees or something -- I would understand the talk about his injury history. He didn't miss a single game, to my knowledge, in college though.

Also -- the Lions couldn't have drafted Jenkins over Broyles -- Jenkins was picked 39th. Broyles was picked 54th.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree -- Ansah has grown leaps and bounds as a player in a few years, but we don't know how that is going to translate to the NFL when he playing against the best of the best. We are going to have to hope he picks up quickly on some pass rushing moves, as you won't find many DE's that can get by on just speed and strength -- and that is what Ansah did at BYU.

If he can pick up some solid pass rushing moves -- he could be absolutely dominant.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial reaction in seeing Ansah was a bit of disappointment. Yet, the follow up interviews that he has had, learning a bit more of his background, I think he will turn out to be a great addition to a fearsome D-line.

I'll put on my homer hat and say that I would have preferred that we figured a way to get Denard Robinson. The guys a football player - not easily pegged for a single position, but someone who becomes dangerous by being out on the field. Does that make him a third or fourth round pick? Tough to go against Warford in the third, but I think Denard was available when we picked late in the fourth.

As someone reminded me before, you can't mention Denard without stating he's fast, or something like that.....

Last edited by a moderator:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial reaction in seeing Ansah was a bit of disappointment. Yet, the follow up interviews that he has had, learning a bit more of his background, I think he will turn out to be a great addition to a fearsome D-line.

I'll put on my homer hat and say that I would have preferred that we figured a way to get Denard Robinson. The guys a football player - not easily pegged for a single position, but someone who becomes dangerous by being out on the field. Does that make him a third or fourth round pick? Tough to go against Warford in the third, but I think Denard was available when we picked late in the fourth.

As someone reminded me before, you can't mention Denard without stating he's fast, or something like that.....

He's just a playmaker, I was hoping we got him as well...Jackonsivlle got him in the 5th round.....The Lions took a punter......

He will be fun to watch on sundays, not sure our punter will be as much fun to watch.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Vulture answered the question for me......Give me Denard Robinson in the 5th round instead of a Punter that could have been had in the 6th or 7th.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just a playmaker, I was hoping we got him as well...Jackonsivlle got him in the 5th round.....The Lions took a punter......

At least the Lions weren't the only team to draft a punter -- one other team did too.

If this guy turns out to be a great punter -- I will be ecstatic about the pick. The thing that I don't like about him -- He averaged 39-40 per punt his 1st 3 years, then 45-46 last year. Was it a fluke or is he a guy that is going to be booming punts?

With so few teams even drafting a punter -- it seems the pick would have been better spent on a position player. Then again -- the Lions were miserable punting the ball last year, which is embarassing when you play in a dome.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackonsivlle got him in the 5th round.....The Lions took a punter......
Geez, muzzer sure surprised us with that one. Only thing is, it doesn't matter what player we took in the 5th, Denard was already gone. That's a moot argument.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, muzzer sure surprised us with that one. Only thing is, it doesn't matter what player we took in the 5th, Denard was already gone. That's a moot argument.

This is the right thread for it is it not?......This isn't the What did mayhew do right thread is it?

Relax hero.

Mayhew could have easily traded one of those worthless 7ths to move up a couple spots to take Denard.

Just one thing he did wrong.......

IMO the 1st three picks were good.....Focus on that micro....Don't attack my other post, Praise muzzer for saying the 1st three picks were good......Don't go blind on me, I'm saying it......You just don't like to hear positive things from me.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine is not getting te'o.....im not a ND fan, so its not a homer pick.....so i think we should of drafted te'o instead of slay.
I'm an ND homer, but I knew we didn't have a need for Te'o. Tulloch has been a solid starter and will be for the next few years. I don't think we could've spent such an important high round pick on a position that is solidified(for the most part). I would've loved to cheer for him though, atleast I still have Theo. I'm just happy Te'o didn't go to a divisional rival.

Honorable mention would be not getting barrett jones
Agree with you here. I was very high on Jones. I found out about his injury later, but using a later round pick on a guy liek him would've been well worth it.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the right thread for it is it not?......This isn't the What did mayhew do right thread is it?

Relax hero.

Mayhew could have easily traded one of those worthless 7ths to move up a couple spots to take Denard.

Just one thing he did wrong.......

IMO the 1st three picks were good.....Focus on that micro....Don't attack my other post, Praise muzzer for saying the 1st three picks were good......Don't go blind on me, I'm saying it......You just don't like to hear positive things from me.

Its not a what did Mayhew do right thread. His point was that the Lions did not have any opportunity to draft Robinson in the 5th. So you cant say that you would do it differently on that pick because he was gone. At best you could make a case for taking him in the 4th, but not the 5th.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Mayhew's fault, but the "one thing" for me was Shoelace.

We were going to take him in the 5th, and then Jax grabbed him two spots earlier.

That sucks, he could have been a good hybrid RB for us, imo...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Justin Hunter was the target for the Lions in the second round the more I think about it, as he would've presented a good #2 for the Lions. I was kind of hoping that was the pick. They should've moved up if they didn't try.

A CB or Teo was my next choice. I was in favor of taking Teo at that point. In the fourth, the Lions should've took Robinson for his ability and ticket-sell increase. Fielding him, Bush, Stafford, and CJ would've created an exciting atmosphere for fans. Not taking him kind of pissed me off. It made me feel a little better when they took Reddick later though.

I'll be pissed if Robinson is a beast in Jax.