• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The official WVU 2014 recruiting thread

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would beg to disagree...I will take 10 4 or 5 star guys over 10 2 or 3 stars anyday including Sunday!..the mathamatical likely hood of success at a high level would be in my favor!..see Geno Smith...see Tavon Awesome!..see Noel Devine......

Pat White Steve Slaton, Owen Schmidt vs. Jeremy Johnson, Jason Gwaltney and Logan Heastie.

Ill agree with you that the odds are better that a 4-5 star will do better than a 2-3 star. The point I was trying to get across is that we need to find the 2-3 star guys that will play like the 4-5 star guys. Every year, I get excited about "Boyd to Heastie", Ivan Mccartney, Dion Long, Tevita Finau and more often than not, they end up not living to expectations. The 4-5 star guys that we get also seem to have marginal qualifications or attitude problems. I was excited to see Shelton Gibson play last year but he was beat out by a lower rated Freshman, Shorts, and did not see the field.

I really believe that the scouting services get alot wrong. Kids from the big schools, winning schools and ones who get offers from SEC schools, often find themselves higher rated than the guys who may be just as good, but fly under the radar because of playing for a bad team, not having enough playing time, or not developing until well into their senior year.

Ill get more excited in the future to watch the guys with the NR beside their name on our commit list. That shows me that our staff, actually did some research and found someone that the scouting services have not found. When we get a 4-5 star, I wonder why are they here? is it bad grades, bad attitude, get away from drugs and violence etc. Now when I start to see we are getting guys that have turned down Alabama, Texas, Notre Dame and USC, I'll start getting excited. for now, I'll root for the guys that have a chip on thier shoulder.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P I was excited to see Shelton Gibson play last year but he was beat out by a lower rated Freshman, Shorts, and did not see the field.

I wouldn't say he got beat out, if I remember correctly Gibson was rehabbing a blown out knee in the spring. I believe Shorts enrolled early and was there all spring. I think the judgement was to red shirt Gibson, let him finish rehabbing that knee and save him for this year. I'm excited to see him get on the field.

The same with Skylar this year, he is already enrolled and will have a big jump on Crest this year. If Crest gets red shirted it doesn't mean he was beat out necessarily.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say he got beat out, if I remember correctly Gibson was rehabbing a blown out knee in the spring. I believe Shorts enrolled early and was there all spring. I think the judgement was to red shirt Gibson, let him finish rehabbing that knee and save him for this year. I'm excited to see him get on the field.

The same with Skylar this year, he is already enrolled and will have a big jump on Crest this year. If Crest gets red shirted it doesn't mean he was beat out necessarily.

Gibson came into fall camp hurt.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pat White Steve Slaton, Owen Schmidt vs. Jeremy Johnson, Jason Gwaltney and Logan Heastie.

Ill agree with you that the odds are better that a 4-5 star will do better than a 2-3 star. The point I was trying to get across is that we need to find the 2-3 star guys that will play like the 4-5 star guys. Every year, I get excited about "Boyd to Heastie", Ivan Mccartney, Dion Long, Tevita Finau and more often than not, they end up not living to expectations. The 4-5 star guys that we get also seem to have marginal qualifications or attitude problems. I was excited to see Shelton Gibson play last year but he was beat out by a lower rated Freshman, Shorts, and did not see the field.

I really believe that the scouting services get alot wrong. Kids from the big schools, winning schools and ones who get offers from SEC schools, often find themselves higher rated than the guys who may be just as good, but fly under the radar because of playing for a bad team, not having enough playing time, or not developing until well into their senior year.

Ill get more excited in the future to watch the guys with the NR beside their name on our commit list. That shows me that our staff, actually did some research and found someone that the scouting services have not found. When we get a 4-5 star, I wonder why are they here? is it bad grades, bad attitude, get away from drugs and violence etc. Now when I start to see we are getting guys that have turned down Alabama, Texas, Notre Dame and USC, I'll start getting excited. for now, I'll root for the guys that have a chip on thier shoulder.

Another, I have seen what you are saying. When a kid is recruited and signed by OSU, 'Bama, scUM, LSU, their stars go up just because those big boys want them. I'll take a three star kid with heart over a five star prima dona ANY day. It also takes a different coach to coach those two different players. As we saw with Fraud's tenure at scUM, he is a football coach, NOT a politician.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JonathanKMartin: Hubbard (Ohio) 2015 4-star OL Matt Jones has committed to #WVU , per @BillBankGreene

This class is already ranked 8th and now this addition.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JonathanKMartin: Hubbard (Ohio) 2015 4-star OL Matt Jones has committed to #WVU , per @BillBankGreene

This class is already ranked 8th and now this addition.
We nailed down 7th spot on the 247 site for '15. Texas is the only Big12 team ahead of us at this point, we are right behind LSU and we are in a head to head battle with Ohio State for Mr.Jones' RB from Hubbard Larry Scott.:yahoo: I love it!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad to see the coaches going back to WVU hot spots for recruiting, rather than focusing on Texas like they tried to for a couple years. Youngstown and Western PA have always been our bread and butter, especially for linemen and defense.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They never focused on Texas.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They never focused on Texas.

WTF, they said and many on here said, that WVU was going to really get better due to recruiting Texas so hard, that was one of the reasons given for why some thought Holgorsen was the guy.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF, they said and many on here said, that WVU was going to really get better due to recruiting Texas so hard, that was one of the reasons given for why some thought Holgorsen was the guy.

No one ever said that on here. :wtf2: is wrong with you?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one ever said that on here. :wtf2: is wrong with you?

WOW, YOU said Luck and Holgorsen would use the "Texas pipeline" to bring in tons of Texas talent. :gaah:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW, YOU said Luck and Holgorsen would use the "Texas pipeline" to bring in tons of Texas talent. :gaah:

I never once said that.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started a board on the CBS site asking the question if this would happen...fear being the coaches "focus to much on Texas". So even if this was said and even if this was the strategy when being first hired, or even if some posters thought we would get into Texas...the only true fact we see happening is our focus are on traditional recruiting areas and those areas are being exploited in a very positive manner with new pipelines opening up. Only a true dipshit would ever try to bring up the fact they said one thing, but adjusted accordingly and effectively as a negative.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Larry Scott 4 * rb is going to be a tough get....CJ Whorton is announcing tonight I believe.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started a board on the CBS site asking the question if this would happen...fear being the coaches "focus to much on Texas". So even if this was said and even if this was the strategy when being first hired, or even if some posters thought we would get into Texas...the only true fact we see happening is our focus are on traditional recruiting areas and those areas are being exploited in a very positive manner with new pipelines opening up. Only a true dipshit would ever try to bring up the fact they said one thing, but adjusted accordingly and effectively as a negative.

My recall of those conversations was that some thought the move to the Big 12 would hurt our ability to recruit the local kids because families would not be able to travel to see their son play. I stood on the side that I thought the move to the Big 12 would help recruiting.

IMO, when recruiting a kid from the area to play in the Big 12 against the B1G or the ACC... It is a hands down winner. The Big 12 is the best among those three in terms of competition. There were some who felt a Texas presence may help recruit more Texas kids than we have had in the past! and that may happen. It certainly has in baseball.:gaah:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Larry Scott 4 * rb is going to be a tough get....CJ Whorton is announcing tonight I believe.

Larry Scott is for the class of '15. We have a great chance on the kid from NC... Donte Thomas-Williams... another 4-star RB.

Looks like DTW will be a Mountaineer! Huge get for the good guys!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DC, I for one am glad that the coaches have renewed their recruiting in traditionally strong areas for WVU. I think Luck has been very involved in the coaching hires that have been made, and has been steering the coaches about where they need to spend their time and recruiting dollar, after all Luck was a product of those hotbed areas of NE Ohio himself.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I want to say this as carefully as I can...Pat White and Steve Slaton and Owen Schmitt were in the right place at the right time..playing in an offense that was just being introduced around the country..raw talents that got to play in a high octane offense...but I will re-enforce what I said...there is a reason Alabama won Back to Back NC..and are in contention every year...and it ain't because they have a bunch of 2 and 3 star recuits as the core of their roster....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read today that one of the Scout.com recruiting guru's expects Donte Thomas-Williams to sign with WVU. He cancelled his visit to Vandy last weekend.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read today that one of the Scout.com recruiting guru's expects Donte Thomas-Williams to sign with WVU. He cancelled his visit to Vandy last weekend.

They worked hard on this kid, hope they can finsh...sounds like they will.

From the experts view it looks like we are out of the running for CJ Whorton. He talked about WVU very good, but I think either hometown Miami or the Gaotrs will get him.