• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The official WVU 2014 recruiting thread

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have any of you guys heard of a freak athlete who only played 2 years of HS football, recruited and played for South Florida, and went on to be a 1st round pick? Yep, he is known as JPP (Jason Pierre-Paul). Now, I know it's WAY too early to compare but athletic kids with raw talent could develop into studs with some good coaching. Or crazy thought...The kid can obviously block and from what I've read is a pretty good b-baller. What about moving him to TE? Antonio Gates (6'4, 255), Julius Thomas (6'5 250) were former baller's who made the jump to football as TE's. Didn't I read somewhere that Holgy wanted an athletic TE like Jace Amaro (6'5 260)? This could be his chance.

Didn't the Ville have two DE's like thgis as well....think they both went pro. All I know is Florida offered this kid as soon as they saw his tape....

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These can be the best gets for teams like us. Under the radar guys with size and speed that just need to be coached up a bit. Who knows, he could be the next Bruce Irvin, or he may be working at McDonalds in another 2 years.

I just like to see guys like this that have not been bypassed by every SEC team and rated by every service and is coddled by everyone.

Hopefully Cogdill said that this is thenext big thing and not just a good chance that needs a chance.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julius Peppers??? Was he a late bloomer?

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be the best thing since Bigfoot

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon has had one of the most potent offenses over the past few years. Great facilities, up and coming team. The only drawback is that he will have a longer flight back to Florida. He will spend less time on airplanes than at WVU.

Until we can start lighting up the scoreboard again, it will be tough going in recruiting for these really good kids. We are back to searching for diamonds in the rough and 3 star guys that can still improve.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another I think we are getting just more than diamonds in the rough, we are only one year removed from being a top 5 offense. For the last 10 seasons we are on par with them as far as wins go and they have one more BCS appearance than we do (2-2).

The way you stated it "back to finding diamonds in the rough" when did we ever stop needing to do that?

We are graduating 14 seniors next year:

Millard
Barber
Bell
Banks
Snow
Spain
Tonkery

Tranfers
Trickett
Glowinski
Golson
Alford
Hyman
Smith
White

We need to find talent anywhere, cause we struck out on some classes bing time, second part of that list did a lot more than the first part in one year. Spain is the best of the original class and hopefully White, Alford, Golson, and Smith turn it on this season or that class did not bring much at all. no finger pointing, just stating the obvious.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ Whorton decommitted from FSU today and will get in house visit from WVU on Wednesday.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a great article. Nice to see someone take the time to piece everything together. Like you said DC, the points made in the article reflect our conversations on here and at CBS before that.

Like the author noted, it was not just a problem with Stewart, it happened with Rich Rod as well. It's good the current staff have identified ways to try to improve the past problems. Of course, they're not out there tooting their own horns about the changes they've implemented. And, they've never placed blame on what they inherited either.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moral of the story, it is better to take a 2-3 star guy who will stay in school than get the 4 star guy who may not make it. We have had a poor record when it comes to our prized recruits.

Look at the 4 star guys from the last 4 years.

D Howard- some playing time, could be huge in the future
S. Gibson- beat out by another Freshman (Shorts) Redshirt future unknown

Sam Lebbie - never played a down
Deontay McManus- left school Freshman year
Tyler Orlosky- Starting OL

2011 - none

I. McCartney- stayed 4 years played like a 2 star guy
J. Johnson- never played a down
Bruuce- success
Spain- success
Dion Long- success for Maryland now

That gives us a 37.5% chance of success with these guys (not counting 2013). that is worse that the overall stats for the classes.

I'm going to place my emphasis on the 2 star and nonrated guys. My favorite from this years class is Yodney Cajuste. Under the radar, from Miramar in Florida; high school coach now at WVU. Our recruiting should now focus on the unknown guys who have the size, speed or attitude to be good.

When you look at this article and the article of the guys we missed out on, it appears that we are only in the race for the head case 4 stars. Could make a good Smoking Musket article.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ Whorton is to make decision by Monday, he has two teams on his list Florida and WVU...said he is torn between the two, but everyone seems to think we are in real good position to get this guy.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moral of the story, it is better to take a 2-3 star guy who will stay in school than get the 4 star guy who may not make it. We have had a poor record when it comes to our prized recruits.

Look at the 4 star guys from the last 4 years.

D Howard- some playing time, could be huge in the future
S. Gibson- beat out by another Freshman (Shorts) Redshirt future unknown

Sam Lebbie - never played a down
Deontay McManus- left school Freshman year
Tyler Orlosky- Starting OL

2011 - none

I. McCartney- stayed 4 years played like a 2 star guy
J. Johnson- never played a down
Bruuce- success
Spain- success
Dion Long- success for Maryland now

That gives us a 37.5% chance of success with these guys (not counting 2013). that is worse that the overall stats for the classes.

I'm going to place my emphasis on the 2 star and nonrated guys. My favorite from this years class is Yodney Cajuste. Under the radar, from Miramar in Florida; high school coach now at WVU. Our recruiting should now focus on the unknown guys who have the size, speed or attitude to be good.

When you look at this article and the article of the guys we missed out on, it appears that we are only in the race for the head case 4 stars. Could make a good Smoking Musket article.

I would beg to disagree...I will take 10 4 or 5 star guys over 10 2 or 3 stars anyday including Sunday!..the mathamatical likely hood of success at a high level would be in my favor!..see Geno Smith...see Tavon Awesome!..see Noel Devine......