• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The non excuse why we lost thread

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Haven't read all of this but the second point jumped out at me because I reviewed the play - If Davis had caught that pass Pollard (31) would have sent Davis into next month.

That was my recollection. A few people have said this would have been a TD. I don't think it would have altered the game much.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry MH but you need to be corrected here - Needing large windows is for Smith a problem that begins with him having a weak arm and exacerbated by his history.

Kap has NONE of those issues - wondering if the coaching staff had some effect on Kap LIKE THEY DID WITH SMITH is ridiculous on every conceivable level.

Your continued effort to raise Smith's play by lowering Kap's even if by indirectly blaming the coaching staff is senseless - so please stop - seriously - please stop.

I don't think that's what he's doing. I think he's raising a legitimate question about Harbaugh's preference for protecting the ball. I watched that video of Harbaugh leading a HS coaching session several years ago, and he said the most important thing for a QB is to protect the football. As such, I think it's fair to wonder if that approach has had an effect on Kaepernick. I've had the same thought myself from time to time.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my recollection. A few people have said this would have been a TD. I don't think it would have altered the game much.

I think the Davis play would have made the Ravens 25-yard line for a 39 yard gain and considering we picked up 57 yards to the Ravens 7-yard line on the next two plays, I agree it would not have changed much if anything.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's what he's doing. I think he's raising a legitimate question about Harbaugh's preference for protecting the ball. I watched that video of Harbaugh leading a HS coaching session several years ago, and he said the most important thing for a QB is to protect the football. As such, I think it's fair to wonder if that approach has had an effect on Kaepernick. I've had the same thought myself from time to time.

Protection is a decision making process - not a window size process. One of the reasons Harbaugh chose Kaepernick over Smith was because he was LESS protective than Smith not more protective - think about it. Do you honestly believe Kap is making decisions as protective as Smith with regard to window size???? C'mon now.

There is absolutely nothing legitimate about his concern or comparison and 100% of the evidence supports as such. His post was precisely as I described it, sorry.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, Smith has this problem and I think it would be there regardless of the coaching, but maybe the coaching is getting this to Kaep a little bit (obviously not every play). Protecting the ball is key, but I wonder if the coaching staff had some effect on Kaep like they did with Smith (with Kaep to a lesser extent). But then again, this was the Superbowl. Oh, and I'm not talking about the conservatism after the INT and Raven punt deep.
Sorry MH but you need to be corrected here - Needing large windows is for Smith a problem that begins with him having a weak arm and exacerbated by his history.

Kap has NONE of those issues - wondering if the coaching staff had some effect on Kap LIKE THEY DID WITH SMITH is ridiculous on every conceivable level.

Your continued effort to raise Smith's play by lowering Kap's even if by indirectly blaming the coaching staff is senseless - so please stop - seriously - please stop.

You're right, my fault. I didn't mean to raise Smith's play nor lower Kaep's. I tried to say what you said in the opening sentence with my opening sentence. I agree that his weak arm and history is the reason for his need for wide windows. I think those are why the coaching staff preached what they did to him. His weaknesses came first, it wasn't a coach driven thing.

I was trying to defend Kaep from what Hangman claimed (that Kaep was waiting for receivers to get open), but could have done that without reference to Smith or Kaep. I came to that conclusion because I don't see Kaep as a naturally hesitant player, so I assumed it was the coaching staff. But that has no similarity or comparison to Smith and I was wrong.

I should have just said that whatever Hangman said either wasn't true, wasn't often, and if so, might have been coaching staff a bit. I tried to directly blame the coaching staff, but I understand what it implies.

I have made the conversion to Kaep. I'm a QB guy and I defend QBs. I meant to defend Kaep here but did it poorly.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, my fault. I didn't mean to raise Smith's play nor lower Kaep's. I tried to say what you said in the opening sentence with my opening sentence. I agree that his weak arm and history is the reason for his need for wide windows. I think those are why the coaching staff preached what they did to him. His weaknesses came first, it wasn't a coach driven thing.

I was trying to defend Kaep from what Hangman claimed (that Kaep was waiting for receivers to get open), but could have done that without reference to Smith or Kaep. I came to that conclusion because I don't see Kaep as a naturally hesitant player, so I assumed it was the coaching staff.

I should have just said that whatever Hangman said either wasn't true, wasn't often, and if so, might have been coaching staff a bit. I tried to directly blame the coaching staff, but I understand what it implies.

I have made the conversion to Kaep. I'm a QB guy and I defend QBs. I meant to defend Kaep here but did it poorly.

Actually the assumption you made was the correctness of Hang's comment - and it wasn't correct at all - neither in contextual quality nor implied quantity. Kap was throwing darts and hitting bull’s-eye’s.

No football coach is ever going to tell his players, least of all their starting QB, to "play" differently in the biggest game of the season than the way they played to help put the team in that game in the first place.

What coaches will tell their players to be aware of is, their nerves; emotions and adrenaline levels, etc, etc.

And don't feel like you have to "convert" to Kap, be a fan of both but maybe soften up on the comparisons a little because, honestly there is no comparison.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also brooks offsides penalty on the 3 rd down incompletion pass when it was 0-0. Ended of scoring on that drive. He seeks to always be offsides

That was a killer.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep once again not paying attention to the play clock on our final possession was the big timeout killer. It was a total waste of a timeout and one we needed after failing to convert on 4th down. If we still had both timeouts we would have got the ball back close to mid field with a minute left in the game.

He definitely needs to get better at that as well as recognizing the defense quicker so he can change the play earlier in the clock and not run out of time.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second, on that long pass to Vernon Davis that was just off his finger tips. If caught that was a TD he clearly beat his defender and no safety was in position to catch him. When the ball was in the air you can see him look back and slow up. He then had to try and speed up again to try and catch up to it, but could not. If he ran at his normal speed it was a TD.

Wait a minute now, if he doesn't look back and slow up a little how is he going to know when to jump in the air needlessly when the ball arrives?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the one mistake Kaepernick made on that last series was becoming fixated on Crabtree and ignoring the other open receivers. Those were some very poor choices on the last three throws.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the one mistake Kaepernick made on that last series was becoming fixated on Crabtree and ignoring the other open receivers. Those were some very poor choices on the last three throws.

Yep, if CK had gone off-script on the 3rd & Goal we had a gimme-6 to Walker, who was standing alone just inside the goal-line.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, if CK had gone off-script on the 3rd & Goal we had a gimme-6 to Walker, who was standing alone just inside the goal-line.

Ha ha! I don't think there is any such thing as a "gimme" where Walker is concerned. But he definitely was open.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the assumption you made was the correctness of Hang's comment - and it wasn't correct at all - neither in contextual quality nor implied quantity. Kap was throwing darts and hitting bull’s-eye’s.

You're right, I gave Hangman the benefit of the doubt and worked off his statement. I didn't notice Kaep waiting for open receivers. I don't know why I didn't just ask him when that happened, because I don't remember those.

No football coach is ever going to tell his players, least of all their starting QB, to "play" differently in the biggest game of the season than the way they played to help put the team in that game in the first place.

What coaches will tell their players to be aware of is, their nerves; emotions and adrenaline levels, etc, etc.

I had assumed that whatever happened in the game was a season long change, not just a one game thing. So when he said he was waiting for receivers to get open, I had assumed it was just an observation of a 10 game trend that I didn't make. I don't notice everything, I'm more of a basketball guy. I should have just used my own judgment. I tend to operate under others' statements because I don't like argument on a message board, so I'll suggest an explanation taking someone else's premise as a given.

And don't feel like you have to "convert" to Kap, be a fan of both but maybe soften up on the comparisons a little because, honestly there is no comparison.

Kaep converted/is converting me, not me. ;) I wasn't trying to compare the two, just find a nexus between what Hangman said and the coaches. I tend to pick on coaches a bit. But again, I should have just asked him what he was talking about because I didn't see that from Kaep. I tend to give some the benefit of the doubt on observations. But I was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming up 5 yards short in the Super Bowl will still haunt Kaepernick forever.

He added only a few more new details on the final, fourth-down play. He said he audibled to the corner fade to Michael Crabtree once Baltimore showed blitz.
Crabtree got tangled up with cornerback Jimmy Smith, and Harbaugh begged and pleaded with officials from the sideline for a flag that never came. Kaepernick remained testy and defiant when questioned about his decision.

''I'll take Crab one-on-one with anybody,'' he said, tersely

Apparently Roman is off the hook for the horrendous 4th down call.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, I gave Hangman the benefit of the doubt and worked off his statement. I didn't notice Kaep waiting for open receivers. I don't know why I didn't just ask him when that happened, because I don't remember those.

I had assumed that whatever happened in the game was a season long change, not just a one game thing. So when he said he was waiting for receivers to get open, I had assumed it was just an observation of a 10 game trend that I didn't make. I don't notice everything, I'm more of a basketball guy. I should have just used my own judgment. I tend to operate under others' statements because I don't like argument on a message board, so I'll suggest an explanation taking someone else's premise as a given.

Kaep converted/is converting me, not me. ;) I wasn't trying to compare the two, just find a nexus between what Hangman said and the coaches. I tend to pick on coaches a bit. But again, I should have just asked him what he was talking about because I didn't see that from Kaep. I tend to give some the benefit of the doubt on observations. But I was wrong.

The only two passes in which Kap demonstrated any noticeable hesitation was on the dig/hitch/out whatever-the-fuck route Moss was trying to run near the end of the second quarter. The other pass was the one he mentioned just prior to our FG, but that wasn't a hesitation.

Honestly, you are safe taking nearly all posters on this board (including Hangman) at their word. However, when it comes to play or game analysis there is always going to be some grey area. It is nearly impossible to watch a game just once and comment accurately about what you saw.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming up 5 yards short in the Super Bowl will still haunt Kaepernick forever.

He added only a few more new details on the final, fourth-down play. He said he audibled to the corner fade to Michael Crabtree once Baltimore showed blitz.
Crabtree got tangled up with cornerback Jimmy Smith, and Harbaugh begged and pleaded with officials from the sideline for a flag that never came. Kaepernick remained testy and defiant when questioned about his decision.

''I'll take Crab one-on-one with anybody,'' he said, tersely

Apparently Roman is off the hook for the horrendous 4th down call.

The thing is the fade was there. If Smith doesn't violate the rules and hold Crabs then that was likely a TD. Kaep put the ball in the perfect spot.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is the fade was there. If Smith doesn't violate the rules and hold Crabs then that was likely a TD. Kaep put the ball in the perfect spot.

I thought it was a very poor call; way to difficult to complete. I'd have gone for the "back shoulder" throw.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I repeatedly heard the announcers in this game and the other playoff games say that Kaepernick was continually fitting passes into tight windows that most quarterbacks wouldn't attempt and that he trusted his arm would get the ball there. So I don't think him hesitating was much of a problem, since this is the non excuse thread and not the "Kaep or the offense is the reason why we lost at the end" thread, I'll just go back and say that the defense killed us, and allowing Baltimore to drive for a field goal to go up 34-29 was the real killer at the end. For every mistake the offense may have made the defense made about 5.