• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it’s all pretty funny. Mitchell’s twitter response was sort of weak but I give him credit for the rookie hoodie, even if Simmons technically qualifies under that definition.

It'll be interesting to see if the NBA responds in any way. It's interesting to me that Simmons was eligible, but Julius Randle, who broke his leg minutes into his first game and didn't play again all season wasn't.

I don't think it's enough of a trend to do anything about it yet. Right now it's just more of an interesting topic to discuss.

But if we start to see more and more teams holding guys out for an entire season, then it may be time for the league to address it.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting to see if the NBA responds in any way. It's interesting to me that Simmons was eligible, but Julius Randle, who broke his leg minutes into his first game and didn't play again all season wasn't.

I don't think it's enough of a trend to do anything about it yet. Right now it's just more of an interesting topic to discuss.

But if we start to see more and more teams holding guys out for an entire season, then it may be time for the league to address it.

I don’t think the NBA is going to do anything about it. Simmons wasn’t really redshirted, and he wouldn’t have been if he didn’t get injured. In actuality, he was probably held out of 20 or so games when he, medically, would have been ok to play. But even that’s an assumption because we just don’t know all the details.

The Randle situation is an interesting comparison. Maybe he should have been eligible for ROY the next year.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How cool is that? Apparently, the guy was supplementing his G-league income by also being a math teacher/tutor.

Waits 10 years, finally gets his shot and responds with the game of his life. I would love to see the Lakers, or really any team, give him a 2-3 year contract. Or at least a tryout. If that didn't work out, one of the commentators last night suggested a team hiring him as a coach.
The Lakers are totalling winning the PR game with this situation.

One, it's a lovely story.

Two, the guy showed he can play.

Kinda storybook in that Rudy, Rocky, Vince Papale kinda way.

Ffs, I hope they don't make a movie about this like they did the Blindside.

Kobe already has a Oscar.

* Totally see Michael B. Jordan as Ingram *

You greedy bastids don't need anymore accolades.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think the NBA is going to do anything about it. Simmons wasn’t really redshirted, and he wouldn’t have been if he didn’t get injured. In actuality, he was probably held out of 20 or so games when he, medically, would have been ok to play. But even that’s an assumption because we just don’t know all the details.

The Randle situation is an interesting comparison. Maybe he should have been eligible for ROY the next year.
It doesn't happen enough to warrant a change.

But, if they did, newcomer of the year sounds about right.

I'm not one who has a problem with Simmons winning.

That would be hypocritical when I was all about Blake winning.

But, outside of this particular situation, I think guys like Doncic and Rubio had a huge advantage, more so than any so called red shirt.

Both those guys had been pros for years, practicing, travelling, playing against grown men that were better, or at least equivalent, to G League talent.

But, Luka would be eligible just like Ricky was.

Ffs, 40 year old, drunk, dirty, homeless looking Milos is considered a rookie.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I don't think the NBA needs to or should bother to do anything at this time. Of course it wasn't a true redshirt year for him, it's just the term used by folks for lack of a better one.

But being with the team, practicing etc. with them before the injury and then again after, definitely gave him an advantage, imo. I just don't see it as anything worth addressing by the league.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are totalling winning the PR game with this situation.

One, it's a lovely story.

Two, the guy showed he can play.

Kinda storybook in that Rudy, Rocky, Vince Papale kinda way.

Ffs, I hope they don't make a movie about this like they did the Blindside.

Kobe already has a Oscar.

* Totally see Michael B. Jordan as Ingram *

You greedy bastids don't need anymore accolades.

It's interesting. I mean, there's a reason the guy was in the G-league for 10 years and never called up. Not even on a 10 day.

But there's also no denying that, at least last night, he looked like he belongs.

If he manages to turn this into actually playing in the league for a few years...then maybe they can look into a movie. lol

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While entertaining, let's hope the Jazz meet the Sixers in the finals, winner gets ROY and COY....

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While entertaining, let's hope the Jazz meet the Sixers in the finals, winner gets ROY and COY....
All bullshit aside, I'd watch that series.

Rather see that over Houston/Warriors vs. Craptors.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How cool is that? Apparently, the guy was supplementing his G-league income by also being a math teacher/tutor.

Waits 10 years, finally gets his shot and responds with the game of his life. I would love to see the Lakers, or really any team, give him a 2-3 year contract. Or at least a tryout. If that didn't work out, one of the commentators last night suggested a team hiring him as a coach.

Such an awesome story

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw something on Get Up that we all missed.....

David Robinson won too.

Unlike Blake and Simmons, he redshirted because of his Military commitment.

Didn't he miss 2 years?

I think string bean, Shawn Bradley, missed because of his Mormon mission too.

But, obviously, he didn't win.

I just brought it up as an example of a guy who would also face the scrutiny of what some see as a true rookie season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All bullshit aside, I'd watch that series.

Rather see that over Houston/Warriors vs. Craptors.

I got nothing against the Raptors but they are not a terribly exciting team to watch.

BTW, did you see Simmons response to Mitchell's hoodie?
Ben Simmons said:
If his argument is that I’m not a rookie, if that’s the only argument he has, I’m in pretty good shape then.

I love this stuff.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't happen enough to warrant a change.

But, if they did, newcomer of the year sounds about right.

I'm not one who has a problem with Simmons winning.

That would be hypocritical when I was all about Blake winning.

But, outside of this particular situation, I think guys like Doncic and Rubio had a huge advantage, more so than any so called red shirt.

Both those guys had been pros for years, practicing, travelling, playing against grown men that were better, or at least equivalent, to G League talent.

But, Luka would be eligible just like Ricky was.

Ffs, 40 year old, drunk, dirty, homeless looking Milos is considered a rookie.

I feel like creating another award would be weird but I’d prefer something like “best promising young player” and I’d make anyone eligible within 3 years of their draft season, so long as they are 25 or under. So guys like Dario or Embiid last year would have been eligible. So too would someone like KAT. Simmons would have been eligible this year. In theory, someone could win the award multiple times (but no more than 3 times).

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon everyone, its Simmons award and he earned it. Thats a different discussion than saying who among these players will be the best when they hit their primes at 25 or 26. Only time will tell. Personally I like that Tatum is a little salty about how its a Mitchell vs Simmons debate. Fun times ahead watching these three develop

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniel Theis was a find for Danny. Going to be a solid bench player for years to come

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sixers are clearly a system team such that any rookie can get a triple double....