• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rented it this past weekend. My daughter was home and we all watched it.

Misty-eyed at the proper spots, smiling at the proper spots.

Made me think of old Walt Disney stuff.

That was the only thing I liked about it. Slept through most of it though.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recent anime movies watched:

My Neighbor Totoro: B+
Spirited Away: A

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy you found something good.

I liked no CGI, no needless smut. I was AOK with it.

Star Wars is the only thing I'll watch with the fantasy and fake dodging of bullets and super heroes. Just a little too old for all of it.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw the Al Gore sequel to An Inconvenient Truth. Not as good as the original. If you have interest in this I would recommend Netflix if this is still around.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star Wars is the only thing I'll watch with the fantasy and fake dodging of bullets and super heroes. Just a little too old for all of it.
I was that way until I had kids. It always comes full circle. Avengers, Batman, Hulk, Minions - it's all about the kids, popcorn and such movies as a treat.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched The Glass Castle Saturday night. It had a B rating and that's about right. Good movie for grown ups. Woody Harrelson is really great in this film.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming you're referring to my thread about seeing it with my DS friend. He actually ended up having a Buddy Walk the Saturday we were supposed to see it, then I had some exams and shit, so we never saw it. He did, and loved it though.

Honestly, I'm not sure and I guess there's no objective right or wrong answer, but I'd lean towards "adult" and maybe "pre-teen" film. Again, I didn't see it, nor did I watch Power Rangers growing up, but didn't its "hay-day" air in the early '90s on TV? Assuming those nig/gas were around 10 when they watched it, that'd mean they're either in their mid-30s, if not pushing 40 now. I think that was the target audience. Mix nostalgia with current-day CGI and action, and make some money (I don't think it actually did well at the box though).

On the other hand, it definitely would appeal to pre-teens and children. I obviously don't give a motherfuck, but I think casting a black dude as one of the Power Rangers was a nod to the new generation, similar to how the live-action Beauty and the Beast had a gay character, IIRC. Hollywood is largely liberal (at least, they have the biggest voice right now in my opinion), and kids don't care because kids, unless influenced by their parents, don't care if a character is gay or black. They're just people to them. I'm liberal and am fine with gay people and black dudes, so, again, I really don't care. Just stating, as I see it, the facts.

So I'd say that it appeals to both. Upon consideration, maybe that's why it got lukewarm critical and commercial reception. What would you say?

Reading this, you don't know much about the history of the Power Rangers... at all. In the original show, the original Black ranger, Zack, was black. So the fact that they made Billy Cranston black has nothing to do with anything. Way to know nothing.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Belko Experiment - 4.5 out of 5 stars I loved this movie way more than I ever expected to. Lots of violence and good performances all around (John C. McGinley was great as the pervert turned psycho). The scary part is, is that this could have a remote chance of happening with people getting microchipped now.

I liked that movie more after I watched it. During the movie, I just sat there wondering why/how these office workers all had such deadly accuracy with a pistol... I know they set it up for a sequel and I am intrigued, but how far can they really take that idea?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North by Northwest: 3/5 stars. Nice performances all around, especially from Grant, but the middle part of the movie dragged. I did really enjoy the suspense that was built up at the house in South Dakota in the last 30 minutes of the film.

Also, this shit was hilarious:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading this, you don't know much about the history of the Power Rangers... at all. In the original show, the original Black ranger, Zack, was black. So the fact that they made Billy Cranston black has nothing to do with anything. Way to know nothing.
I already commented that I didn't know anything about PR when the original question was asked.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why did you keep talking about it like you thought you did?!
I was asked a question and took a stab from in the dark. I apologize. Life shall go on.