• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Greatest Sporting Event Ever?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Boise State College football game about ten years ago where they ran every trick play ever invented and they all worked! It was awesome!
Capped off by the hero RB Ian Johnson proposing to his cheerleader girlfriend. Also the fact that Boise was stiffed on the BCS because they didn't play in a "real" conference made their win over Adrian Peterson's Oklahoma that much bigger of a statement. I don't know if I'd say it was the greatest sporting events ever but it's worth a mention as one of the all-time classic bowl games for sure.

-------

How about Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth's all-time home run record? A feat that, at the time, transcended sports considering he was a black man in the deep South amid the tensions of Civil Rights.

I'd probably pick the Miracle on Ice as the number one greatest moment considering its social impact regarding the Cold War and the David and Goliath nature of the game with Soviet pros against American college kids.

Also don't forget Jesse Owen showing up Adolf fucking Hitler and his supposed "master race" at the Olympics... in Berlin... the capital of Nazi Germany.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
June 4, 1974: Cleveland Indians 10 cent beer night

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pistons vs Lakers game 5. 2004 NBA championship!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many have been mentioned already. Watching Secretariat in the Belmont is the one that still gives me chills whenever I watch it. The Thrilla in Manila is a good one. SB 3 is a personal favorite. At the time I was a 13 y/o Jets fan from NY and my family had just moved to MD. That was particularly satisfying... and lucrative. For the same reason Mets > Orioles in the WS that same year... but a series isn't a single event I guess. They're way before even my time but Joe Louis' KO of Schmeling deserves a shout out as does Jesse Owens' Olympic performance.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capped off by the hero RB Ian Johnson proposing to his cheerleader girlfriend. Also the fact that Boise was stiffed on the BCS because they didn't play in a "real" conference made their win over Adrian Peterson's Oklahoma that much bigger of a statement. I don't know if I'd say it was the greatest sporting events ever but it's worth a mention as one of the all-time classic bowl games for sure.

-------

How about Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth's all-time home run record? A feat that, at the time, transcended sports considering he was a black man in the deep South amid the tensions of Civil Rights.

I'd probably pick the Miracle on Ice as the number one greatest moment considering its social impact regarding the Cold War and the David and Goliath nature of the game with Soviet pros against American college kids.

Also don't forget Jesse Owen showing up Adolf fucking Hitler and his supposed "master race" at the Olympics... in Berlin... the capital of Nazi Germany.

There was a laughably bad hold that was missed on that 2 pt conversion.

Guy was dead in the water without it.

Plus again, OU lost that game with laughably bad defense on the hook and ladder. Bad play more than good play at the end of that game. I tend to favor games that were actually well played.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a laughably bad hold that was missed on that 2 pt conversion.

Guy was dead in the water without it.

Plus again, OU lost that game with laughably bad defense on the hook and ladder. Bad play more than good play at the end of that game. I tend to favor games that were actually well played.
Meh, still fun.

Eugene Baker III

"Oh a stitch in time, just about saved me..."
Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"...would it make the top sporting events ever?"

Secretariat at the Belmont Hell no!

Bob Beamon's long jump in the 1968 Olympics Sure.

Usain Bolt's 100 meter dash........9.58 Maybe

The 2012 Ryder Cup at Medina ......... Maybe

The 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team beats the Russians Nope!

Chamberlain scores 100 points in NBA game Yes.

Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak No.

Tiger Woods wins the 1997 MASTERS by 12 strokes at the age of 21 No.

Jim Thorpe.........anything he did Maybe

EMMITT SMITH breaks the All Time NFL rushing record Yeah right.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1958 NFL Championship game between the Colts and Giants. It was the first NFL playoff game to go into sudden death overtime.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Borg .....McEnroe..1980
Celtics......Lakers..1983-4

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1985 College Basketball Championship Game.

Underdog Villanova versus Goliath Georgetown

Nova plays perfect game, shoots .790 fg % for entire game, and still just wins by two points. Great Game!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one is easy...Kim Jong Il shoots 38 under par

Kim Jong-Il once carded 38-under par at Pyongyang Golf Course | Toronto Star

One of golf’s greatest feats is to shoot one’s age.

So, imagine how spectacular a day Kim Jong-Il had back in 1994. The North Korean dictator, who died on Saturday of heart failure at age 69, scorched the 7,700-yard Pyongyang Golf Course in a stunning 38-under par, 34.

Now, before getting all bent out of shape that such a score is impossible or clearly the product of creative scorekeeping on the part of the “Dear Leader,” it’s important to note that witnesses attest to his great round.

According to reports, Kim, who was 52 at the time, carded no worse than a birdie on any hole at the country’s only golf club. He also had five holes-in-one in the round, which was witnessed by 17 armed bodyguards.

“He is an excellent golfer,” Park Young Man, the club professional, told the International Herald Tribune a couple of months after Kim’s historic round, which was widely-reported in North Korea’s state-controlled media.

Good thing for Tiger Woods and his contemporaries Kim spent his time serving his people because clearly he could have ruled the PGA Tour too.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one is easy...Kim Jong Il shoots 38 under par

Kim Jong-Il once carded 38-under par at Pyongyang Golf Course | Toronto Star

One of golf’s greatest feats is to shoot one’s age.

So, imagine how spectacular a day Kim Jong-Il had back in 1994. The North Korean dictator, who died on Saturday of heart failure at age 69, scorched the 7,700-yard Pyongyang Golf Course in a stunning 38-under par, 34.

Now, before getting all bent out of shape that such a score is impossible or clearly the product of creative scorekeeping on the part of the “Dear Leader,” it’s important to note that witnesses attest to his great round.

According to reports, Kim, who was 52 at the time, carded no worse than a birdie on any hole at the country’s only golf club. He also had five holes-in-one in the round, which was witnessed by 17 armed bodyguards.

“He is an excellent golfer,” Park Young Man, the club professional, told the International Herald Tribune a couple of months after Kim’s historic round, which was widely-reported in North Korea’s state-controlled media.

Good thing for Tiger Woods and his contemporaries Kim spent his time serving his people because clearly he could have ruled the PGA Tour too.

He had 5 holes in one, in one round. Ohh that's funny, I can't stop laughing at that. I guess one was on a par 4 as well. Funny stuff.