• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts On The Ryder Cup

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations to the U.S team.....Although, I have been a fan of the European Team, before it had a winning tradition.
The European team had too many rookies......but Thomas Pieters did a nice job
The Europeans didn't seem to be as hungry.....But individuals did have good years ......The Masters, British Open,Fed Ex,and Olympic Champions

The five best matches........ some of the greatest golf ever played
Stenson - Rose vs. Spieth - Reed...2
Stenson vs Spieth
Reed vs McIlroy
Sergio Garcia vs. Mickelson.......maybe the greatest match ever

Sergio Garcia's record in the Ryder Cup...19 wins 11 losses 7 ties
Mickelson's record.......18 wins 20 losses 7 ties

Sergio ought to focus his Ryder Cup passion and tenacity into the Major championships

Mickelson has thrown two captains under the bus........Maybe he just needs to worry about himself and quit blaming others.....the task force BS......You might have guessed, I'm not a fan of Mickelson

I suppose there are some fans on both side of the Atlantic who are jerks.....but Hazeltine seemed to have plenty of non golf fans, who were obnoxious. Glad to see ejections.

I've always felt that Ryder Cup courses should be left alone and not tailored to the home team. It should be about the golf course, not the teams playing. The golf courses were designed to play as they were originally intended, it's should be about the integrity of the sport and the course. It would be nice to see Ryder Cup competitions at Augusta National or Cypress Point.....

And the coverage by NBC, was almost unwatchable

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations to the U.S team.....Although, I have been a fan of the European Team, before it had a winning tradition.
The European team had too many rookies......but Thomas Pieters did a nice job
The Europeans didn't seem to be as hungry.....But individuals did have good years ......The Masters, British Open,Fed Ex,and Olympic Champions

The five best matches........ some of the greatest golf ever played
Stenson - Rose vs. Spieth - Reed...2
Stenson vs Spieth
Reed vs McIlroy
Sergio Garcia vs. Mickelson.......maybe the greatest match ever

Sergio Garcia's record in the Ryder Cup...19 wins 11 losses 7 ties
Mickelson's record.......18 wins 20 losses 7 ties

Sergio ought to focus his Ryder Cup passion and tenacity into the Major championships

Mickelson has thrown two captains under the bus........Maybe he just needs to worry about himself and quit blaming others.....the task force BS......You might have guessed, I'm not a fan of Mickelson

I suppose there are some fans on both side of the Atlantic who are jerks.....but Hazeltine seemed to have plenty of non golf fans, who were obnoxious. Glad to see ejections.

I've always felt that Ryder Cup courses should be left alone and not tailored to the home team. It should be about the golf course, not the teams playing. The golf courses were designed to play as they were originally intended, it's should be about the integrity of the sport and the course. It would be nice to see Ryder Cup competitions at Augusta National or Cypress Point.....

And the coverage by NBC, was almost unwatchable

I've said many times, even the players I like, I don't root for golfers with this one exception...U.S.A!!!...always in this event.

I like Rory, Stenson, Darren Clarke and a few other Euro golfers...I really dislike Sergio and Poulter when it comes to the RC.

Fans...it is what it is...as you said, good to see those who went OTL tossed.

Course...no issue with me...the RC will always be about the players...whereas the course is part of the feature in a major.

imo it really doesn't give the home team an advantage because both teams get practice rounds on it before they tee it up for real....these touring pros adapt very quickly.

Mickelson...I mostly agree, but I guess he's at a stage in life where he really doesn't care, he's going to say what he feels.

NBC...??? I missed it. I might be in the minority on this, but I really don't pay much attention to what the announcer are saying...sometimes I have music playing and TV sound muted.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Course...no issue with me...the RC will always be about the players...whereas the course is part of the feature in a major.

imo it really doesn't give the home team an advantage because both teams get practice rounds on it before they tee it up for real....these touring pros adapt very quickly.

I disagree......The golf course personality and diffiiculty should be left alone. A great golf course should not be manipulated to try to favor one team. A golf course should be a unique test of golf.
It was no secret, more of the Americans had trouble hitting fairways during the regular tour season....That was brought up in the awful telecast. And the rough was ordered to be cut down lower by DLlll.

NBC...??? I missed it.
You never noticed TV commercials about every 5 minutes?.........Compare it to the Major's telecasts especially The Masters.......NBC must have had 20 sponsors or more.......Somebody, was making a lot of money...........obviously not the players.. Thank Goodness

But I've always loved the Ryder Cup.......because it's a different form of golf competition......and a TEAM sport.
That's why Arnie meant so much to the Americans and Seve to the Europeans......

Last edited:

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been strange though.........

Some golfers, clearly excel in the TEAM golf, of the RYDER CUP, but aren't anywhere as near as good in stroke play tournaments........and vice versa

In the Ryder Cup

Montgomery 23.5 points / 36 , Westwood 21 points / 37, Garcia 19 wins .......no majors won.....go figure

Mickelson played in 41 matches and has 18 wins
Tiger Woods played in 33 matches and has 14.5 points..........go figure

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree......The golf course personality and diffiiculty should be left alone. A great golf course should not be manipulated to try to favor one team. A golf course should be a unique test of golf.
It was no secret, more of the Americans had trouble hitting fairways during the regular tour season....That was brought up in the awful telecast. And the rough was ordered to be cut down lower by DLlll.

You never noticed TV commercials about every 5 minutes?.........Compare it to the Major's telecasts especially The Masters.......NBC must have had 20 sponsors or more.......Somebody, was making a lot of money...........obviously not the players.. Thank Goodness

But I've always loved the Ryder Cup.......because it's a different form of golf competition......and a TEAM sport.
That's why Arnie meant so much to the Americans and Seve to the Europeans......

Course...yeah I hear you, but we're not going to agree on that one...the course is never the main feature at a RC and it's the only time homefield advantage truly is in play so I'm all for the captains setting it up to favor their squad.

Telecast...I thought you meant the analysis, etc was terrible...I agree the commercials were excessive but they did show the split screen. In a regular golf tournament you have 140+ players paired down to 75 or so for the weekend...here they had 12 matches maximum going...24 players...there should be more down time, therefore more time for the network to insert commercials and make money...didn't like it so in that regard we agree, but I understand why.

The PGA of America and Euro Tour (or whomever profits from that side of the pond), are making a boatload of cash but we watch to see the players...I think they should be able to steer money to charities of their choice at the very least.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a bit embarrassed by the rowdiness of the crowd at time. Don't recall the euro fans being that boisterous and obnoxious - something that certainly will change come 2018