• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Golden Tate talk

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with the Hines Ward comparison too, and I hate it! It seems like Tate is a trash talker, and his blind-side blocks, while awesome to watch, are pretty dirty. If I have Tate pegged like I think I do, he is going to attempt to be a huge payday this offseason. If we can't get value in a new contract with him, I say let him walk. He is a really good player but I do not like the attitude. Hopefully I am way off base with my perception of him, but until I see otherwise...
This was posted way before Tate's ridiculous TD taunt so I think it is safe to say that I had him correctly pegged. Key word there though is "had". Today I finally saw "otherwise" from Tate. He played without his cocky attitude and had a great game.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it really matter if Tate has a similar (but less, we hope) skillset than Harvin?

Some are saying they cannot co-exist.

Me Says, I love Me some Tate. Fuking Tough. Every PR is an opp to get a TD, or great position.
Love me some Tate.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it really matter if Tate has a similar (but less, we hope) skillset than Harvin?

Some are saying they cannot co-exist.

Me Says, I love Me some Tate. Fuking Tough. Every PR is an opp to get a TD, or great position.
Love me some Tate.

I like Tate's toughness and abilities after the catch. He can play Z because of his very good ball skills.

I would assume Tate will be the permanent Z, Baldwin the X, Kearse could sub for either but is best suited as the Z and Harvin will be the Y.

It would be nice to get a taller Z, move Tate to the X and Harvin as the permanent Y. Not sure where Baldwin goes unless he wants a backup job. Baldwin can be a #3 for someone. Kearse is a versatile back up.

That is for our 11 formation. 12 or 21 will have Tate and Harvin.

Last edited by a moderator:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zach Miller's contract was mostly front loaded and is pretty team friendly from now on:
2013: $6.8m (+$3m roster bonus)
2014: $4.8m (+$1m roster bonus)
2015: $2.8m (+$2m roster bonus)

His cap hit will only shirk by the year, so from this point on his contract is favorable unless the Seahawks are okay with starting Luke Willson because I don't think Miller will restructure.

I'm not a fan of the 1. Percy Harvin 2. Golden Tate setup.

I say that because you have two players with similar skill sets (smaller, quicker, YAC guys) and with Percy Harvin's injury history the thought of Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin as the starting WRs worries me.

I know there is a lot of love for Golden Tate on this forum but I disagree with it. He struggles to get separation and his stats are somewhat padded by all the screens and designed deep balls thrown to him (most of which he does not even catch). There is no doubt in my mind that Sidney Rice is a far superior player and offers the Seahawks more variety.

Biggest problem with Sidney Rice is his contract is extremely unfavorable:
2013: $8.5m
2014: $8.5m
2015: $9m

I feel as if Sidney Rice is a much better option than Golden Tate but that cap hit does not equal his on field production.

In an ideal world I would restructure Sidney Rice's contract and let Golden Tate walk. Percy Harvin is a much better version of Golden Tate who can actually get open, and the case can be made that Doug Baldwin is not far behind Tate.

I think it comes down to either re-sign Golden Tate and cut Sidney Rice (Because even if you restructure Rice's contract, after signing Golden Tate the Seahawks will still have close to $20m in cap space tied up at WR) or restructure Sidney Rice and let Golden Tate walk.

A comparison of what we could expect a Golden Tate contract to look like (IMO) would be something along the lines of the contract the Lions gave Nate Burleson, which was $5m a year over 5 years. So I'd expect Tate to likely have a cap hit between $4 and $6m around 3-5 years.

I'd take Tate over Rice… Rice has been injury prone and Tate is a go to guy for Wilson… They have better chemistry on the field… Tate is a tougher guy and is way more crafty once he get's the ball…

Wedgie

My 8yr old me would love 59yo me.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like all our receivers, am pretty sure I'm alone on this.

I think the longer they play together, they will really become a solid unit working as one.
I say keep em all!! (We should be fine on salary cap for two years out yet, IMO)

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to keep Golden used to not think much about him but he has stepped up his game sense Sidney went down and FINALLY broke the mark of getting that 100 yard catch game which was first of the season for us.

Now im down for letting Sidney Walk, looking at what he has done for us sense he got to seattle doesnt help his cause to keep him here with percy, tate, and baldwin here. and it ESPECIALLY doesnt help his case that kearse has been scoring TDs and catching jump balls which really is sidneys job being a tall reciever.