• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Golden Tate talk

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, some say, let him walk, others, not so much.

I'm in the "Not let Golden Go" camp
This guy is huge, yet won't demand the huge salary. Get on it Hawks.

PR is a huge asset, you see he gets 10+ per PR. Love this GUY. Keep Him.

Discuss,

is he a top receiver?

Is he a top PR?

Do you just HATE ND?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep him. Let Rice walk

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice & Miller need to restructure, and Tate needs to stay. Go into 14' with:
1-Percy Harvin
2-Golden Tate
3-Doug Baldwin
4-Jermaine Kearse
5-??Stephen Williams??

The fifth spot may be a battle, but otherwise, our WR corp is pretty well set for awhile. If Miller leaves I see more of a need at TE.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice & Miller need to restructure, and Tate needs to stay. Go into 14' with:
1-Percy Harvin
2-Golden Tate
3-Doug Baldwin
4-Jermaine Kearse
5-??Stephen Williams??

The fifth spot may be a battle, but otherwise, our WR corp is pretty well set for awhile. If Miller leaves I see more of a need at TE.

Zach Miller's contract was mostly front loaded and is pretty team friendly from now on:
2013: $6.8m (+$3m roster bonus)
2014: $4.8m (+$1m roster bonus)
2015: $2.8m (+$2m roster bonus)

His cap hit will only shirk by the year, so from this point on his contract is favorable unless the Seahawks are okay with starting Luke Willson because I don't think Miller will restructure.

I'm not a fan of the 1. Percy Harvin 2. Golden Tate setup.

I say that because you have two players with similar skill sets (smaller, quicker, YAC guys) and with Percy Harvin's injury history the thought of Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin as the starting WRs worries me.

I know there is a lot of love for Golden Tate on this forum but I disagree with it. He struggles to get separation and his stats are somewhat padded by all the screens and designed deep balls thrown to him (most of which he does not even catch). There is no doubt in my mind that Sidney Rice is a far superior player and offers the Seahawks more variety.

Biggest problem with Sidney Rice is his contract is extremely unfavorable:
2013: $8.5m
2014: $8.5m
2015: $9m

I feel as if Sidney Rice is a much better option than Golden Tate but that cap hit does not equal his on field production.

In an ideal world I would restructure Sidney Rice's contract and let Golden Tate walk. Percy Harvin is a much better version of Golden Tate who can actually get open, and the case can be made that Doug Baldwin is not far behind Tate.

I think it comes down to either re-sign Golden Tate and cut Sidney Rice (Because even if you restructure Rice's contract, after signing Golden Tate the Seahawks will still have close to $20m in cap space tied up at WR) or restructure Sidney Rice and let Golden Tate walk.

A comparison of what we could expect a Golden Tate contract to look like (IMO) would be something along the lines of the contract the Lions gave Nate Burleson, which was $5m a year over 5 years. So I'd expect Tate to likely have a cap hit between $4 and $6m around 3-5 years.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, some say, let him walk, others, not so much.

I'm in the "Not let Golden Go" camp
This guy is huge, yet won't demand the huge salary. Get on it Hawks.

PR is a huge asset, you see he gets 10+ per PR. Love this GUY. Keep Him.

Discuss,

is he a top receiver?

Is he a top PR?

Do you just HATE ND?

I love GT .... Dude reminds me allot of what Hines Ward was for Pitt... Not very big but found way's to get open and it tough as they come... Him and Wilson seem to have good chemistry also... def one of Wilson's favorite targets out there..

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to wait and see, if Harvin comes in and makes Tate a redundancy then I might be ok letting him walk. I think rice walks too, but we will need a big outside guy to replace him and i dont think williams is that guy.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love GT .... Dude reminds me allot of what Hines Ward was for Pitt... Not very big but found way's to get open and it tough as they come... Him and Wilson seem to have good chemistry also... def one of Wilson's favorite targets out there..

I agree completely with the Hines Ward comparison. No way would I let GT walk unless he requires huge money to stay, but look around...WR's can demand a premium for their services. SF would kill to have GT on their team.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with the Hines Ward comparison too, and I hate it! It seems like Tate is a trash talker, and his blind-side blocks, while awesome to watch, are pretty dirty. If I have Tate pegged like I think I do, he is going to attempt to be a huge payday this offseason. If we can't get value in a new contract with him, I say let him walk. He is a really good player but I do not like the attitude. Hopefully I am way off base with my perception of him, but until I see otherwise...

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blind side blocks dirty?

Lee was assigned to cover Tate on the play when he got lit up. Getting "blind-sided" by the guy you are covering is just piss-poor defense, not dirty play.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee was assigned to cover Tate on the play when he got lit up. Getting "blind-sided" by the guy you are covering is just piss-poor defense, not dirty play.

:agree:

Maybe everyone in the NFL that gets "hit hard" should get free kittens to make them feel better?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate is not going to demand huge money. He has not put up the numbers to do so. he will get paid and paid well but not huge money.

I look at Tate as a sure handed WR that can give you 50 catches a season and maybe a few seasons with 70+ with also the ability to make those spectacular plays now and again. His role on this team is a lot like Bobby Engrams was. A Solid player who is a asset to the team but is no superstar. He very well could turn into a superstar but he is not one yet. No Team is going to pay Superstar money for Tate if he has not shown he IS one. We will be able to sign him again and he will not break the bank.

Yes he will be paid a lot more than he is now but he has put in the time and effort and earned a new contract, Saying he has not is just foolish.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with the Hines Ward comparison too, and I hate it! It seems like Tate is a trash talker, and his blind-side blocks, while awesome to watch, are pretty dirty. If I have Tate pegged like I think I do, he is going to attempt to be a huge payday this offseason. If we can't get value in a new contract with him, I say let him walk. He is a really good player but I do not like the attitude. Hopefully I am way off base with my perception of him, but until I see otherwise...

I find much to agree with and also a little to disagree with.

Agree
1) He's a trash talker
2) He's going want a huge payday
3) He is a good player
4) need a contract based on his actual worth
Disagree
1) His blind side hits are dirty

I see Golden as a solid WR, love his toughness, but he really struggles to get separation. However once he catches the ball, he's a threat, who will give up his body to score.
He's not worth big bucks, but with a reasonable contract I'm fine with resigning him.

I have no idea how the Seahawks will handle the WR situation, other then thinking that both Rice and Tate need come to terms with their worth if they want to remain Seahawks.

Almost forgot to address the hit on Lee, not dirty in the least IMO. I spent much time breaking various vids of the hit and I really didn't find it dirty in the least. The NFL found that there was some helmet to helmet contact, but it was only because the force of the hit caused Golden to slide up after the initial contact, while Lee heads was snapping forward. Just my take.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate wanting a huge contract and Tate actually getting a huge contract are two different things entirely. He's been solid for us since the beginning of last year, but solid doesn't get you a huge contract unless there's a coach out there who thinks that he would absolutely excel in his offense or there's a GM of a struggling team out there with money to spend who does the old "If I don't spend all this money now, I'm going to lose my job" thing and gives Tate a ridiculous amount of money for solid play.

The way I see it, there are a few ways this could go:

1) Tate decides that the championship potential of this team over the next few years is more important than money and re-signs in Seattle before ever testing the market.

2) Tate decides to test the market after another solid season and finds a team willing to overpay for a solid receiver because of one of the two scenarios I laid out earlier.

3) Tate decides to test the market and realizes that other teams don't value him as much as the Seahawks do, so he takes the Seahawks' best offer and stays put.

4) The Seahawks decide that they can't live without Tate as much as they can live without Rice, so they ask Rice to restructure or they cut Rice entirely. Cutting Rice frees up more money to give to Tate than restructuring with Rice does, but either result means Tate gets more money.

5) The Seahawks decide they can live without Tate because they have Harvin and because they can draft another receiver that fits with what they want to do on offense but brings a different set of attributes to the table from Harvin or Tate.

All in all, I trust Schneider and Carroll to be able to figure this all out.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its #5, this team values cheap contracts and if we think we can draft a big outside receiver next year I think Tate and Rice both leave.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its #5, this team values cheap contracts and if we think we can draft a big outside receiver next year I think Tate and Rice both leave.
:agree:Baldwin, look at the talent we have from all of our other wrs. When did we get them in the draft? Pretty sure Baldin, Kearse, and Williams were all undrafted. And all are are serviceable. We need every penny possible to resign Thomas, Sherman, Okung (assuming he isn't actually made of glass), Harvin, Wilson, etc.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you all say you see him wanting a huge contract. I ask Why where have you seen him say anything remotely connected to him wanting a huge contract?

I implore you all to talk to Tate and you would sing a VERY different tune. I have talked with him many times (Like i have said My Wife Works at the Vmac) and you all are off your rockers if you think he is looking for a money grab. Tate wants to be great and has said so repeatedly but not once has he ever said he is on his way or that he IS great. Also he likes to showboat and whats strange about that? 90% of all NFL players like to showboat. Tate works very very hard at becoming better, do not try and twist his love for the game and enjoyment in playing into something you all just assume.

really people, this is a pretty ugly thread on a very young and talented player that just wants to help the SEAHAWKS win.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It could happen, kind of depends if their is a big outside receiver available when your drafting in the 32nd spot.:lol:

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Tate and what he brings to the team...but his talents aren't irreplaceable by any stretch

I feel like when healthy I like what Sydney Rice brings to the table better. And while Tate may be more elusive and more of a play maker with the ball than Baldwin is...skill wise and production wise it's very close.

My personal preference is of course to keep Tate but if they were able to restructure Rice...I would be fine with Harvin and Rice starting and then Baldwin and Kearse at 3 and 4.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you all say you see him wanting a huge contract. I ask Why where have you seen him say anything remotely connected to him wanting a huge contract?

I implore you all to talk to Tate and you would sing a VERY different tune. I have talked with him many times (Like i have said My Wife Works at the Vmac) and you all are off your rockers if you think he is looking for a money grab. Tate wants to be great and has said so repeatedly but not once has he ever said he is on his way or that he IS great. Also he likes to showboat and whats strange about that? 90% of all NFL players like to showboat. Tate works very very hard at becoming better, do not try and twist his love for the game and enjoyment in playing into something you all just assume.

really people, this is a pretty ugly thread on a very young and talented player that just wants to help the SEAHAWKS win.

Dont get me wrong, I love Tate. I am merely coming at it from a business standpoint. If Harvin has a great second half, I really just dont see why we would need Tate. What we do need is a big time outside receiver that can get separation, and I dont think Rice is that player AND he is overpaid.

I only see Tate staying if he outperforms Harvin, which very well could happen. I am almost 100% sure that Rice is gone after this year though.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden Tate.

Love Him and What he brings to the team.