• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The DieHard Breakdown: WVU 74 Marshall 64

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV played a sloppy game tonight for the most part as they trailed for the first 36 minutes of the game before taking a lead. Over the last 3:41, Marshall imploded and the Mountaineers came walking out of the Charleston Civic Center with a blue collar victory. This was a game marred with turnovers as WV commits 16 and Marshall adds 15 more. Yet, it was the Mountaineers who never quit and continued to make plays down the stretch. Most impressive here tonight for WV was the bench play it received from Dibo, Browne and Watkins as this group combined for 27 points and 18 rebounds. If my memory serves me right, it has been many a moon since we have seen that. Brandon Watkins saw considerable playing time tonight and stepped up to the challenge. This will create some good competition between him and Williams and will only make that position more solid later in the season.
Statistically, the Mountaineers won the battle of the glass 38-35 while shooting a sleek 25-50 from the floor for 50%. WV makes 20-28 FT’s tonight but only 4-15 behind the arc. WV added 10 assists and 6 steals for the contest.
In conclusion, a win over Marshall is always a wonderful experience. My concern coming into this game was that the Freshman would not understand what it means. I think somebody gave them the message as they never quit and walked home with the Capital Classic trophy and bragging rights for another year. Now the Mountaineers will take a week off and regroup for a tough Purdue squad. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your country road has taken you!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved Huggy's comments to the on-the-court reporter last night at the half… "We couldn't play much worse."

Marshall was missing its top player who had been suspended, had multiple kids in foul trouble, and another who could barely walk…. and, WVU had trouble getting this win.

But, they did.

Watkins had a great game, and deserved MVP. Staten played great down the stretch. I liked that Huggy set up the iso plays for him. As I said earlier in the season, with the way the game is called now… he is going to be unstoppable.

After the game, Huggy said his kids kept asking him to run the zone trap defense… I can tell you they weren't the only ones asking for it. Maybe he couldn't hear me through the computer screen…

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game with the come from behind victory will do the team's confidence a lot of good. Marshall ALWAYS plays the Mounties tough on the hardwood.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someday they will play this game in something more than a rundown barn civic center worse than jr high gym cant even simulate conditions in practice