• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WV 78 UCONN 68

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all of you have heard the cliché, "Good Defense wins Championships" right? The truth to that statement was found in the Championship game of Puerto Rico Tip Off Classic between WV and UConn. The Mountaineers used a smothering defense to storm out to a 15 point lead (47-32) at halftime and held on down the stretch to snap the longest winning streak in College Basketball (10 games). UConn, the Defending National Champions of last year, struggled against the relentless full court pressure of WV by committing 19 turnovers. I don't think I have ever saw a UConn club as rattled as I saw tonight. The only thing that would have made this win sweeter was if Jim Calhoun was there as well.

WV was led by Jawan Staten's 21 points. The pre season All American candidate knocked down 9-12 free throws to help seal the win. Holton and Miles. Jr. chipped in 12 and 10 respectively to round out the only double figure scorers on this evening. Yet, this game was not about scoring, it was about defense. A defense that had 11 steals and had UConn trash talking and completely out of character. What was most impressive about this performance, was people actually knew there assignment pretty good. Very few breakdowns in the press and the half court defense. WV got out rebounded in the game (40-35) but mostly because Williams and Holton got into foul trouble and sat most of the first 12 minutes of the 2nd half.

Key observations:
1)Miles can shoot. This kid is a much better shooter than I thought. He can stroke the 3 ball. He has hit big shots the last 2 games. For a freshman, he is impressive.
2)Holton on the point in the press is going to give any team in America fits. His wing span must be 9-10 feet. He is the cog to the press.
3) Hall of fame coaching move of the day goes to Huggs for setting Williams and Holton til the 8 minute mark of the 2nd half. That was a huge factor in winning this game.

So all in all, I could not be happier with the start to this season. We are 5-0 and I promise you this team will be ranked next week. No question this is a top 25 team and a team that is going to give the Big 12 a nightmare. What I like the most is nobody is bitching. Everyone of these kids is buying into the system. No complaining about minutes when you use 9-10 players in every game huh? Now you want to know the scary part of this equation? This team is going to get better when Brandon Watkins comes back. You have to be excited for the basketball program after these last 2 games. Cant wait to see more. Have a great day Mountaineer Fans wherever your country road has taken you!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team can defend. The beauty of rotating 10 guys is that they can totally wear down an opponent.

I loved reading Huggy's comments post-game when he mentioned Carter told him he wanted to guard Boatright. Huggy's resonse? Go get him.

Gotta love it!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all of you have heard the cliché, "Good Defense wins Championships" right? The truth to that statement was found in the Championship game of Puerto Rico Tip Off Classic between WV and UConn. The Mountaineers used a smothering defense to storm out to a 15 point lead (47-32) at halftime and held on down the stretch to snap the longest winning streak in College Basketball (10 games). UConn, the Defending National Champions of last year, struggled against the relentless full court pressure of WV by committing 19 turnovers. I don't think I have ever saw a UConn club as rattled as I saw tonight. The only thing that would have made this win sweeter was if Jim Calhoun was there as well.

WV was led by Jawan Staten's 21 points. The pre season All American candidate knocked down 9-12 free throws to help seal the win. Holton and Miles. Jr. chipped in 12 and 10 respectively to round out the only double figure scorers on this evening. Yet, this game was not about scoring, it was about defense. A defense that had 11 steals and had UConn trash talking and completely out of character. What was most impressive about this performance, was people actually knew there assignment pretty good. Very few breakdowns in the press and the half court defense. WV got out rebounded in the game (40-35) but mostly because Williams and Holton got into foul trouble and sat most of the first 12 minutes of the 2nd half.

Key observations:
1)Miles can shoot. This kid is a much better shooter than I thought. He can stroke the 3 ball. He has hit big shots the last 2 games. For a freshman, he is impressive.
2)Holton on the point in the press is going to give any team in America fits. His wing span must be 9-10 feet. He is the cog to the press.
3) Hall of fame coaching move of the day goes to Huggs for setting Williams and Holton til the 8 minute mark of the 2nd half. That was a huge factor in winning this game.

So all in all, I could not be happier with the start to this season. We are 5-0 and I promise you this team will be ranked next week. No question this is a top 25 team and a team that is going to give the Big 12 a nightmare. What I like the most is nobody is bitching. Everyone of these kids is buying into the system. No complaining about minutes when you use 9-10 players in every game huh? Now you want to know the scary part of this equation? This team is going to get better when Brandon Watkins comes back. You have to be excited for the basketball program after these last 2 games. Cant wait to see more. Have a great day Mountaineer Fans wherever your country road has taken you!

Nice win over UCONN...but candidly neither team looked like world beaters last night......

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win over UCONN...but candidly neither team looked like world beaters last night......

For the first half of the game, WVU certainly did...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see much more optimism this year. Looks like we may be pretty good. Thanks for the post Die Hard, I have not been able to endure the pain of watching this BB team the past couple of years. I may just turn on the TV or head to the Coliseum for a game or two this year.

Feel free to call me a anotherbandwagon fan.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying we are a Top 10 team, but I will say this.

We are one of the few teams in the Nation that if we played Kentucky 5 times, we could reasonably EXPECT to win at least once. We have a deep bench, we defend, we cause match up problems. And Hugs seems to have Calipari's number. To me, that means we have a shot.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To halves to a basketball game??

Yep... and, they played pretty damn well in the 2nd half too... maybe not world beaters... but, they took UConn's best shot... and won by double digits.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep... and, they played pretty damn well in the 2nd half too... maybe not world beaters... but, they took UConn's best shot... and won by double digits.

Did you ask for rose colored glasses for Xmas and they came early??...you look at the number of turnovers and shooting percentages for both teams and tell me that what's college hoops is all about!!:lol:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you ask for rose colored glasses for Xmas and they came early??...you look at the number of turnovers and shooting percentages for both teams and tell me that what's college hoops is all about!!:lol:

WVU shot nearly 46% for the game... you gotta problem with that? :lol:

Against a team that plays great defense like UConn's, I don't believe 12 TO's is a huge number for WVU either. UConn forced 14 Dayton TO's, and 13 against UofC.

WVU forced 19 UConn TO's... each of the 4 previous teams WVU has played had 20+. UConn only had 8 TO's against Dayton. You think there is a connection? WVU's pressure defense is gonna create a shit load of TO's this year. It totally got into Boatright's head...

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we world beaters? Hell no but we are getting the most out of the talent right now. Another thing, if you are looking for 60% FG shooting and 5 or less turnovers, turn the channel cause you wont find it here. What you find is a hard playing group who is buying into the hustle concept and not whining like Aaric Murray. The wins wont be pretty but the defense is good enough to offset poor shooting. Remember, we are putting 4 Freshman on the floor as well. This team could very well win its first 10 or 12 games. LSU and NC State are not that good and I don't see us losing to Marshall or VT. This team has just as much potential as Dejean and company did on the ride to the Final 4.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To halves to a basketball game??

That was the best outing, IMO , from wvu basketball since the year we lost to UK in the ncaa. UCONN May be down a notch right now, but they are still a capable team that we beat by double digits.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is the first major test of the season - and they passed. A lot of time to work on percentages.
They played great defense, which was a little lacking the last few seasons with a few exceptions.
I am more concerned with their performance against BC. They should have played them better.
But 5 games into the season - WVU is ranked (when was the last time they were ranked?).

They have LSU, Marshall, NC St and Va Tech before starting B12 play. I for one think they have a
chance to roll into the Jan. 3rd game at TCU undefeated. Yes, my glasses came in early as well. :hope:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the first major test of the season - and they passed. A lot of time to work on percentages.
They played great defense, which was a little lacking the last few seasons with a few exceptions.
I am more concerned with their performance against BC. They should have played them better.
But 5 games into the season - WVU is ranked (when was the last time they were ranked?).

They have LSU, Marshall, NC St and Va Tech before starting B12 play. I for one think they have a
chance to roll into the Jan. 3rd game at TCU undefeated. Yes, my glasses came in early as well. :hope:

We see things the same way brother!...I think it was a nice early win beating the defending NC...but both teams didn't exactly execute well...

From Huggin's himself and I agree with him!....

"We play so hard," said West Virginia coach Bob Huggins. "I'm not sure they know what the heck they are doing all the time - and I'm not sure what they are doing all the time - but they play so hard and it kind of compensates for some of that."

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
considering how mediocre at best UConn was last season until the conference tournament started, I wouldn't take much out of beating UConn at this point. Replacing a floor leader takes a while to adjust to. IMO

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
considering how mediocre at best UConn was last season until the conference tournament started, I wouldn't take much out of beating UConn at this point. Replacing a floor leader takes a while to adjust to. IMO

Now that is an ass backwards way to look at it.....it clearly will matter vs RPI and bonus points for beating a ranked team on the road......

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UConn was mediocre at best last season? I guess going into conference play with 1-loss is considered mediocre?

They beat Indiana, UF and Washington last year in pre-conference play.

You want to stick to this mediocre label? :lol:

DrPhil58

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good analysis from Diehard. I watched the game and was thrilled to see how well the press continues to bother the opposing teams. Boatwright was visibly upset because he could not get into a rhythm and you could tell he did not like it when he had someone in his face for most of the game. In my humble opinion he was annoyed with the fact that a freshman was guarding him so closely and he wasn't always getting the calls he wanted.

The team is looking good right now and could cause trouble for Kansas, Texas, Iowa St and others within the Big 12. But I will hold out any predictions and see if they stay consistent and if injuries do not hit the team down the stretch. But I do like this team very much and hope they go deep into the tourney.