• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The committee experiment failed

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and in your world, playing 3 FCS teams has no punishment and playing Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma has no reward. So you want to make it so nonconference are pointless but it should help out Ohio State that year because it’s Ohio State and your Scarlet and Gray glasses are on. Why should non-conference games matter that season but it shouldn’t matter going forward?

Baylor was the real Big12 champs since they beat TCU, or do you believe that Michigan was the co-division Champ last season?
are you the creator of the straw man term or something?

I just told you Baylor should have been left out and was in 2014 because of their weak OOC schedule, but you now say I think it doesn't matter? When did I say OOC shouldn't matter?

As for Baylor being the champ you can take it up with the B12 conference as they listed them as co-champs.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why take a chance? Ask FSU if they would rather sit their quarterback against Bama a couple years ago or let him get hurt and be out all season?
You would take a chance because you know you might not win your conference and being able to point to tougher wins might help your case to be team 6-8 (please read this until it sinks in so I don't have to keep repeating it). Or, if they allow top 4 seeds to play round 1 at home, those tough OOC wins might give you a home game in round 1.

You want 4 teams. Ok, Cool. No need to be irrational and make up straw man arguments to prove why it is better.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you the creator of the straw man term or something?

I just told you Baylor should have been left out and was in 2014 because of their weak OOC schedule, but you now say I think it doesn't matter? When did I say OOC shouldn't matter?

As for Baylor being the champ you can take it up with the B12 conference as they listed them as co-champs.
By giving conference champions free rides to the playoffs regardless of their schedule or record you are saying that the non-conference schedule doesn’t matter.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would take a chance because you know you might not win your conference and being able to point to tougher wins might help your case to be team 6-8. Or, if they allow top 4 seeds to play round 1 at home, those tough OOC wins might give you a home game in round 1.
Or you can lose your entire season on a game that has next to no chance to help you make the playoffs. But of course we see starting quarterbacks play complete games in the preseason in the NFL, right?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By giving conference champions free rides to the playoffs regardless of their schedule or record you are saying that the non-conference schedule doesn’t matter.
Please read this as many times as it takes until it sinks in (From what I've seen, we are talking at least a dozen more tries so don't rush)...........

Team do not KNOW they will win a CCG, so might want to have something to fall back on should they not win their conference and help them get one of the other 3 spots.

In addition, if they allow seeds 1-4 a home game in round 1 that might also be something that could be enhanced with a tougher OOC schedule.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you can lose your entire season on a game that has next to no chance to help you make the playoffs. But of course we see starting quarterbacks play complete games in the preseason in the NFL, right?
are you just messing with me? No one can be this irrational. Now you would compare preseason games that don't count in regular season records/rankings to the OOC games in CFB?

I guess if you are just messing with me, well played.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you just messing with me? No one can be this irrational. Now you would compare preseason games that don't count in regular season records/rankings to the OOC games in CFB?

I guess if you are just messing with me, well played.
Let’s try this again....
If the most important thing is to win your conference, why would you intentionally put your season on the line of a game, that has literally no possible chance to help you win the conference which again is most important, with the possibility of a star player being injured. We see it all the time where a player gets injured and is out for the season. You are either going to schedule the easiest schedule possible, because again, doesn’t hurt you in making the playoffs and you can rest your players so you have a chance at winning your conference, again most important because it gives you a free ride regardless of your schedule or record.

We have teams playing two FCS teams now when the nonconference schedule does matter, you think people will toughen up their schedules when all you have to do is win your conference?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please read this as many times as it takes until it sinks in (From what I've seen, we are talking at least a dozen more tries so don't rush)...........

Team do not KNOW they will win a CCG, so might want to have something to fall back on should they not win their conference and help them get one of the other 3 spots.

In addition, if they allow seeds 1-4 a home game in round 1 that might also be something that could be enhanced with a tougher OOC schedule.
People try this sorry logic, but it doesn't make as much sense as it does in your head.

It's not just winning or losing those tougher OOC, it's injuries. Once the top teams start going creampuff only, others will follow. Play the easiest route to winning your conference and preventing injuries.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your arguments ... and they are good valid points, but I just happen to think differently ...If you win a P5 Conference Championship, you deserve to move on. IMHO

There are exactly 130 Division One NCAA Football Teams (I was just guessing before). I agree do let it go to the judges, win the P5 Conference Championship.

List of NCAA Division I FBS football programs - Wikipedia

So we were both right on the numbers ... Yes, FBS!!!
you had said 130 D1 teams not FBS FCS is D1 too bub

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s try this again....
If the most important thing is to win your conference, why would you intentionally put your season on the line of a game, that has literally no possible chance to help you win the conference which again is most important, with the possibility of a star player being injured. We see it all the time where a player gets injured and is out for the season. You are either going to schedule the easiest schedule possible, because again, doesn’t hurt you in making the playoffs and you can rest your players so you have a chance at winning your conference, again most important because it gives you a free ride regardless of your schedule or record.

We have teams playing two FCS teams now when the nonconference schedule does matter, you think people will toughen up their schedules when all you have to do is win your conference?
I see you did not read my comment last time until you understood. Tsk, tsk.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People try this sorry logic, but it doesn't make as much sense as it does in your head.

It's not just winning or losing those tougher OOC, it's injuries. Once the top teams start going creampuff only, others will follow. Play the easiest route to winning your conference and preventing injuries.
Except it's also very possible when the top teams know they can lose OOC and still get to the CFP that might allow them to schedule tougher OOC games.

You get you can get hurt in games against creampuffs, right, and teams play their regulars in these games at least until they are well in hand.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see you did not read my comment last time until you understood. Tsk, tsk.
I read and understood it. You would intentionally allow your season to be ended before it starts because a preseason game has a 2% chance of mattering rather than making sure that your team is as healthy as possible for the real season begins, to the conference season.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except it's also very possible when the top teams know they can lose OOC and still get to the CFP that might allow them to schedule tougher OOC games.

You get you can get hurt in games against creampuffs, right, and teams play their regulars in these games at least until they are well in hand.
'possible'. Let's throw out college football and try something that looks bad, because it possibly could suck less than some fear. Sounds legit.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read and understood it. You would intentionally allow your season to be ended before it starts because a preseason game has a 2% chance of mattering rather than making sure that your team is as healthy as possible for the real season begins, to the conference season.
do you think the top SEC teams need to play their regulars in FCS Week in the SEC?

Yet they do.

try again.....maybe another Straw Man argument? Haven't heard one in a while.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'possible'. Let's throw out college football and try something that looks bad, because it possibly could suck less than some fear. Sounds legit.
More legit than saying teams would not play regulars for fear of them getting hurt when many teams play their regulars against FCS competition right before they play their big rivalry game.

Here's where a rational person says "that's a good point. Forgot about that."

so I get that isn't in you to say.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More legit than saying teams would not play regulars for fear of them getting hurt when many teams play their regulars against FCS competition right before they play their big rivalry game.

Here's where a rational person says "that's a good point. Forgot about that."

so I get that isn't in you to say.
No, a rational person says the current system has been working for the given goal so there is no need to tinker with it to the point where there is a risk of making it worse to begin with.

Losses matter. More so in college football than any other sport at any level. You have even one loss and your post season goals could be over. And many of us like it that way. It's intense. You are on the edge of your seat for every close game. EVERY one.

Autobids kill that. 2 and even 3 losses do not necessarily prevent you from going to a post season. A now watered down invitational more than a top 4 playoff. I don't stress over losses with my NFL team like I do college. And I enjoy both filling their individual roles.

Now you not only want to do that, but insist it is 'possible' (not probable mind you) it won't have any type of negative impact on OOC scheduling among top level teams.

Many SEC teams already don't schedule top level teams as it is. They don't feel they need to because of the bump their own conf slate adds. Somehow you actually don't only not seeing this trend growing under an autobid, but somehow reversing.

I get why some want to have more playoffs and more hope for more teams. We all like the NFL playoffs. It works there. It cannot possibly work at the college level. The parity of scheduling isn't there to support it like the NFL. It's entirely a deal breaker.

Autobids are a very bad idea. It waters down the regular season (which is part of the playoffs in college football if you think about it) and it threatens to completely eliminate any remaining hope of having decent OOC games to watch each year.

No freaking thank you.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care what happens next. Just no BCS. No.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care what happens next. Just no BCS. No.
The BCS also met the stated goals.

It was formed to prevent split titles and to at least ensure the eventual champion had to beat one top ranked team to earn it. BYU's title in '84 where they didn't play a single year end ranked team is one example, and UW/Miami in '91 is another. There were other such situations.

The BCS entirely flawlessly plugged both of those holes.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the BCS, myself.