• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Celtics would be fools not to trade Rajon Rondo

majoyenrac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rajon Rondo might be the best passer in the NBA. He's also a bit of a sleuth on defense--tends to be towards the top of the league in steals. He's also shockingly a very good rebounder (despite not having much size or strength compared to other PG's). He's very active, and has a great motor.

He's a winner....

He's on a reasonable contract for the rest of this year and next year ($12M/per).

He's a solid player....

All those accolades over....he's not a top tier #1 talent on a team. He was a good, solid player who also was on a team with talent perfectly geared for him. He's 11 days from being 28.

While he gets steals, he gambles defensively. He no longer has a still near his prime and prime Kevin Garnett to bail him out.

He can't shoot. Too much is made of that shooting, since that's not necessarily his only weakness, but it's a legitimate weakness.

I know he's coming off an ACL, but he's more or less bounced back into his role these first 9 games with a little rust, but this is kind of who he is.

The Celtics cannot build a team necessarily around him as their #1 go to player. On top of that he'll command a higher price after next year than what he's getting and the C's aren't going to rebuild quick enough to be ready for his services so soon.

They can get a decent amt for him with likey several teams interested in his services.

Trade 1: Why not do a Rondo + Green for Carmelo Anthony deal Boston? I know you run the risk of losing Melo for nothing, but Melo is a guy you can still perceivably build around. You may get a top 1-5 pick this year to boot, and have more of that coming thanks to Jersey. Plus NY would be open to make that deal because on the marquee, Rajon Rondo is a superstar, and getting a young, decent Green would help them a bit.

As a Bulls fan I want Melo, but Chicago can't get him via trade (since the NY Media would kill NY if they dealt Melo for a trade revolving around Taj Gibson and picks)....NY wouldn't dare do a Melo for Boozer and picks deal, and Chicago ain't trading Noah (they refused to trade Noah to the Nuggets for Melo years ago, and I doubt after what Noah's doing for Chicago now, they'd deal him for anyone not named James, Durant, etc, even if others hav emore talent--you can't teach that heart.

Given Melo might be too splashy to grab from the Knicks (I think the Knicks are going to wait until after the year to try to keep Melo first)....why not try the following:

Trade 2: Rondo to the Pistons for Greg Monroe, Brandon Jennings and a 2015 top 5 protected pick? Quite a haul, but the Pistons have to be aggressive given Dumars probably wants to keep his job, and Rondo might help balance that roster, plus with Drummond on the team he'd have a partner that would be perfect for him...and they could move Smith back to the 4 (that plus maybe Lionel Hollins) would help that talented roster quite a bit. Jennings is moving from overrated rookie to totally underrated player today, and Greg Monroe seems the makings of a star PF down the line (And one that needs a change in scenery). They'd need to give him a new contract this summer, but I think the going is right to get him for 4 yr $45M range.

Trade 3: Rajon Rondo and Jared Sullinger to the Timberwolves for Ricky Rubio, Nikola Pekovic and a future first round pick.
This is a bold move for the C's, but given their draft stock, might be a solid one. Rubio is a better defender overall than Rondo but a believe it or not worse shooter....probably in the same realm as a passer. Pekovic is horribly underrated in Minny. THe future first is the price to take the flashier all star from Boston, and helps in their rebuild. Minnesota is shockingly not better despite having a decent on paper roster. Rondo may help them, may not, but at least gives Kevin Love a name to feel they're trying.

I'm also sure the Lakers would love to have him, but I don't know why the C's would want Gasol...but possibly:
Trade 4: Rondo and Gerald Wallace to the Lakers for Pau Gasol and Jordan Hill. THis is a cap clearing move for the C's plus may give them close to the funds to make a run for a max free agent (if they let Gasol and HIll go)....

For the Lakers, they get the PG they want, have him with Kobe for a bit, and I think Wallace might be happier in LA than Boston....D'Antoni and Rondo seem a match made in heaven. Lakers can let Nash retire and will regroup for 2014-2015.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go fuck yourself.

There's no acceptable scenario where rondo moves.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also all these deals are terrible even if moving rondo was an option.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting trade ideas.

I don't see the C's trading Rondo for 'Melo. 'Melo is a ballstopper and doesn't play defense. I don't see him as someone you can build around. The C's could build around Rondo more easily than 'Melo because Rondo will actually pass the ball.

As a Lakers fan, obviously I find trade scenario #4 most interesting. Pau would be good for the C's if he continues to play at the level that he was prior to the groin strain AND the C's can be assured that he re-signs at a lower rate. If the C's get a big in the draft, Pau would be a great mentor for that player.

Not sure that I like giving up Jordan Hill, I like the energy and athleticism that he brings. He would be a good fit in Boston and C's fans would appreciate him for how hard he plays.

And you're right, Rondo would be a great fit in D'Antoni's offense. End of the day though, I don't see the C's trading him.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Trade #2 is interesting, and if I was Danny, I would listen.

I think its mute to discuss Dantoni and Rondo. That coach has about 16 months more before he is gone from LA.

Nothing else is interesting

BTW, Sully himself is turning into a 20-10 star. He is worth more than Rondo already.

If I am Danny I build around Sully, Rondo, AB. Everyone else if tradeable. He has his future 1,2, and 4 now. He needs to use his assets and picks to get his 3, and his 5. Bench should be ok with guys like Kelly O and Pressey

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had thought the Celtics mindset was to have a very young team that they could build around and coach up.

Most likely they would trade Rondo for several young promising players and/or draft picks, I would think, or they won't trade him at all.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would need to be a big package for sure. Celtics are still a year or two from Playoff caliber with these youngsters so maybe, just maybe another Nets like deal will be proposed by the teams that have all the picks.

Anyone notice that there is about 6 teams that own all the future draft picks. Strange trend

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would need to be a big package for sure. Celtics are still a year or two from Playoff caliber with these youngsters so maybe, just maybe another Nets like deal will be proposed by the teams that have all the picks.

Anyone notice that there is about 6 teams that own all the future draft picks. Strange trend

Dude, you have Danny Ainge for a GM and some kid from college pretending to be an NBA coach. You're five years out from anyone even noticing you're still in the NBA. Right now Charlotte is in better shape to contend.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer, the rebuild is on a full court press right now.

I just hope Danny does not pull a Peyton and blow the opportunity he has been handed.

majoyenrac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics aren't in as bad shape in the next 3-5 yrs if they play their cards right given the big swindle they got from the Nets....

But it'll be a few years...this year's draft is stocked, and they should get one of the promising guys so long as they don't pick a Darko....and they may get a few good ones with at least 2 draft picks in 2014 today.

The new CBA makes it hard to build a roster via a trade, it puts more focus on building a roster from drafting correct, and pursuing the "last piece" trade.

Boston is doing the right thing right now, but hanging onto Rondo just to likely have him walk after the 2014-2015 year is foolish....especially when it's likely after next year that they may have a couple of key bigs and a budding superstar to have to pay in the shorter term.

Why hang onto a valuable asset to see his trade value drop and see his numbers drop (as without hte players Rondo's shooting limitations will be more exposed, and his stock will hurt).

This is the perfect opportunity for them, esp with the stocked draft around the corner.

The Melo deal isn't bad beacuse while he may be of equal skill in some ways than Rondo, his skills won't diminish, and his abilities are harder to find in the field than a good passing PG. Rondo is a very polarizing player, and an elite PG in today's day, but is not the top banana, and his skills may diminish with this knee injury by the time they are restacked. Melo's skills should age well in time given he's a decent shooter, has great footwork...and let's face it Melo is just a better player than Rondo.

The Sullinger thing, sure he's what 13-8 now (or 18 and 11 per 36) on a really crappy team. He's an ok piece, but not a star in the making yet. Could he be? Of course there's a chance given his age, but there's a greater chance he isn't the piece to build upon.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rondo is a good fit for developing youngsters. I would like him to stay.

Melo has never shown me any ability to make those around him better. There is a reason he has never gone deep into playoffs. Not his pedigree

Sully is a horse, and unlike Love he loves to play defense. A total package and one that should really peak in the next 3 years or so when they will want to make a run.

That said, if someone gives Danny a great deal on Rondo, its worth listening

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not compare Sully to Love. Love is light years better on the offense end. Sully has a lot to prove offensively. Dude shouldn't be launching up so many 3-pointers.

majoyenrac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the Melo doesn't make teammates better....I don't get how Rondo did (Rondo played with 3 HOFers still at the end of their prime)....How is a team with Bargs, JR Smith, Raymond F-ing Felton, a half kneed Amar'e Stoudemire, Pablo Prigioni, and the O guru of Tyson Chandler supposed to be nearly as stacked as Rondo-Pierce-Garnett, Allen....

That cliche is overused...

Carmelo is a very good player (maybe not a top 10 player, but not far off that mark, and definitely a top 10 talent).

The Lakers, C's, and basically every team that doesn't have Lebron and Durant would love to have him as their SF....and I'm sure if they could the Heat and Thunder would love to have him on their team and find a way to fit him in as a starter (Hybrid 3-4 with Lebron a hybrid 1-3 sort of thing).

Melo is an unbelievable talent....if he was on Chicago (if we kept Noah and had a healthy Rose, wow we'd be awesome)....

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule, Love plays no defense. If you have him you need a big defender still. Sully plays both sides. Give Sully another two years and his offense will also be there.

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule, Love plays no defense. If you have him you need a big defender still. Sully plays both sides. Give Sully another two years and his offense will also be there.

Love may not be the best defender, but he does in fact play defense:

PLAYER POS GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% ORG DRG TRG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
Kevin Love PF 49 49 36.3 45.4 36.4 82.0 3.3 10.0 13.3 3.9 0.9 0.4 2.3 1.9 25.7

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In two years Sully will be better than Love? Celtic delusion in full display.

majoyenrac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BobGnarly,

And the Bulls let Jamal Crawford go for nothing, and Ben Gordon (who had high value when he left Chicago) walk for nothing, and Luol Deng go for not an asset and a couple of potential first round picks, but more likely (As the Sacto option will likely expire since they're going to be in the lottery) the right to swap picks....

And other teams have done the same thing...

Rondo may be a better player than those listed above, but building around Rondo is a bit silly because:
1) Rondo has never improved that shot
2) Rondo is not necessarily a bit player
3) Paying Rondo $12M and extending him after next year limits your flexibility as you move.
4) Rondo is 28 now, if the cards are right, the C's may be ok to decent by the time he's 30-31, and may be contenders then too, but more likely ok to decent given their youth movement and picks....at that point he'll be on a newer contract and it'll be likely more expensive and after a couple of years of not having hte benefit of a scorer like Pierce (and Allen) and an all around player with a real penchant for cleaning up the risk taking D Rondo takes in Garnett, Rondo's value will drop.

This is the perfect time to trade him.....and it seems silly not to.

Rondo's a solid piece to have, but not a franchise building block (thinks Duncan, Nowitzki, Durant, Wade, James, etc)....as he gets older because his skills rely on his speed, quickness and athleticism and less on the fundamentals of shooting; he will likely be less effective sooner.

He'd still have good court vision, but considering he's generally smaller than his counterparts, losing a step is devastating...

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their draft picks should also be better if they move him now rather than build a team around him that by the time will be ready he should be out of his prime, that 30-31+yo window mentioned.