• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bears 2024 offseason thread

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh and Caleb Williams. Wednesday announcement. I don’t think it will happen but would enjoy the unexpected change.
Expecting Harbaugh to go to the Chargers.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just do
How do we know with Getsy only calling 16 pass attempts in a game. But, the house, at the coaching level, needs to go. Let the new coach evaluate Fields and what his request will be to Poles.

Again, system dependent. Maye maybe better in certain systems. Or so I've heard. New coach, New OC should have a say, >I hope, anyway<

AND, there is no rush to do anything with Justin. He can sit a bench and back up next year.
Because I have functioning eyes. Fields is not good. He's just not. He's been plagued by the same problems his whole career. Lazy dropbacks and footwork, can't read defenses pre or post snap, is terrible against the blitz, has the wind up of a white, 1920's baseball picture, holds onto the ball for-fucking-ever, is habitually late and absolutely chokes when it matters most. Kid has a lot of talent, and seems like a nice young man,, but goddamn, you can only blame Getsy or the o-line for so long. (Which ftr, they were both putrid yesterday)

I just don't see any way that they can pass off the number one pick two years in a row. I just don't see enough development...enough progress. If they keep him, it will be the same ol' Bears...good-to-great defense, mediocre offense and hope that's enough or that the ghost of Devin Hester ends up on the roster magically.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just do

Because I have functioning eyes. Fields is not good. He's just not. He's been plagued by the same problems his whole career. Lazy dropbacks and footwork, can't read defenses pre or post snap, is terrible against the blitz, has the wind up of a white, 1920's baseball picture, holds onto the ball for-fucking-ever, is habitually late and absolutely chokes when it matters most. Kid has a lot of talent, and seems like a nice young man,, but goddamn, you can only blame Getsy or the o-line for so long. (Which ftr, they were both putrid yesterday)

I just don't see any way that they can pass off the number one pick two years in a row. I just don't see enough development...enough progress. If they keep him, it will be the same ol' Bears...good-to-great defense, mediocre offense and hope that's enough or that the ghost of Devin Hester ends up on the roster magically.

That's the real problem.

The step back truth is that we improved reasonably this season vs. last so in normal circumstances the coaching/staff/qb would be run back and then if they don't step up, we move on.

The problem is that we have a golden opportunity with the #1 pick. Even if we bring everyone back, it's extremely unlikely we get the #1 pick again (or even a top 5 pick). You can't just overlook that.

Two realistic options imo: Clean sweep of HC/OC/QB and go QB with #1....or run them all back and hope we get the super haul again for the 1 pick.

If they do it half-assed again, where we pick QB #1 and stay with HC/OC...It's gonna be the same sh*t again like with Fox/Nagy/Eberflus. STOP THE CAROUSEL OF IDIOCY.

Expecting Harbaugh to go to the Chargers.

If we kept Eberflus and that happens, that would suck. I swear if he actually leaves Michigan and doesn't end up with the Bears we are dumb as sh*t. I can at least understand if he stayed with Michigan. But if he leaves for the NFL, we should be the frontrunners. Our ownership loves him and he's an ex-Bear...and has stated Chicago is his dream NFL job. The f*ck would we be doing? Eberflus is just a guy FFS.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just do

All that is fine, but that doesn't explain only 16 pass attempts? Who calls only 16 pass attempts in a game as an OC? Tom Brady in his prime could have been back there and done no better than 11/16 if all that was called by the OC. 16 pass attempts should be a quarter stat, not a game stat.

At one point early in the game Fields was 5/5... Wonder what his stats would be if he was given 32 pass attempts or 50 pass attempts. He completed right at 70% of his pass attempts... all 16. weee.

Look, I get it with Fields, he has is bugaboo's... Yes he looks iffy throwing into the middle, doesn't appear to like it at all, rarely does it. Is slow to set up, all lazy like, which gives him less time to read a D. Far as blitzing goes, he is slow to react, but to me, that's more on the O line. They have to cover that, his RB has to cover that, and as a last resort, he has the feet to cover that. I've heard it's on a QB at times to call out blitz coverage, but O line has to play its part.

But no slants, Getsy's aversion to WR slants is amazing. Packers had slants all day long yesterday. Under coverage dump offs... Where were the Bears under coverage dump offs? Every time I look at tape on Fields running for his life, Wr have their backs turned to him running routes down field.

Problems abound on O. It will not hurt my feelings if they keep Fields and yet still pick a QB at the top of the draft. The Bears do have that option.
If they trade Fields away, I'm fine with that as well, just get rid of Getsy. But with Flus on the hot seat, what decent O coordinator wants in for a 1 year rental if things do not pan out and Flus is fired next year (if not this year). ????

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that is fine, but that doesn't explain only 16 pass attempts? Who calls only 16 pass attempts in a game as an OC? Tom Brady in his prime could have been back there and done no better than 11/16 if all that was called by the OC. 16 pass attempts should be a quarter stat, not a game stat.

At one point early in the game Fields was 5/5... Wonder what his stats would be if he was given 32 pass attempts or 50 pass attempts. He completed right at 70% of his pass attempts... all 16. weee.

Look, I get it with Fields, he has is bugaboo's... Yes he looks iffy throwing into the middle, doesn't appear to like it at all, rarely does it. Is slow to set up, all lazy like, which gives him less time to read a D. Far as blitzing goes, he is slow to react, but to me, that's more on the O line. They have to cover that, his RB has to cover that, and as a last resort, he has the feet to cover that. I've heard it's on a QB at times to call out blitz coverage, but O line has to play its part.

But no slants, Getsy's aversion to WR slants is amazing. Packers had slants all day long yesterday. Under coverage dump offs... Where were the Bears under coverage dump offs? Every time I look at tape on Fields running for his life, Wr have their backs turned to him running routes down field.

Problems abound on O. It will not hurt my feelings if they keep Fields and yet still pick a QB at the top of the draft. The Bears do have that option.
If they trade Fields away, I'm fine with that as well, just get rid of Getsy. But with Flus on the hot seat, what decent O coordinator wants in for a 1 year rental if things do not pan out and Flus is fired next year (if not this year). ????
Oh, there is no doubt that Getsy sucks. He is terrible. But at some point a good QB has to be able to overcome that. Take matters into his own hands. The o-line was manhandled yesterday. I don't know wtf was wrong with Tevin Jenkins, but he looked asleep out there. But regardless of all that, we still see the same shit on tape week after week. Plays well against shitty teams...looks mediocre at best, against good teams. Flashes of great shit, but too many instances where he almost looks bored or uninterested. Fast starts and second half duds. Even yesterday when the o-line looked shady, he still failed to "feel" the pressure and took at least 3 sacks he could've avoided if he wasn't late af. There is no better way to slow down a pass rush, than a good running QB taking the fuck off. Barely saw any of that.

I like the kid, wish him the best, but I don't think the Bears can afford to pass up on the Number 1 pick again. I may be wrong, but I know this, for me personally, I can't stand to watch another minute of this combo (Fields, Getsy & Flus) Shit is infuriating to watch. Never before in a season have I felt like I was watching the same fucking game every single week. My God, it was like a bad fever dream ffs. I'm done.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the real problem.

The step back truth is that we improved reasonably this season vs. last so in normal circumstances the coaching/staff/qb would be run back and then if they don't step up, we move on.

The problem is that we have a golden opportunity with the #1 pick. Even if we bring everyone back, it's extremely unlikely we get the #1 pick again (or even a top 5 pick). You can't just overlook that.

Two realistic options imo: Clean sweep of HC/OC/QB and go QB with #1....or run them all back and hope we get the super haul again for the 1 pick.

If they do it half-assed again, where we pick QB #1 and stay with HC/OC...It's gonna be the same sh*t again like with Fox/Nagy/Eberflus. STOP THE CAROUSEL OF IDIOCY.

If we kept Eberflus and that happens, that would suck. I swear if he actually leaves Michigan and doesn't end up with the Bears we are dumb as sh*t. I can at least understand if he stayed with Michigan. But if he leaves for the NFL, we should be the frontrunners. Our ownership loves him and he's an ex-Bear...and has stated Chicago is his dream NFL job. The f*ck would we be doing? Eberflus is just a guy FFS.
Lot of quality coaches could be available, led by Bill B from the Pats.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you imagine if Harbaugh comes to the NFL and we aren't the team he coaches by our own choice? Could that possibly be the dumbest possible move ever?

I cannot fathom the level of stupidity if Ryan Poles or Kevin Warren or George McCaskey or Ol' Virginia herself are sitting there telling themselves "Matt Eberflus is a better option than Jim Harbaugh anyway."

FFS...I mean even worse what if he ends up with the Raiders or Chargers? Those two teams can't even figure out what city they're playing in. We're a f*cking charter franchise where Harbaugh has the second most starts of any QB ever. The goddamn NFC Championship is named after our past away owner.

You want to talk about owners being cheap and not caring about winning? THIS would be the chef's kiss for anyone that subscribes to that perception of our ownership. The pinnacle of evidence.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you imagine if Harbaugh comes to the NFL and we aren't the team he coaches by our own choice? Could that possibly be the dumbest possible move ever?

I cannot fathom the level of stupidity if Ryan Poles or Kevin Warren or George McCaskey or Ol' Virginia herself are sitting there telling themselves "Matt Eberflus is a better option than Jim Harbaugh anyway."

FFS...I mean even worse what if he ends up with the Raiders or Chargers? Those two teams can't even figure out what city they're playing in. We're a f*cking charter franchise where Harbaugh has the second most starts of any QB ever. The goddamn NFC Championship is named after our past away owner.

You want to talk about owners being cheap and not caring about winning? THIS would be the chef's kiss for anyone that subscribes to that perception of our ownership. The pinnacle of evidence.

Nice take........I totally agree.
If Harbaugh truly wants out of Michigan,he should give the McCaskeys a call,his self,not his agent,his self.

But what Im sitting here stewingg about,where is the woord from Poles or Warren on the outcome from our own coaching problems......??

I would of bet a dollar to a donut that Getsy would have been gone yesterday....but no word is making me think the whole staff stays.....which also means JF is staying.( but thats for a different thread)

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice take........I totally agree.
If Harbaugh truly wants out of Michigan,he should give the McCaskeys a call,his self,not his agent,his self.

But what Im sitting here stewingg about,where is the woord from Poles or Warren on the outcome from our own coaching problems......??

I would of bet a dollar to a donut that Getsy would have been gone yesterday....but no word is making me think the whole staff stays.....which also means JF is staying.( but thats for a different thread)

The local radio is suggesting that the owners etc are pissed about the Packers game and that changes will be made...but the word is that we're going to dump Fields and Getsy and keep Eberflus.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The local radio is suggesting that the owners etc are pissed about the Packers game and that changes will be made...but the word is that we're going to dump Fields and Getsy and keep Eberflus.

I could see Fluss before the other two......but still think we need an offensive minded coach......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on everything I'm reading/seeing not just in here, but other websites and YouTube, I'd say it's largely, if reluctantly, leaning toward using the #1 pick on a QB. And if this is true, then about 95% of those want it to be Williams. I've said it numerous times, I'll never argue the kid's natural talents, but that head of his worries the shit out of me. If Poles goes this route and chooses him, of course I'll throw my 100% support at him. I do this for any and every player who ends up wearing my team's colors. Shit, if I could pull for Rodman back in the 90's when he joined the Bulls, I could pull for Satan himself, just so long as he's wearing the navy, orange, and white.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna try to read between the lines here:

Specifically:
Poles said that certain mental traits stand out to him when evaluating candidates to be the team’s quarterback.

“You’ve got to have toughness. You’ve got to have mental toughness,” he said. “You’ve got to be able to block things out.”

Now it could easily be argued that I'm reading way too much into this quote, but honestly it makes me question if he's subtly refering to Williams. As far as I'm concerned, the USC QB has shown a whole bunch of talent and physical toughness, but mental toughness? Can't help but vividly recall him crying in his mother's arms - actually, it was more like bawling like a newborn - after that loss against Washington. Plus, you don't have to take my admittedly biased opinion on this matter. Just Google 'questions about Caleb Williams mental toughness' - you'll find a number of articles and opinions asking the same questions.

BTW, this is not to suggest that Poles will keep Fields. In fact, I'm definitely leaning toward the going thought that he's gonna be traded. But will it be Williams that Poles takes if Fields does get jettisoned? Like I said when I started this thread, it's going to be fascinating what transpires down the road.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna try to read between the lines here:

Specifically:
Poles said that certain mental traits stand out to him when evaluating candidates to be the team’s quarterback.

“You’ve got to have toughness. You’ve got to have mental toughness,” he said. “You’ve got to be able to block things out.”

Now it could easily be argued that I'm reading way too much into this quote, but honestly it makes me question if he's subtly refering to Williams. As far as I'm concerned, the USC QB has shown a whole bunch of talent and physical toughness, but mental toughness? Can't help but vividly recall him crying in his mother's arms - actually, it was more like bawling like a newborn - after that loss against Washington. Plus, you don't have to take my admittedly biased opinion on this matter. Just Google 'questions about Caleb Williams mental toughness' - you'll find a number of articles and opinions asking the same questions.

BTW, this is not to suggest that Poles will keep Fields. In fact, I'm definitely leaning toward the going thought that he's gonna be traded. But will it be Williams that Poles takes if Fields does get jettisoned? Like I said when I started this thread, it's going to be fascinating what transpires down the road.

Nice quote......altho it probably is to all draftees,he maybe giving CW a little extra look as he walks away.....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice quote......altho it probably is to all draftees,he maybe giving CW a little extra look as he walks away.....
Very well could apply to all. I admitted that it was a biased take on my part. I'm not pretending to hide my dislike for us possibly taking Williams. Still at the same time, this can't be completely dismissed.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very good defensive coordinator just became available. I don’t know if you guys have heard of him, he’s a little known secret in the nfl. His name is bill belichek and I think he could turn our defense around. If we can’t get him, this off-season was a failure.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very good defensive coordinator just became available. I don’t know if you guys have heard of him, he’s a little known secret in the nfl. His name is bill belichek and I think he could turn our defense around. If we can’t get him, this off-season was a failure.
Somewhere in the above I sense a Dwight Schrute punchline.