• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The B1G Thread

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well. Rutgers could increase NYC exposure technically, even if no one watches. But getting Jersey ain't bad. Lots of people in Jersey too. One thing about that is... Getting the East Coast alum some games nearby. Rutgers will probably have to build more seats just to accomodate them.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea. Captain Kirk seems to be really missing Spock. I've never been fond of the coaching merry-go-round. But Iowa needs a new one real real bad. He lost the players. Ten years ago, they would never have pulled the shit these guys have been. They loved their program and followed Kirk to victory.

Things went to hell when Norm's health starting going downhill.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I think with what Wisconsin has done at coach now, coupled with BOB at PSU, Hoke at Michigan, Meyer at OSU and Fitzgerald at NW, the conference is definitely on the upswing from the drop of the last 5-6 seasons. While I hate Purdue, I'm rooting for coach Hazell to come in and turn them around, as well. He's a great guy that I can't root against. To be honest, I think Iowa and Minnesota are gonna be battling for the cellar, even when Maryland and Rutgers get here. Iowa has got to start looking at the post-Ferentz era, and Minnesota should not be settling for these shitty seasons with everything they have going for them.

I love the coaching upgrades the B1G has made the last few years. One guy I thought for sure was going to be one of the next big-time new B1G coaches was Butch Jones. The Michigan native did a helluva job following Brian Kelly at both Central Michigan and Cincinnati, and I saw him as being groomed to become a B1G coach.

But the timing of the hiring & firings around the country led Butch to take an SEC job, and it's amazing how well he is already doing in recruiting for the Volunteers with only a few months as the Tennessee coach. I'm convinced he is going to have Tennessee back as a serious contender for the SEC East within a couple years. With the money the SEC throws to their coaches, I don't see Butch coming back to B1G country.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well. Rutgers could increase NYC exposure technically, even if no one watches. But getting Jersey ain't bad. Lots of people in Jersey too. One thing about that is... Getting the East Coast alum some games nearby. Rutgers will probably have to build more seats just to accomodate them.

When Rutgers and Maryland get home games against OSU, UofM, Whisky, and Nebraska I am sure it will draw since these teams don't travel to the East Coast very often.

People are down on bringing in Maryland but I see them as having the same upside as Oregon did a few years ago. Under Armor has the potential to impact recruits like Nike did. As long as tey get rid of those crash test dummy uniforms.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHOA!!!!!!! They spaced those seats out a lot more than the rest of the stadium....

I know where I'm looking for tickets

I know man. I want to sit up there for at least one game this season and see how it is.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 years to complete?????

By the time it's done they'll be way behind again.

For the Minnesota athletic facility upgrades, the 6 to 8 year projection is for everything to be completed (all sports). The project is going to completed in gradual phases, and I have a suspicion the football facilities will probably be taken care of first if you look at how much Gopher football coach Jerry Kill is pushing for these upgrades. Check out what Jerry Kill says regarding the urgency of completing these facilities:

Kill pushing for better Gophers' facilities soon | StarTribune.com

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Rutgers and Maryland get home games against OSU, UofM, Whisky, and Nebraska I am sure it will draw since these teams don't travel to the East Coast very often.

People are down on bringing in Maryland but I see them as having the same upside as Oregon did a few years ago. Under Armor has the potential to impact recruits like Nike did. As long as tey get rid of those crash test dummy uniforms.

One thing that will be hard for Maryland to overcome is the fact that their stadium is a dump and their campus is surrounded by the ghetto. Maryland attendance has been dismal and they are suffering financially, so I am sure they are hoping the BigTen's alumni bases will flock to Byrd Stadium.

stadium.jpg

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am FAR from happy with the 2 additions. Money is the only motive and I don't think either university is viable long term. We might see the occasional spike in revenue if one of them manages to get into the top 25 and win a couple big games, but the reality is, they are both extremely mediocre programs.

I so badly wanted us to go after Virginia Tech. They're more popular in the D.C./Maryland area than Maryland is, no? That's just an assumption on my part.

In a dream world I would have liked to see us get Virginia Tech and maybe even a South Florida or a Boston College.

Missouri would have been a good fit. Much better than Maryland.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interested to see Maryland and Rutgers come on board. I think getting on the East Coast will really amp up the exposure. Not to the New York Boston level but close....since we know the ESPN universe circles those two cities!

The addition of Maryland and Rutgers are brilliant moves. One cannot just look at a narrow-vision, short-term measurement of a schools current win-loss record in ONE sport, rather, we need to look at the long-term impact of having these LARGE market schools as part of the B1G.

Maryland and Rutgers have very large enrollments, and thus very large alumni bases.

I'll repost the chart from the following NY Times article indicating college football TV market size and popularity.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/?_r=0

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-topTV-blog480.png

Despite the fact the NY college football market percentage is small, it still is #1 in the country due to the enormous amount of people in that market. I would imagine the percentage is only going to increase once the B1G becomes more of a significant presence in that market.

Heck, look at this Yankee Stadium picture supposedly taken just today (copied from the Rutgers boards):
BQIs1ZwCIAI8bsp.jpg

Rutgers is already realizing their best ever football recruiting class, and they recently added a commit from 4 star QB Tyler Wiegers out of Michigan (hell, I'd bet most Michigan/midwest high school football players didn't even know what state Rutgers was located in just one year ago).

If you read the NY Times article in the link above, you'll see another interesting stat...there are more Rutgers football fans in the NY market than Nebraska football fans in the Omaha market.

Remember what Jim Delany said the other day at B1G media days-----by adding Maryland & Rutgers, the B1G just increased its population footprint by 30%.

Then there is the research money brought in by these major AAU schools. The research money dwarfs the money brought in by sports. As Delany said the other day, with the addition of Maryland & Rutgers, the B1G will now annually bring in $900 BILLION in research money!

Also, the kids in the rich recruiting grounds of the east coast are going to strongly consider playing for B1G schools (even more than they are currently) now that the B1G is in their backyards.

Give it time folks.....in the long run, the addition of Maryland & Rutgers will pay-off bigtime.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers is already realizing their best ever football recruiting class, and they recently added a commit from 4 star QB Tyler Wiegers out of Michigan (hell, I'd bet most Michigan/midwest high school football players didn't even know what state Rutgers was located in just one year ago).

He committed back in April, and it looks like there wasn't much competition for Rutgers to get him. Is this class really their best ever?

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He committed back in April, and it looks like there wasn't much competition for Rutgers to get him. Is this class really their best ever?

Best class ever is very subjective...but the Rutgers folks on the boards are saying it quite often...it's actually too early to tell being only halfway thru the recruiting year, but they (Scarlet Knight fans) seem to be pretty excited.

In regards to Tyler Wiegers, when I said recent, yes, I mean within the past few months, April-----aka after Rutgers to B1G announcement was made in November.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be enough to move Minnesota into 6th place in Big Ten football facilities...

1. Ohio
2. Nebraska
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Michigan State

If Minnesota wants to compete on a regular basis, they would have to dump tons of money and go the Oregon/Oklahoma State route..

and pray.

I think it's impossible to rank stuff like this. I think Nebraska has the best weight room in the big ten, but facilities overall for football? That's hard to rank. Most major teams have upgraded their facilities, or are in the process of doing so, in the last 5 years. Once Michigan completes it's renovation of Schembechler hall, we'll have renovated, or completely built, new facilities for every single aspect of football in the last 5 years and spent well over $300 million doing so. Our practice facility is one of the best, if not the best, in the nation. It's better than some NFL teams.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think their 2012 class was much better. They had a five star in that class along with a few 4 star players. The sad thing is that Rutgers seems to recruit pretty well compared to most big ten schools beyond the big names. They seem to get 4 or so four star players per year and a bunch of three stars. They are definitely set up to be Michigan State, if not better with a good coach and not having to compete with Michigan/OSU for recruiting territory. I like the Rutgers add far more than I like the Maryland add. Maryland clearly did it because they had no other option to keep the athletic department lights on.

SportsChic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A apology to Sox33 for past threads. Lets talk football and not resort to Facebook tactics to support our schools from each other.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think their 2012 class was much better. They had a five star in that class along with a few 4 star players. The sad thing is that Rutgers seems to recruit pretty well compared to most big ten schools beyond the big names. They seem to get 4 or so four star players per year and a bunch of three stars. They are definitely set up to be Michigan State, if not better with a good coach and not having to compete with Michigan/OSU for recruiting territory. I like the Rutgers add far more than I like the Maryland add. Maryland clearly did it because they had no other option to keep the athletic department lights on.

2011 and 2012, they did. Damn, they could very possibly win the AAC if things develop. Huggins is gonna be the starter at RB this year, Nova seemed like a halfway decent QB last year, and they had the 4th best scoring defense in the nation. They played Louisville very close last year, too.

A apology to Sox33 for past threads. Lets talk football and not resort to Facebook tactics to support our schools from each other.

:suds:

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011 and 2012, they did. Damn, they could very possibly win the AAC if things develop. Huggins is gonna be the starter at RB this year, Nova seemed like a halfway decent QB last year, and they had the 4th best scoring defense in the nation. They played Louisville very close last year, too.

:suds:

Way to go, Chic and Sox33!

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh. I'm a little surprised to see MSU topping us in that study, but the rest doesn't surprise me. Nice link.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How ironic Nebraska ranks 4th to match their 4 losses per season.
Remember when Ohio State couldn't have Bo?

:pound: