• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

That targeting penalty/ejection was simply bullshit

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The penalty and subsequent ejection of Stephen Tuitt is simply bullshit. WTF is he supposed to do when the opposing running quarterback lowers his shoulders. He was simply protecting himself by lowering his pads and both players simply collided. There was no intent or no option. The worst part was idiotic jag bag official who went along with the objection. Horseshit rule , horseshit interpretation, horseshit officiating , and a total lack of common fucking sense. Tell me one thing, what the hell was Tuitt supposed to do, seriously tell me his option other than falling down or jumping out of the way. This idiotic rule has to be changed.

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The penalty and subsequent ejection of Stephen Tuitt is simply bullshit. WTF is he supposed to do when the opposing running quarterback lowers his shoulders. He was simply protecting himself by lowering his pads and both players simply collided. There was no intent or no option. The worst part was idiotic jag bag official who went along with the objection. Horseshit rule , horseshit interpretation, horseshit officiating , and a total lack of common fucking sense. Tell me one thing, what the hell was Tuitt supposed to do, seriously tell me his option other than falling down or jumping out of the way. This idiotic rule has to be changed.

The fact that the referees are absolutely spineless when it comes to reversing these calls and the subjectivity of them is what bothers me the most. This wont change until a championship is lost due to an awful call.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the guy that flagged us for intentional grounding later was in a contest to see who could have the worst call.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of forgot about that call. I was watching and when they called that I said to myself what in the hell is that flag for . When I heard the penalty all I could think of was are you frickening joking. Not at all blaming the refs for the outcome but they were horrible. No excuse , just the facts. Notre Dame still sucked for too much of that game but the officiating was hard to watch. The targeting rule is just completely screwed up. If they deem it necessary to call a penalty right or wrong so be it, but giving them the say in ejections is silly. It's obvious they are incompetent and supspension and expulsions should be handled by thinking, competent individuals, like someone with an actual brain.

bamaintheblood

bamaintheblood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is a VIOLENT SPORT! The targeting rule is the biggest farce I've ever experienced in sports. The big hit excites the players, coaches, and fans alike. It IS football in its essence...example: it's opening kickoff, he receives the kick, excitement and intensity fills the air, special-teamers race down the field, the crowd noise steadily grows with anticipation of a culminating...TARGETING FOUL???
NO you politically correct p******, the big hit!!
Next pansy rule to come in sports: targeting fouls in BOXING

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is a VIOLENT SPORT! The targeting rule is the biggest farce I've ever experienced in sports. The big hit excites the players, coaches, and fans alike. It IS football in its essence...example: it's opening kickoff, he receives the kick, excitement and intensity fills the air, special-teamers race down the field, the crowd noise steadily grows with anticipation of a culminating...TARGETING FOUL???
NO you politically correct p******, the big hit!!
Next pansy rule to come in sports: targeting fouls in BOXING

Look I got no problem penalizing players who spear people just to have a "big hit". Use your shoulder and wrap your arms like you were taught in pop warner. Not as sexy but guarantees the guy goes down. Too many guys launch themselves head first at guys and the science is irrefutable such hits cause serious brain injury. But it's a far cry to say a guy lowering his shoulder and makes helmet to helmet contact with an offensive player leading with his head. The former should be penalized (no ejection or one quarter ejection at most) the latter is just part of the game

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it cost us the game. Refs sucked the whole game and gave calls to Pitt all game. Season over boys.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look I got no problem penalizing players who spear people just to have a "big hit". Use your shoulder and wrap your arms like you were taught in pop warner. Not as sexy but guarantees the guy goes down. Too many guys launch themselves head first at guys and the science is irrefutable such hits cause serious brain injury. But it's a far cry to say a guy lowering his shoulder and makes helmet to helmet contact with an offensive player leading with his head. The former should be penalized (no ejection or one quarter ejection at most) the latter is just part of the game

agree with you here. it's become all too obvious that the way it used to be played is shortening (or just making miserable) lives. i am all for a targeting rule. carrying macho to the extreme is just stupid.

that said ... the call last night was a very poor one.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get targeting in general. Aren't you suppose to target the person with the ball? Where I come from that is called tackling.

matthstl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule should be clear when a player sits there waits for another player and spears with his helmet. Any time you write a rule like this that is so wide open you can look at in any way to justify your call. What is needed and will never happen is a honest look and the intent of the rule. The intent is to insure that a player is not going after someone to hurt them. In the case it was clear in every film that Tuit lowered his shoulder which be honest was his only option.

If Tuit spear at his legs only other option this kid would be in the hospital and no flags thrown. I do not care what anyone says or how negative you are about ND right now that was clear game changer. The D had so many hurt players losing the best player hurt them. Pitt could not run the ball with Tuit there. Pitt was out of sync and really had nothing to show up until that call. There is leterally no doupt in my mind ND wins by 14 or more and Pitt would score maybe 1 TD.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the Refs on the field making that call when the game is going full speed. That is why they review it...BUT for those fucking idiots who did not over turn it in the replay booth, need to be fired and then investigated. They have the replay in slow mo and from 12 diff angles, and they still called it targeting. Tuitt was already the lower player who was actually going to hit the QB in the ribs and shoulders. Pitt QB lowered himself to Tuitts level....I am just shocked those assholes let it stand....THEN they give them the 1st down at the end of the game, where they runner clearly did not cross the 1st down marker....

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what pisses me off too is the QB lead with his helmet. How the hell is Tuitt or anyone else for that matter supposed to tackle the QB without lowering his shoulders? It is not like Tuitt left the ground and shot himself toward Savage. Also, the phantom pass interference call on Jackson baffles me as well. If he turned his head and put his hands on the receiver it would have been a no call. If he doesn't turn his head (which he didn't) and doesn't touch him than that is pass interference? ANGER!!

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EVERYONE could see it was not targeting, except those in the replay booth with TV screens....Like I said, they should be investigated for the fix on ND, if they are cleared, then they should be fired.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric I just don't care anymore because that shouldn't have and didn't cost the game, Tommy and the play calling that put the ball in his hands did. The ref's should be suspended for the rest of the season though, they made a bunch of terrible calls.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of the worst calls I have seen in a long time. This new rule needs go. Kicking a player out of a game should be called only on Cheap shots and intent to hurt someone. Not on a normal tackle and not when a QB is running and the QB leads with his helmet.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric I just don't care anymore because that shouldn't have and didn't cost the game, Tommy and the play calling that put the ball in his hands did. The ref's should be suspended for the rest of the season though, they made a bunch of terrible calls.

I agree Tuitt being tossed did not lose us that game. I am just pissed cause it was that BAD of a call, both on the field and in the booth. I am shocked they said it was targeting.

matthstl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense that had already had multiple injuries and Nix who was limping all game. Taking Tuit out change everything. Pitt could not run the ball and early on there was pressure up the middle. Out comes Tuitt and Pitt scores. The PI call on 4th down for Pitt another horrible game changing call. That plus Pitt player throwing down ND player after first play near the goal line just before Tommy threw his first pick and nothing was called? The intentional grounding call are you not allowed to throw the ball way if it goes beyond ten yards?

Its a 7 point game and you are telling me our best D player comes out when Pitt was doing nothing up until than had nothing to do with the outcome? This plus our d was already had injury issues? Nix was no way going to get the minutes he did if Tuit is in the game. Did anyone see how Nix was limping most of the game he had to play no other option and now he was douple teamed with Tuit out. To me Tuit in Pitt is lucky to score 1 TD. They simply could not run the ball when Tuit was in plain and simple.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can argue it did cost us the game. Reason we already down players and now we just lost one of our better players early in the game. Defense wasn't the same with him out. Now with that said did it 100% cost us the game no but it was a factor.