• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Targeting: A Closer Look

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule isn't perfect but it isn't going away either. They are coaching and teaching better techniques.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is bringing the right shoulder in that clip, unlike the A&M clip, because he clearly did not spear him. It is simple. If he hit him in the chest/shoulder it is legal. The difference between chest, shoulder, or head is mere inches at speeds of 25+ MPH. That is the problem with the rule. An illegal hit should be an illegal hit, whether it is in the head, chest, or back. Officiate the actions that leads to the contact that you are trying to outlaw, not the result of the contact.

by the way, I have never said that it was not targeting. I said the A&M was more egregious, because it was more avoidable. Pinpointing where you hit a ball carrier that is falling/ducking their head is much harder thing to do.
You keep saying "he brought the shoulder," when he didn't. It was a helmet to helmet hit. The first contact was the Texas players helmet hitting the Notre Dame players helmet. Again Helmet to Helmet. A fourth time so it gets through, helmet to helmet. After the helmet to helmet hit the Texas players shoulder hit the Texas players helmet. You are basically saying it's ok to go head hunting while a guy trying to pull up and not crush a guy is much more egregious. No a guy going after another players helmet is much worse than someone trying to avoid the hit. Only a Texas fan would say that a tap of the face mask is much worse than launching your helmet into someone else's helmet.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep saying "he brought the shoulder," when he didn't. It was a helmet to helmet hit. The first contact was the Texas players helmet hitting the Notre Dame players helmet. Again Helmet to Helmet. A third time so it gets through, helmet to helmet. After the helmet to helmet hit the Texas players shoulder hit the Texas players helmet. You are basically saying it's ok to go head hunting while a guy trying to pull up and not crush a guy is much more egregious. No a guy going after another players helmet is much worse than someone trying to avoid the hit. Only a Texas fan would say that a tap of the face mask is much worse than launching your helmet into someone else's helmet.

The right shoulder came, he brought the fore arm. I guess we can disagree on that.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to get technical. The ND WR had the ball in his possession with one foot down in the end zone. Touch Down!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule isn't perfect but it isn't going away either. They are coaching and teaching better techniques.

That is what the rules should encourage. Why I think targeting should be done away with and football shoudl copy rugby and institute a wrap rule. You will still get helmet to helmet contact, because that is unavoidable, but the game will be safer.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The right shoulder came, he brought the fore arm. I guess we can disagree on that.
Yes the right shoulder came, after the helmet to helmet hit.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how anyone can defend that hit as not targeting with all the bs that was called targeting last weekend is beyond me......

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how anyone can defend that hit as not targeting with all the bs that was called targeting last weekend is beyond me......
Burnt orange glasses.