• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tFinal BCS National Championship Game: Florida State vs. Auburn

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very valid points. Marshall has been getting better, no doubt. I also have to point out that, in the ACC CCG, Winston looked awful in the first half until he finally got in a groove. I think that was largely due to the fact that he was able to since they were playing Duke. One of their plays in particular, I remember him literally standing still in the pocket for what seemed like 10 seconds and he still didn't complete his pass. He was overthrowing guys horribly. If he does that vs. a real team like Auburn, they could dig a pretty big hole.

Every game he has tried to be greedy from the get go Winston has looked that way. Miami, UF, Duke started the same way. When he starts with 7-10 yard passes he has been great. I.E. Pitt, Clemson, Maryland, BC.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every game he has tried to be greedy from the get go Winston has looked that way. Miami, UF, Duke started the same way. When he starts with 7-10 yard passes he has been great. I.E. Pitt, Clemson, Maryland, BC.

Looks like he gets greedy against the better teams but (outside of Clemson) starts with the short passes against the shitty teams. Granted, Auburn's defense is by no means a world-beater, but it's still better than the likes of Pitt, Maryland, BC or Duke.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little known fact. FSU has given up 5 rushing TDs all season. None of those TDs were given up by the 1st string. They may give up yards between the 20s like BC and Miami, but they build a wall inside the red zone.

That is pretty impressive, but you also have to point out the fact that you haven't faced a rushing attack remotely close to Auburn's.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is pretty impressive, but you also have to point out the fact that you haven't faced a rushing attack remotely close to Auburn's.

They have faced BC who is 20th in Rush Offense with 218.1 per game. It's not exactly the same, but they are up their.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have faced BC who is 20th in Rush Offense with 218.1 per game. It's not exactly the same, but they are up their.

That's nearly 120 yards per game less, or 1200 yards for the season less. Plus BC doesn't have a QB that can run like Marshall.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No problem admitting that. Auburn also has not faced the overall team speed of FSU. Obama is quick at the LB spot, but not near as everywhere else. FSU will not play a 3-4 this game. You have to play a 4-3 against Auburn. We can leave our CBs on island and bring up 1 safety in run support. That will help a lot.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem admitting that. Auburn also has not faced the overall team speed of FSU. Obama is quick at the LB spot, but not near as everywhere else. FSU will not play a 3-4 this game. You have to play a 4-3 against Auburn. We can leave our CBs on island and bring up 1 safety in run support. That will help a lot.

:suspicious:

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auto spell on phone. BAMA.

Haha, nice. I hate posting on here on iphone/ipad.

So going from a 3-4 to a 4-3, which players would you be swapping?

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, nice. I hate posting on here on iphone/ipad.

So going from a 3-4 to a 4-3, which players would you be swapping?

We already run a 4-3 nickel full time. Will probably have to sit Darby or Williams and move Joyner from nickel to boundary cb. Then move Jones from DE back to LB and bring in another big body on the DL.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saku or Wild Turkey, either one of you up for an av bet?

Also, just just want to post the rankings of offense and defense so we can compare them
Offense:
Category FSU Auburn
Points/game 53.0 (2nd) 40.2 (12th)
Total yds/game 529.4 (6th) 505.3 (11th)
Pass yds/game 322.0 (14th) 169.6 (107th)
Rush yds/game 207.4 (28th) 335.7 (1st)
TDs 90 (1st) 69 (8th)

Defense:
Category FSU Auburn
Points/game allowed 10.7 (1st) 24.0 (38th)
Total yds/game allowed 268.5 (3rd) 423.5 (88th)
Pass yds/game allowed 152.0 (1st) 260.2 (104th)
Rush yds/game allowed 116.5 (16th) 163.2 (64th)
TDs allowed 17 (1st) 37 (46th)

So we have the 14th Pass offense vs the 104th Pass defense and the 16th rush defense vs the 1st rush offense. Will be interesting. The only rushing team that FSU has really played was BC and we saw how that turned out (however, FSU was not using their usually line up and had a few starters out on defense and were trying different schemes).

You need factor in SOS and SEC vs. ACC comparisons. If you don't, you will be in the same spot Oregon fans put themselves in. Auburn's defense in 2010 was very low as well. 105th pass defense before going in to that game.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remains to be seen: You think of Nick Saban and giving him a month to prepare for a title game, and most have seen he finds ways to deeply prepare for and beat opposing teams.

Nobody yet knows how Gus will do in such a situation, because nobody has seen him in it.
Auburn over Oregon in the NC showed us something about Gus, right?

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need factor in SOS and SEC vs. ACC comparisons. If you don't, you will be in the same spot Oregon fans put themselves in. Auburn's defense in 2010 was very low as well. 105th pass defense before going in to that game.

I agree. I wasn't using this to say that FSU will dominate. However, for a conference that is known for "defense", neither divisional champ really showed much on Saturday. I won't deny that Auburn has had a much harder schedule that FSU. But Auburn hasn't really played a team that is as well balanced as FSU. Great defense and great offense. Don't get me wrong. Alabama has a good offense and a great defense and Missouri has a good/great offense and a good defense, but they don't have both.

That said, the same thing could be said about FSU.

Honestly, out of all the teams that we could've played in the national championship, Auburn was the one that I thought would make the best game (and by best I mean they are the ones that I don't think FSU could have easily one). This game will be a toss up.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saku or Wild Turkey, either one of you up for an av bet?

Also, just just want to post the rankings of offense and defense so we can compare them
Offense:
Category FSU Auburn
Points/game 53.0 (2nd) 40.2 (12th)
Total yds/game 529.4 (6th) 505.3 (11th)
Pass yds/game 322.0 (14th) 169.6 (107th)
Rush yds/game 207.4 (28th) 335.7 (1st)
TDs 90 (1st) 69 (8th)

Defense:
Category FSU Auburn
Points/game allowed 10.7 (1st) 24.0 (38th)
Total yds/game allowed 268.5 (3rd) 423.5 (88th)
Pass yds/game allowed 152.0 (1st) 260.2 (104th)
Rush yds/game allowed 116.5 (16th) 163.2 (64th)
TDs allowed 17 (1st) 37 (46th)

So we have the 14th Pass offense vs the 104th Pass defense and the 16th rush defense vs the 1st rush offense. Will be interesting. The only rushing team that FSU has really played was BC and we saw how that turned out (however, FSU was not using their usually line up and had a few starters out on defense and were trying different schemes).
I'm kinda superstitious about betting on my own team because it sends out bad mojo in my opinion. However to be a good sport I will be happy to wear an FSU avi for a week after the game no matter what happens.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama, Georgia and Mizzou all three were pretty damn fast defenses not to mention what they practice against on a daily basis. I especially don't see you having athlete's greater than Alabama.

You can drive yourself crazy trying to find an edge but we won't know what really matters until the whistle blows.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn over Oregon in the NC showed us something about Gus, right?

Showed me he could adjust a game plan on the fly there is no way he thought he would be going into that game with an injured Cam Newton but if you watched the game it was very apparent he was in pain most of the time with a back sprain.

I'm good with Gus the substituting of Davis in the Alabama game during the timeout was brilliant. Right now Auburn has more brian power in its coaching staff then we have ever had.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
strangers in a strange land...

wifey has three best friends here in Atlanta...One is a diehard Seminole married to a Rebel...One is a diehard Tiger married to a Yellowjacket...the third is a Tarheel whose daughter is a Tiger and son is a Seminole. The two diehards will be in Pasadena...we'll be hanging with the Tarheel and her Gamecock husband for the game.

am hoping for a good game (not expecting any more 'statistically, highly-improbable' plays, but hey) and am leaning Auburn...if only because my Cowboy brother's Tiger wife's Tiger sister's Tiger daughter living in Opelika is expected to deliver a War Eaglet on Monday, 06 January. how funky is that?

:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is the whole secc playing?

Anyway, I have a lil formula I use making bet. If I stuck to only games that went ding ding ding with that formula when I found them Id do real good. Wouldnt expect it to trigger in an nc game, bit if I go just on that Ill be betting heavy on fsu. But, Im having a hard time getting past auburns army of guardian angels.

Also, you cant bring oregon into this. They ate a great team with some significant coaching issues, and you can bookmarket that.

Last edited by a moderator:

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill wear an FSU avatar for a week if FSU wins.

no shame in losing to them if that's what it comes to. it has still been a great season for Auburn. Beat Georgia. Beat Alabama. Won the SEC.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a stupid playoff, the 4th best team can win a national title. And teams 5-16 will all claim they should get a shot too. I doubt this playoff will stay at four teams.

So go undefeated in your league, win your conference title game, and then win two more? So will there be a week between the semi final games? Guess we'll be halfway through January before having a champion.

If they win then they were obviously better than 4th best...after all the seedings don't necessarily reflect reality as March Madness shows. Now if it was like pro sports with the wild card I might be inclined to be more against a playoff.