• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Terrell Davis should not be a HOF

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yoga. I'm not kidding. brady says the key is flexibility. most guys don't focus on that,, they focus on mass and muscle.
brady does yoga. a lot.

Yeah I had heard he stays in great shape. The important question is...does Brady wears Uggs to yoga class?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

poor buckeyes

I'm not a college football guy being from the northeast. All I have is memories of flutie, foley vs notre dame, and the hasselbecks.

unreal what brady is still doing when most guys his (my) age get hurt sneezing.
But Army/Navy potentially at Fenway? That would be awesome.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I had heard he stays in great shape. The important question is...does Brady wears Uggs to yoga class?
I'm sure, along with one of his wifes thongs (for comfort of course).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure, along with one of his wifes thongs (for comfort of course).

Did you hear that all underclassmen want to return to their schools because nobody wants to play for the Browns?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you hear that all underclassmen want to return to their schools because nobody wants to play for the Browns?
lol

jerry jones says weeden throws a hell of a deep ball. bring him back?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id love that. that's the game for me, aside from the one I played in (Amherst and Williams).
I went for my brother's senior year at Annapolis. Tremendous event. I'd be there if it happened.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went for my brother's senior year at Annapolis. Tremendous event. I'd be there if it happened.
always catch that army/navy game. That's what footballs all about.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well TD did have one of the top-5 best seasons ever by a RB in 1998 so I don't think it was just in Denver that he was considered the best.
One season as the undisputed best. One or even 2 great seasons should not get a player into the HOF.

When TD was playing he was considered the best at his position over the likes of other Hall of Famers such as Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, among others.
When he was playing? You make it sound like had a real career instead of a HOF candidacy that is based on just 4 seasons (95-98).

Besides, "he was considered the best at his position", but only for 1 year, maybe 2. That's all.
In 1995, Emmitt Smith was the best RB in the NFL. While Sanders has a good argument—only 273 yds less while having 63 fewer carries—it falls short in the face of 25 TDs.

In 1996, the best RB was Sanders, but I'll grant that it's debatable between Sanders, Davis and Watters, as Sanders had 15 more rushing yds than Davis but he did so with 38 fewer carries (5.1ypc v. 4.5ypc), though I've seen a few Iggle fans argue that Watters was the best in 96 since he was not only a 1,400yd rusher, he also had 444yds receiving, leading the top 3 RBs in total yards.

In 1997, the best RB in the NFL was, again, Barry Sanders. Led the NFL in rushing with 2,053yds at an incredible 6.1ypc clip! He had 300 more rushing yards than Davis and did it with 34 fewer carries. He also led the league in total yards.

In 1998, yes, finally, Davis was the best RB in the league.

So, at best, he was the best RB in the NFL for only 2 years…out of his, essentially, 4-year career. The very first year he had to play without Elway (for 3.5 games), he wasn't even the best RB on his own team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One season as the undisputed best. One or even 2 great seasons should not get a player into the HOF.

When he was playing? You make it sound like had a real career instead of a HOF candidacy that is based on just 4 seasons (95-98).

Besides, "he was considered the best at his position", but only for 1 year, maybe 2. That's all.
In 1995, Emmitt Smith was the best RB in the NFL. While Sanders has a good argument—only 273 yds less while having 63 fewer carries—it falls short in the face of 25 TDs.

In 1996, the best RB was Sanders, but I'll grant that it's debatable between Sanders, Davis and Watters, as Sanders had 15 more rushing yds than Davis but he did so with 38 fewer carries (5.1ypc v. 4.5ypc), though I've seen a few Iggle fans argue that Watters was the best in 96 since he was not only a 1,400yd rusher, he also had 444yds receiving, leading the top 3 RBs in total yards.

In 1997, the best RB in the NFL was, again, Barry Sanders. Led the NFL in rushing with 2,053yds at an incredible 6.1ypc clip! He had 300 more rushing yards than Davis and did it with 34 fewer carries. He also led the league in total yards.

So, at best, he was the best RB in the NFL for only 2 years…out of his, essentially, 4-year career. The very first year he had to play without Elway (for 3.5 games), he wasn't even the best RB on his own team.

Ok but there are plenty of guys in the HOF that don't even have 1 season they can say they were the best in the NFL. Can you think of 1 season where Bettis was even in the discussion?

And something so many people discussing this whole thing keep leaving out is the playoff success. I mean it isn't even an argument of who was the best playoff RB of all time...TD blows the competition away. We latch on to how did players do when the lights were brightest well that was when TD shined the most. That has to count for something.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to your last part, this comparison makes no sense. Not blowing a 3-run lead, isn't valuable. The game isn't "saved" in the 9th inning just because that's the last inning. Relievers who come in, with runners on base, in the 7th and 8th inning are just as valuable as the guy who comes in with the bases empty in the 9th. If you watched baseball, and can appreciate guys like Betances, Davis, Miller, Herrera, Watson, Reed, and O'Day. Guys who don't rack up saves but can be just as valuable, and often more so, than guys like Jansen, Rodriguez, Robertson, etc.

Like I said, the "save" is the most overrated statistic in baseball, and the closer position is the most overrated in sports.
Never really thought about this but this is excellent. In the playoffs against the best teams, ive seen it many times, it matters though.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Imagine a team with Sanders that had to defend Elway? That fucker would get 8-10 yards easy. SOB!

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was really my point about personal perspectives and biases by the voters. Guys like Owens and Schilling are disliked and for good reason but it shouldn't have a bearing on how good they were on the field. Unfortunately, it does though. And conversely, guys that are really liked by the media sometimes get in when they are borderline. It just is what it is and it's human nature.
This is really ridiculous. You can hate a guy but what really is the criteria for getting into the hall? The writers think that this is their payback but it really makes them a fucking joke to all sports fans!

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok but there are plenty of guys in the HOF that don't even have 1 season they can say they were the best in the NFL.
This is the HOF. It's about a player's career. It's not the Hall of Best Single Seasons.

Can you think of 1 season where Bettis was even in the discussion?
Since you asked, he was deservedly in the discussion for best RB in the NFL in 1993. However, as I have posted more than once here, I don't think Bettis should be in the HOF either.

And something so many people discussing this whole thing keep leaving out is the playoff success. I mean it isn't even an argument of who was the best playoff RB of all time...TD blows the competition away. We latch on to how did players do when the lights were brightest well that was when TD shined the most. That has to count for something.
It's easy to be the best anything of all time if you keep the sample size small enough--see Timmy Smith. Only 3 post seasons total, 1 good year, 2 great years. Just like his regular season career, his "greatest playoff RB" rep is based entirely on 2 great post-seasons.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine a team with Sanders that had to defend Elway? That fucker would get 8-10 yards easy. SOB!
Yea. Sanders had 2000 yards and 6.1ypc with Scott Mitchell at QB.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jerry Kramer isn't in then the HOF is a farce.
Jerry Kramer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jerry Kramer
No. 64
Position:
Offensive guard
Personal information
Date of birth:
January 23, 1936 (age 81)
Place of birth: Jordan, Montana
Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)
Weight: 245 lb (111 kg)
Career information
High school:
Sandpoint (ID)
College: Idaho
NFL Draft: 1958 / Round: 4 / Pick: 39
Career history
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
Games played:
Fumble recoveries: 3
Player stats at NFL.com
Player stats at PFR
Gerald Louis "Jerry" Kramer
(born January 23, 1936) is an American former professional football player, author and sports commentator, best remembered for his 11-year National Football League (NFL) career with the Green Bay Packers as an offensive lineman. As a 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m), 245-pound (111 kg) right guard, Kramer was an integral part of the famous "Packer Sweep", a signature play in which both guards rapidly pull out from their normal positions and lead block for the running back going around the end. Kramer was an All-Pro five times, and a member of the NFL's 50th anniversary team in 1969, but surprisingly, even after appearing on the list of finalists ten times since becoming eligible, has not been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He was rated No. 1 in NFL Network's Top 10 list of players not in the Hall of Fame.[1][2]

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the HOF. It's about a player's career. It's not the Hall of Best Single Seasons.

Since you asked, he was deservedly in the discussion for best RB in the NFL in 1993. However, as I have posted more than once here, I don't think Bettis should be in the HOF either.

It's easy to be the best anything of all time if you keep the sample size small enough--see Timmy Smith. Only 3 post seasons total, 1 good year, 2 great years. Just like his regular season career, his "greatest playoff RB" rep is based entirely on 2 great post-seasons.

Ok see you just keep changing the story here to fit your narrative. I was pointing out that his 1-2 seasons of being recognized as the best RB is better than some of the guys right now in the HOF.
No Jerome Bettis was not in the discussion. Emmitt Smith was by and far the best RB that season. Better yards per carry, yards, touchdowns, yards per game and so on. There isn't a discussion about it. Same with TD in 1998 as he had one of the best 5 seasons ever by a RB in the NFL.

As for the playoffs yeah his career doesn't have a ton of games but that hasn't stopped him from still being 6th in total yards rushing in playoff history with the 5 guys ahead of him having quite a few more games played.

Emmitt Smith--17 games
Terrell Davis--8 games
Franco Harris--19 games
Thurman Thomas--21 games
Tony Dorsett--17 games
Marcus Allen--16 games

Emmitt Smith is #1 in yards at 1586 yards...TD is 6th with 1,140 yards. So 9 games difference but only 446 yards of actual difference. TD would have had to average about 1/3rd of the yards per game he had averaged to end up less over the next 9 games.

4th in touchdowns only behind Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas, and Franco Harris again who had over double the games played that he did and he was only a few touchdowns away

So you can say small sample size but to me I look at that and see a guy who just flat out dominated in the playoffs like we have not seen. And that 8 game stretch of just playoff games ranks 4th of any 8 game stretch ever by a RB in NFL history. That includes playoffs and regular season.