• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

30 players who should be removed from the Hall-of-Fame...(NOT according to me).

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to this person/people (not me)...I don't agree with many of these. Reasons vary from off the field behavior, simply being overrated, popularity contest winners, not the best of their era, etc.

(1)Troy Aikman
(2)Bob Griese
(3)Marcus Allen
(4)OJ Simpson
(5)Jerome Bettis
(6)Bob Hayes
(7)Joe Namath
(8)Lawrence Taylor
(9)John Riggins
(10)Russ Grimm

(11)Cris Carter
(12)Dick LeBeau
(13)Curtis Martin
(14)Andre Tippett
(15)Michael irvin
(16)Ken Stabler
(17)Charlie Sanders
(18)Dan Dierdorf
(19)LeRoy Kelly
(20)Dan Hampton

(21)Art Monk
(22)Jan Stenerud
(23)Ray Nitschke
(24)Paul Hornung
(25)Lynn Swann
(26)Brett Favre
(27)Roger Wehrli
(28)Terrell Owens
(29)Richard Dent
(30)Frank Gatski

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About half of those guys you could justify kicking out.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 75 years old. I've seen a lot of football, and I remember a lot of thrills from many of these guys. Who among you remembers Stabler to Biletnikoff? Who remembers Blanda coming on in relief, getting his team to the 20 and then staying on the field to kick the winning field goal? Favre played the game for fun, so we could watch it for fun. And Ray Nitshchki deserves it JUST for The Longest Yard.

OJ? Fuck him.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 75 years old. I've seen a lot of football, and I remember a lot of thrills from many of these guys. Who among you remembers Stabler to Biletnikoff? Who remembers Blanda coming on in relief, getting his team to the 20 and then staying on the field to kick the winning field goal? Favre played the game for fun, so we could watch it for fun. And Ray Nitshchki deserves it JUST for The Longest Yard.

OJ? Fuck him.
that is probably part of the problem. People nowadays want to try & use nowadays thoughts for who got in in yesteryear.
I can only think of 2 players getting in on Hype instead of their careers.
Joe Namath & Lynn Swann.
Lynn Swann I figured would have gotten in anyways, but shouldnt been as soon as he did. He wasnt even the best WR on his own team. Stallworth had to wait a long time after Swann to get in.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About half of those guys you could justify kicking out.
Which ones would you remove?

I definitely would remove Jan Stenerud. With only a 66.8 career FG% (373-558) and a long of 55 he doesn't belong. He was the only pure PK in the hall for years...until Morten Andersen.

I'm not going to boot Troy Aikman. He won 3 rings and I give him his due as the starting QB. Having said that, if Aikman is in I contend that Phil Simms should be in. Simms said he, himself doesn't belong. I appreciate his modesty, but disagree. Regardless, if he doesn't get in, so be it. He's HOF in my book.

Joe Namath...same as Troy Aikman. I'm not going to kick him out. He was a big part of one of the biggest upsets in sports history. That helped sky rocket the game's popularity.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yawn. Every hall of fame has players who were popular but whose stats were not great, and compilers whose stats were great but who were never the best players at their positions.

Lynn Swann and Troy Aikman are names you hear a lot. I personally see Swann as a questionable selection, but he was an acrobatic receiver who made big plays that captured the public imagination. Aikman had mediocre stats nowhere near the current top QBs in the NFL but he was an extremely accurate passer on a run-first team. If Aikman had played in a modern NFL spread offense he would have had a lot of big seasons, trust me. He was an annoying pretty boy but a good QB.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What really kept Aikman from stock piling stats was he was often hurt, and only played 12 years 1989 -2000.

From 1990 to 1999, he had the 2nd most passing yards behind Elway. Granted some of the others of that time didn’t play 10 years (Jim Kelly only played 6 years in the 90s) but most we're active throughout the 90s.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerome Bettis I think should lead the list. And even my Bob Griese. He wasn’t even the QB during most of the undefeated season.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The earliest NFL was a semi-pro league. How good were the leagues before the AFL/NFL merger? Namath's name always comes up in these debates, 'because of 1 game'. Namath had multiple AFL All-Star appearances prior to the merger. How does that compare in a time of 2 small leagues and 2 ProBowl/All-Star games? Are there enough comparable press reports or enough tv tape to make a sound judgement? Is there any point trying to compare those leagues and players with the modern game? Namath had a great career compared to others at that time. Let it go.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The earliest NFL was a semi-pro league. How good were the leagues before the AFL/NFL merger? Namath's name always comes up in these debates, 'because of 1 game'. Namath had multiple AFL All-Star appearances prior to the merger. How does that compare in a time of 2 small leagues and 2 ProBowl/All-Star games? Are there enough comparable press reports or enough tv tape to make a sound judgement? Is there any point trying to compare those leagues and players with the modern game? Namath had a great career compared to others at that time. Let it go.
Thats a problem with a lot of us.

As a kid I thought Namath was great, because he was always talked about, and with just a few games on TV I didn't put to much time looking at all the players.

When I got older and looked at his numbers and compared them to 1980's and 1990's players I said he wasn't anything special. I failed to compare him against his peers.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Namath was a top 3 QB in the 60s. Wirh that That and his backed up guarantee, I have no problem with him in the HOF.

3) Joe Namath, New York Jets​

Namath became the first professional quarterback to pass for 4,000 yards when he threw for 4,007 yards in (1967), a record broken by Dan Fouts in a 16-game season in 1979 (4,082). Although Namath was plagued with knee injuries throughout his career, he was a great Q.B. during the last half of the 1960s. Namath was an AFL All-Star in 1965, 1967, 1968, and 1969. It is a shame that he was injured at Alabama; he could have been one of the greatest quarterbacks. Instead, he was more of a comet that shone brightly through the night sky but then disappeared too quickly for us to enjoy it.

2) Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts​

Unitas is still considered the greatest Q.B. of all time, and if he was not the greatest, he still belongs in the discussion. Unitas could not win a World Championship in the 1960s, but he did win a league MVP award in 1964 and 1967. The ’60s were a decade of what could have been for the Colts and Unitas. The Colts had the best Q.B. of the ’60s, but they had some holes to fill and never seemed to be able to do it; they got close but never could win the whole thing.

1) Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers​

Bart Starr can be summed up best in four words “he was a winner”! Starr is the only NFL QB to win three straight NFL Championships; he had a playoff record of 9-1. He also owns one league MVP award and two Super Bowl MVP awards. He often gets overlooked because he wasn’t flashy; he just blended into the team and did his job. Starr was the kind of guy who didn’t care who got the credit as long as the job got done.
Top Quarterbacks of the 1950s
Top Quarterbacks of the 1970s
Top Quarterbacks of the 1980s

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a kid I thought Namath was great, because he was always talked about, and with just a few games on TV I didn't put to much time looking at all the players.

When I got older and looked at his numbers and compared them to 1980's and 1990's players I said he wasn't anything special. I failed to compare him against his peers.

The further back in history you go, the uglier the passing efficiency numbers are. There are outliers like Otto Graham, who had insanely high efficiency in both the AAFC and the NFL. Namath belongs, IMO.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Namath was a top 3 QB in the 60s. Wirh that That and his backed up guarantee, I have no problem with him in the HOF.

Namath became the first professional quarterback to pass for 4,000 yards when he threw for 4,007 yards in (1967), a record broken by Dan Fouts in a 16-game season in 1979 (4,082). Although Namath was plagued with knee injuries throughout his career, he was a great Q.B. during the last half of the 1960s. Namath was an AFL All-Star in 1965, 1967, 1968, and 1969. It is a shame that he was injured at Alabama; he could have been one of the greatest quarterbacks. Instead, he was more of a comet that shone brightly through the night sky but then disappeared too quickly for us to enjoy it.

Unitas is still considered the greatest Q.B. of all time, and if he was not the greatest, he still belongs in the discussion. Unitas could not win a World Championship in the 1960s, but he did win a league MVP award in 1964 and 1967. The ’60s were a decade of what could have been for the Colts and Unitas. The Colts had the best Q.B. of the ’60s, but they had some holes to fill and never seemed to be able to do it; they got close but never could win the whole thing.

Bart Starr can be summed up best in four words “he was a winner”! Starr is the only NFL QB to win three straight NFL Championships; he had a playoff record of 9-1. He also owns one league MVP award and two Super Bowl MVP awards. He often gets overlooked because he wasn’t flashy; he just blended into the team and did his job. Starr was the kind of guy who didn’t care who got the credit as long as the job got done.

The Namath documentary is really good. Usually, I don't like watching documentaries, but this one was an exception. He was a crazy good athlete before the knee injury in college. He was known for dunking in high school basketball games. I guess he was a hot dog from the beginning.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unitas won with the Colts in 1970 Superbowl.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind that corners could hold and mug receivers back in the day when you consider the passing numbers also. The modern game is two have touch compared with what passers and receivers faced in the 50s and 60s.

Unitas was crazy good when you weigh all that.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, but it is hard to argue against the fact that he beat 1 winning the rest of his career after winning the Super Bowl.