• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Terrell Davis should not be a HOF

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok see you just keep changing the story here to fit your narrative. I was pointing out that his 1-2 seasons of being recognized as the best RB is better than some of the guys right now in the HOF.
No Jerome Bettis was not in the discussion. Emmitt Smith was by and far the best RB that season. Better yards per carry, yards, touchdowns, yards per game and so on. There isn't a discussion about it. Same with TD in 1998 as he had one of the best 5 seasons ever by a RB in the NFL.

As for the playoffs yeah his career doesn't have a ton of games but that hasn't stopped him from still being 6th in total yards rushing in playoff history with the 5 guys ahead of him having quite a few more games played.

Emmitt Smith--17 games
Terrell Davis--8 games
Franco Harris--19 games
Thurman Thomas--21 games
Tony Dorsett--17 games
Marcus Allen--16 games

Emmitt Smith is #1 in yards at 1586 yards...TD is 6th with 1,140 yards. So 9 games difference but only 446 yards of actual difference. TD would have had to average about 1/3rd of the yards per game he had averaged to end up less over the next 9 games.

4th in touchdowns only behind Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas, and Franco Harris again who had over double the games played that he did and he was only a few touchdowns away

So you can say small sample size but to me I look at that and see a guy who just flat out dominated in the playoffs like we have not seen. And that 8 game stretch of just playoff games ranks 4th of any 8 game stretch ever by a RB in NFL history. That includes playoffs and regular season.

Okay. You've convinced me.

:nod:

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok see you just keep changing the story here to fit your narrative.
No. You are the one who brought up his playoff performance. Not me. You brought up that he was considered the best RB while he was playing. Not me. I merely responded to them, pointing out the flaws of both arguments. I haven't changed any story. What's happening is that you're clutching at straws.

I was pointing out that his 1-2 seasons of being recognized as the best RB is better than some of the guys right now in the HOF.
That would really matter if it was the Hall of Best Single Seasons. Even 2 great years is not a HOF career when the entire career is just 4 years long.

No Jerome Bettis was not in the discussion. Emmitt Smith was by and far the best RB that season. Better yards per carry, yards, touchdowns, yards per game and so on. There isn't a discussion about it. Same with TD in 1998 as he had one of the best 5 seasons ever by a RB in the NFL.
I didn't say he was the best RB in the league in 93. You asked if Bettis was ever in the discussion for best RB. In 93, a discussion of the best RBs in the NFL would include the Bettis. If you don't think he was in the discussion, I'd ask whether you remember the 93 season or whether you're just looking at a stat page.

As for the playoffs yeah his career doesn't have a ton of games but that hasn't stopped him from still being 6th in total yards rushing in playoff history with the 5 guys ahead of him having quite a few more games played.

Emmitt Smith--17 games
Terrell Davis--8 games
Franco Harris--19 games
Thurman Thomas--21 games
Tony Dorsett--17 games
Marcus Allen--16 games

Emmitt Smith is #1 in yards at 1586 yards...TD is 6th with 1,140 yards. So 9 games difference but only 446 yards of actual difference. TD would have had to average about 1/3rd of the yards per game he had averaged to end up less over the next 9 games.

4th in touchdowns only behind Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas, and Franco Harris again who had over double the games played that he did and he was only a few touchdowns away

So you can say small sample size but to me I look at that and see a guy who just flat out dominated in the playoffs like we have not seen. And that 8 game stretch of just playoff games ranks 4th of any 8 game stretch ever by a RB in NFL history. That includes playoffs and regular season.
I won't dispute that Davis was a dominant playoff RB...in 2 seasons. His whole case for the HOF is a small sample size, just 4 years. Too small for the HOF.

As an example, Suppose a RB rushed for 2,000 yards in back to back seasons, then had a 1,300 yard season, was good (not great) in the playoffs all 3 years, then got injured and never played again. Is that a HOF career? Davis's induction says it probably is and, as long as he was a nice guy, too many of those voting for him would base their votes on 2 or 3 great seasons, point to how he was the absolute best for 2 years, and say to themselves, "imagine how great he'd have been if he hadn't gotten hurt!" And that is why Davis shouldn't be in the HOF.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on this.