• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teams that have been down way too long

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fix his recruiting??? What, top 5 classes aren't good enough now???

Stars and class rank only mean so much.

As previously said, you got to get the players for your system. You also have to pick the kids who aren't maxed out, eye the potential. It falls into coaching a little, but more so into eye balling and seeing the potential of recruits.

btw heres a quick little 'true story' about recruiting. I went to high school and played with Baker Stienkuler who a couple years back in 07 was top 10 #1 or #2 overall linemen prospect in the Nation. Now I played CB so I didn't really physically see how good he was, I payed attention to my shit. However I remember doing our lifting/vertical/40's/shuffles times/numbers. Baker ran a solid 5.1 5.2 40, however on rivals and all the recruiting sites my coach listed it as '4.7'. I also remember seeing how they added an extra 20-30 lbs on bench etc. The HS talent in Nebraska isn't all that great either. Baker was good, no doubt. 5 star though? Nope. He was probably a 3.5 star but shined in a state with little to no competition. His numbers and times were posted better than what he could perform because his dad was an All-American in college. That's why I don't put much into recruiting sites and shit like that. You have to eye ball, because people sometimes the stars/ratings are not justified.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As previously said, you got to get the players for your system. You also have to pick the kids who aren't maxed out, eye the potential. It falls into coaching a little, but more so into eye balling and seeing the potential of recruits.

btw heres a quick little 'true story' about recruiting. I went to high school and played with Baker Stienkuler who a couple years back in 07 was top 10 #1 or #2 overall linemen prospect in the Nation. Now I played CB so I didn't really physically see how good he was, I payed attention to my shit. However I remember doing our lifting/vertical/40's/shuffles times/numbers. Baker ran a solid 5.1 5.2 40, however on rivals and all the recruiting sites my coach listed it as '4.7'. I also remember seeing how they added an extra 20-30 lbs on bench etc. The HS talent in Nebraska isn't all that great either. Baker was good, no doubt. 5 star though? Nope. He was probably a 3.5 star but shined in a state with little to no competition. His numbers and times were posted better than what he could perform because his dad was an All-American in college. That's why I don't put much into recruiting sites and shit like that. You have to eye ball, because people sometimes the stars/ratings are not justified.

I don't agree. The problem is he's changed his system 3 times the last 4 years. The problem isn't talent in any way shape or form.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas was the undefeated #2 team in the country playing for a national title in......

The olden days of yore 2009

I think Texas still has a few players left over from 2009 on the roster.

Too long.....?? Okay, whatever.

By that logic, the last Sooner title was in the Jurassic era.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, but Michigan won a BCS Bowl like a year or 2 ago. Yea, "down way too long with no end in sight".

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
colorado:gaah: & syracuse:gaah:

both used to have some pretty storied programs

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida State and Miami seem to be pulling themselves out of the ditch.
Tennessee looked like an improved team until they played Alabama.
Nebraska just still looks like shit even though they are winning 9-10 games a year.
Washington finally is making some strides.
Oklahoma and Texas are idling around mediocre.
Michigan seems a lot like Nebraska.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont forget tennessee

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Baker ran a solid 5.1 5.2 40, however on rivals and all the recruiting sites my coach listed it as '4.7'. I also remember seeing how they added an extra 20-30 lbs on bench etc.

That's kind of like in basketball when a guy is 5'8" and he is listed as 6' in the program. :lol:

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan, Texas, Washington, and Tennessee.

I think that covers it. Serious drought with some of these with no end in sight.

Which teams here have a chance to be national title contenders the quickest?

Penn State - Agree. Their reputation is tainted for a generation. They won't be winning jack for 20 years.

Nebraska - Slow Spiral. Leaving Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma schools have them floating in the wind looking for relevance. Wisconsin is now their "big" rival. That's just sad. Their window is closing. 16 years since their last title.

Michigan - Another 16 year drought program. They seem to be headed in the right direction. Fans don't seem to have too unrealistic expectations like Nebraska fans do. They just want to get back to beating their big rival.

Texas - I don't see any drought. They played for the title game in '09, won it in '05 and have some young talent coming up. Being on the verge of getting a new young hottest coach out there helps too. They shouldn't be on this list.

Washington - Stock is rising. New Stadium and some momentum building. A few years away from being considered a contender but they are not losing to scrubs as much as they used to. Ty Willingham was such a terrible coach.

Tennessee - The history is there. They talent is in the area. They just can't find a good coach. Tennessee is going down a dangerous path and has fallen off the map since '99. They need to win the SEC east to get momentum. Moral victories won't cut it in the SEC.

Texas without a doubt is the one next to win a title on that list, but like I said they don't belong on that list. If you leave them off, I would say Tennessee.

Last edited by a moderator:

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the Huskies become dominant again.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

THIS.

I'd love to see someone other that Oregon and USC as contenders in the PAC. I'd like to see UCLA and one of the Zona schools become a force as well.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Until they find a way to recruit the quality of linemen they need 10+ win seasons will be out of reach. Sark can attract QB's, WR's, TE's, and RB's, but you won't be dominating on the road without the guys up front to make it all work. Their stock is rising and each class has been better than the last.

Michigan and Texas have recruiting advantages with their history, location, and setting that all it takes is the right coach to get a run going. Tennessee isn't far behind them, but only because they are in the SEC. Penn State will recover from their scandals and rebuild what they had. Of that list UW had the glory days under a once in a lifetime coach that built that program. Sark isn't James. They have the setting and location as far as the Pac12 North goes, but they don't have anywhere near the recruiting advantage of those others and I'm not sure their history is attractive enough to add to those national recruits.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of your list there, to be fair, Michigan deserves to be on there no more than Oklahoma. Since they booted Rich Rod and hired Fatboy Hoke, they have all of 1 less win overall than Oklahoma while winning a BCS bowl more recently, so you may need to take a look at your Sooners for this list if Michigan is there.

What the hell are you talking about? Oklahoma won the Big XII last year and has won 2 of the last 3 conference titles.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of your list there, to be fair, Michigan deserves to be on there no more than Oklahoma. Since they booted Rich Rod and hired Fatboy Hoke, they have all of 1 less win overall than Oklahoma while winning a BCS bowl more recently, so you may need to take a look at your Sooners for this list if Michigan is there.

What the hell are you talking about? Oklahoma won the Big XII last year and has won 2 of the last 3 conference titles.

Big deal, the Big 12 isn't that challenging at the top. OU hasn't had to deal with anyone as good as Ohio State or Wisconsin recently outside of Okie State that one year. It doesn't change the fact that you've got basically the same record as Michigan in the last 2.5 seasons and they've won a BCS bowl more recently. Hell, if OU isn't down, why haven't they won a BCS game vs. anyone but a 4-loss UConn team in a decade? You've won how many Big 12 titles yet can't compete vs. the big dogs, so how can you say OU isn't at least a little bit down?

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska
Tennessee
Miami

These are the correct answers

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No end in sight? That's a little dramatic. I'd actually argue that there's hope quickly around the corner for Michigan. We're recruiting unlike we ever have in the recruiting ranking era. Our biggest problem right now is still depth and youth, which can only be changed over time with good recruiting.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have no clue what too long is.