• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

teams in the KC race this off season

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
todays game doesnt matter the defense checked out from the first snap

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is counting the effect of the weather. I am not giving anyone a pass but look at this game and the Philly game in Philadelphia. You had to be able to run the ball today and the Skins could not do that. The Giants did.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is counting the effect of the weather. I am not giving anyone a pass but look at this game and the Philly game in Philadelphia. You had to be able to run the ball today and the Skins could not do that. The Giants did.

Good points!!

However based on that, I put in a video call to the league offices, talked to the commissioner directly, and asked him "if we could retroactively get points for that?" This was his response:

upload_2018-1-1_6-6-48.jpeg

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure of your point Sty?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Brewer...

imrs.php

Kirk Cousins threw three interceptions but also recorded enough passing yards to surpass 4,000 for a third straight season. (Toni Sandys/Washingon, DC)
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — In the last game of his most taxing season, Kirk Cousins was a dud. The Washington Redskins quarterback, overanalyzed even by the position's standard, couldn't lift his team to mediocrity anymore. Heck, he could barely convert a first down.

It wasn't just his worst game of the season; it was the worst of his 57 career starts. Never has he endured this wretched a trifecta of low production, high turnovers and poor efficiency. Late in the season, as Washington scraped together the vigor to keep from collapsing, you saw the value of Cousins's stable and effective style. On Sunday at frigid MetLife Stadium, you saw nothing from him. Nothing good. So Washington's season ended with an 18-10 loss to the New York Giants, a bitter result that halted the team's happy dance toward an 8-8 record and left the never-ending Cousins contract saga with a bad final memory of 2017.

If the Cousins supporters were toasting his three-touchdown performance last week against Denver in what could have been his last home game at FedEx Field, then his detractors are ordering champagne now. It's a vicious cycle that the franchise perpetuates with its indecision and lack of creativity in negotiating with Cousins. For the better part of three seasons — 48 games — Cousins has been playing for his future, having his worth scrutinized with every performance.

Related: [Redskins fail to reach .500 against lowly Giants]

It needs to stop, mostly for our sanity. The experience is so unhealthy that truthful and balanced evaluation gets washed away by the hyperbole leaking from both sides. His highs have become asinine "Told ya so!" material. His lows have become embarrassing "You like that!" taunts. A fair contract proposal seems like the most intricate puzzle ever created. Maybe that's because we're all dumber for going through this debacle.

It can't just be that Cousins is a good quarterback who played a terrible game Sunday. There must be some mystery about him that the performance exposed, some proof — See! See! See! — that he is unworthy of whatever big payday he will receive. This bad taste will linger into the offseason and influence Washington's simple-minded decision-making in some way, just like the disappointment of missing the playoffs in the last game of 2016 colored the franchise's thinking.

Related: [Steinberg: 27 things I hated about Washington’s season-ending loss to the Giants]

In the previous two games, in victories over Arizona and Denver, the story line became the importance of a competent starting quarterback. Cousins was good in those games, his counterparts were terrible, and it was easy to declare, "Would you rather have a quarterback who can play? Or would you rather be searching like those poor losers?"

Now comes the other side. Cousins completed only 20 of 37 passes for 158 yards. He threw three interceptions, one of which led to a Giants touchdown. He hadn't thrown three picks in a game since Oct. 12, 2014. His 31.1 passer rating was the worst of his 57 career starts. His 158 yards were the third fewest of his career. He ran for Washington's only touchdown, but he didn't throw a touchdown pass for only the sixth time as a starter.

"It wasn't good," Coach Jay Gruden said when asked about Cousins's performance. "Nobody on offense played good. I called the plays, and I was awful. So anytime you have a performance like this, it's just not good by anybody, unfortunately."

Gruden's offense gained just 197 yards and finished with only one third-down conversion in 13 attempts. It took the 3-13 Giants just 2:18 to score enough points to win. New York running back Orleans Darkwa ran for a 75-yard touchdown on the Giants' second play, part of Darkwa's 154-yard effort and 260 rushing yards for the team. On the ensuing drive, Cousins threw an interception to linebacker Kelvin Sheppard on third down, giving the Giants the ball 19 yards from the end zone. After Eli Manning threw a touchdown pass to Hunter Sharp, New York led 12-0.

During this span, Washington also lost starting running back Samaje Perine to an ankle injury, and Ty Nsekhe — Trent Williams's replacement at left tackle — went down with a knee injury. The game was all but over, unless Cousins could make something out of nothing.

Once considered merely a system quarterback, Cousins has grown in his ability to elevate an undermanned team. He has willed the team to several victories, including road wins over Seattle and the Los Angeles Rams. On Sunday, he surpassed 4,000 passing yards for the third straight season, the first quarterback to do so in franchise history. His numbers — 4,093 yards, 27 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 93.9 passer rating — amount to a very rewarding season after you consider all the injuries and personnel miscalculations that contributed to the offense's struggles.

Related: [The best and worst moments from the Redskins’ loss]

Cousins gave this feeble offense a chance most every game. Sunday was so startling because, even if you don't value Cousins's talent as much as others, it's rare for him to be so ineffective. He overthrew some passes and underthrew others. At times, he was too aggressive and forced the issue. He couldn't drop back and throw the ball without being hounded by the Giants' pass rush. He didn't even show his usual touch on short passes.

"The fact of the matter was we never really got it going," Cousins said. "A combination of reasons, but I was really disappointed with the fact that we never really found a rhythm and couldn't really get going."

Since taking over for Robert Griffin III as the full-time starting quarterback, Cousins has played 48 games. The stats suggest this is a once-in-48 clunker. It happens to every quarterback. In the big picture, it doesn't mean much to how Cousins is evaluated. Cousins continues to evolve, but there aren't any major revelations left. He's an efficient, productive quarterback who is ideal for a balanced football team. As he proved this season, he's more comfortable carrying heavier responsibility than he used to be, and perhaps that makes Washington more amenable to offering him a long-term deal with a guarantee in the $80 million range.

After placing the franchise tag on Cousins for two straight seasons, Washington is faced again with the same offseason issue: It needs to develop the guts, either to offer Cousins can't-say-no money or to let him go for whatever return it can salvage. At this point, it's possible that freedom is most valuable to both sides. Cousins is just as reticent to commit. And Washington has gone 9-7, 8-7-1 and now 7-9 in the past three seasons. The franchise isn't a disaster right now, and Cousins has been a huge part of that. But with a 24-23-1 record over three seasons with Cousins as a starter, it's clear this team is stuck on average, and is it possible to get beyond that while retaining Cousins at what would have to be a record-setting price?

That's the question. It's a nuanced, vexing question since Washington failed to sign him when his value was lower. It's not, "Cousins threw for 300 yards! Is $30 million a year enough?" And it's certainly not, "Cousins threw three picks. Can we trade him for better turf at FedEx?"

"We have to have stability at that position, somehow, some way," Gruden said.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Brewer...

imrs.php

Kirk Cousins threw three interceptions but also recorded enough passing yards to surpass 4,000 for a third straight season. (Toni Sandys/Washingon, DC)
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — In the last game of his most taxing season, Kirk Cousins was a dud. The Washington Redskins quarterback, overanalyzed even by the position's standard, couldn't lift his team to mediocrity anymore. Heck, he could barely convert a first down.

It wasn't just his worst game of the season; it was the worst of his 57 career starts. Never has he endured this wretched a trifecta of low production, high turnovers and poor efficiency. Late in the season, as Washington scraped together the vigor to keep from collapsing, you saw the value of Cousins's stable and effective style. On Sunday at frigid MetLife Stadium, you saw nothing from him. Nothing good. So Washington's season ended with an 18-10 loss to the New York Giants, a bitter result that halted the team's happy dance toward an 8-8 record and left the never-ending Cousins contract saga with a bad final memory of 2017.

If the Cousins supporters were toasting his three-touchdown performance last week against Denver in what could have been his last home game at FedEx Field, then his detractors are ordering champagne now. It's a vicious cycle that the franchise perpetuates with its indecision and lack of creativity in negotiating with Cousins. For the better part of three seasons — 48 games — Cousins has been playing for his future, having his worth scrutinized with every performance.

Related: [Redskins fail to reach .500 against lowly Giants]

It needs to stop, mostly for our sanity. The experience is so unhealthy that truthful and balanced evaluation gets washed away by the hyperbole leaking from both sides. His highs have become asinine "Told ya so!" material. His lows have become embarrassing "You like that!" taunts. A fair contract proposal seems like the most intricate puzzle ever created. Maybe that's because we're all dumber for going through this debacle.

It can't just be that Cousins is a good quarterback who played a terrible game Sunday. There must be some mystery about him that the performance exposed, some proof — See! See! See! — that he is unworthy of whatever big payday he will receive. This bad taste will linger into the offseason and influence Washington's simple-minded decision-making in some way, just like the disappointment of missing the playoffs in the last game of 2016 colored the franchise's thinking.

Related: [Steinberg: 27 things I hated about Washington’s season-ending loss to the Giants]

In the previous two games, in victories over Arizona and Denver, the story line became the importance of a competent starting quarterback. Cousins was good in those games, his counterparts were terrible, and it was easy to declare, "Would you rather have a quarterback who can play? Or would you rather be searching like those poor losers?"

Now comes the other side. Cousins completed only 20 of 37 passes for 158 yards. He threw three interceptions, one of which led to a Giants touchdown. He hadn't thrown three picks in a game since Oct. 12, 2014. His 31.1 passer rating was the worst of his 57 career starts. His 158 yards were the third fewest of his career. He ran for Washington's only touchdown, but he didn't throw a touchdown pass for only the sixth time as a starter.

"It wasn't good," Coach Jay Gruden said when asked about Cousins's performance. "Nobody on offense played good. I called the plays, and I was awful. So anytime you have a performance like this, it's just not good by anybody, unfortunately."

Gruden's offense gained just 197 yards and finished with only one third-down conversion in 13 attempts. It took the 3-13 Giants just 2:18 to score enough points to win. New York running back Orleans Darkwa ran for a 75-yard touchdown on the Giants' second play, part of Darkwa's 154-yard effort and 260 rushing yards for the team. On the ensuing drive, Cousins threw an interception to linebacker Kelvin Sheppard on third down, giving the Giants the ball 19 yards from the end zone. After Eli Manning threw a touchdown pass to Hunter Sharp, New York led 12-0.

During this span, Washington also lost starting running back Samaje Perine to an ankle injury, and Ty Nsekhe — Trent Williams's replacement at left tackle — went down with a knee injury. The game was all but over, unless Cousins could make something out of nothing.

Once considered merely a system quarterback, Cousins has grown in his ability to elevate an undermanned team. He has willed the team to several victories, including road wins over Seattle and the Los Angeles Rams. On Sunday, he surpassed 4,000 passing yards for the third straight season, the first quarterback to do so in franchise history. His numbers — 4,093 yards, 27 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 93.9 passer rating — amount to a very rewarding season after you consider all the injuries and personnel miscalculations that contributed to the offense's struggles.

Related: [The best and worst moments from the Redskins’ loss]

Cousins gave this feeble offense a chance most every game. Sunday was so startling because, even if you don't value Cousins's talent as much as others, it's rare for him to be so ineffective. He overthrew some passes and underthrew others. At times, he was too aggressive and forced the issue. He couldn't drop back and throw the ball without being hounded by the Giants' pass rush. He didn't even show his usual touch on short passes.

"The fact of the matter was we never really got it going," Cousins said. "A combination of reasons, but I was really disappointed with the fact that we never really found a rhythm and couldn't really get going."

Since taking over for Robert Griffin III as the full-time starting quarterback, Cousins has played 48 games. The stats suggest this is a once-in-48 clunker. It happens to every quarterback. In the big picture, it doesn't mean much to how Cousins is evaluated. Cousins continues to evolve, but there aren't any major revelations left. He's an efficient, productive quarterback who is ideal for a balanced football team. As he proved this season, he's more comfortable carrying heavier responsibility than he used to be, and perhaps that makes Washington more amenable to offering him a long-term deal with a guarantee in the $80 million range.

After placing the franchise tag on Cousins for two straight seasons, Washington is faced again with the same offseason issue: It needs to develop the guts, either to offer Cousins can't-say-no money or to let him go for whatever return it can salvage. At this point, it's possible that freedom is most valuable to both sides. Cousins is just as reticent to commit. And Washington has gone 9-7, 8-7-1 and now 7-9 in the past three seasons. The franchise isn't a disaster right now, and Cousins has been a huge part of that. But with a 24-23-1 record over three seasons with Cousins as a starter, it's clear this team is stuck on average, and is it possible to get beyond that while retaining Cousins at what would have to be a record-setting price?

That's the question. It's a nuanced, vexing question since Washington failed to sign him when his value was lower. It's not, "Cousins threw for 300 yards! Is $30 million a year enough?" And it's certainly not, "Cousins threw three picks. Can we trade him for better turf at FedEx?"

"We have to have stability at that position, somehow, some way," Gruden said.

This is the most important take from all of this, because we all must value mental health.

"A fair contract proposal seems like the most intricate puzzle ever created. Maybe that's because we're all dumber for going through this debacle."

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the most important take from all of this, because we all must value mental health.

"A fair contract proposal seems like the most intricate puzzle ever created. Maybe that's because we're all dumber for going through this debacle."

Agreed, tho I’d add the beginning of the paragraph.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wish for Cousin's and the Redskins:

1. LTD
2. Transition tag - either match the offer or work a trade

That's it, I don't want to see another one year deal. I agree with the "sanity" thing. I am tired of all the back and forth. If you don't want him then let him go and whoever you bring in better be good or those of us who have supported him will call for the FOs head.

I am not a personnel guy, not even a fan of Michigan State but I remember walking out of a restaurant in Occoquan looking at my phone and seeing they had drafted Cousin's and I pumped my fist.

In the end I think the FO would have to have blind luck to build a winning team. I have 18 years under Dan that says I am right.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden lukewarm in praise for Cousins

Well - so so praise for Cousins from Gruden. I guess in a way Gruden does what he has to given the fact that things could go either way (& I doubt that Gruden's praise is going to be the tie breaker). In a way Gruden is kind of correct - Kirk did some very good things & some not so good things. I am on record in wanting to retain Cousins, but if he goes well you just do the best that you can. My fear is not so much that they go in another direction but rather their poor track record in selecting QBs. Oh well - it is not our decision anyhow so it matters little what we think.

HTTR & Fuck Dan Snyder.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well - so so praise for Cousins from Gruden. I guess in a way Gruden does what he has to given the fact that things could go either way (& I doubt that Gruden's praise is going to be the tie breaker). In a way Gruden is kind of correct - Kirk did some very good things & some not so good things. I am on record in wanting to retain Cousins, but if he goes well you just do the best that you can. My fear is not so much that they go in another direction but rather their poor track record in selecting QBs. Oh well - it is not our decision anyhow so it matters little what we think.

HTTR & Fuck Dan Snyder.

For career longevity, Gruden might be better served with a rookie QB.

Here is why. Lets say we retain Cousins, he throws for another 4000 yards and around 30 TDs, but we finish 7-9 or worse. Gruden is gone.

We draft a rookie, and unless we finish 2-12, Gruden is safe for another year.

Add in the high probability that the front Office actually doesnt want to keep Cousins, and Jay realises that going against Bruce is the quickest way to find yourself unemployed and the subject of some rather career damaging rumors.

In the end, Jay sounds like a man who wants to keep his job more than his QB at this point.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here is why. Lets say we retain Cousins, he throws for another 4000 yards and around 30 TDs, but we finish 7-9 or worse. Gruden is gone.

Add in the high probability that the front Office actually doesnt want to keep Cousins, and Jay realises that going against Bruce is the quickest way to find yourself unemployed and the subject of some rather career damaging rumors.

In the end, Jay sounds like a man who wants to keep his job more than his QB at this point.

What I find funny is his praise of Trent Williams, Brandon Scherff, and Ryan Kerrigan, while putting our record on Cousins. Trent and Scherff neither looked like themselves this season and that affects KC. RK plays a position where it is all about him, oh and he did play very well this season. KC position is the most dependent on the entire team.

I can tell you right now...if I am Kirk, I am gone.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I find funny is his praise of Trent Williams, Brandon Scherff, and Ryan Kerrigan, while putting our record on Cousins. Trent and Scherff neither looked like themselves this season and that affects KC. RK plays a position where it is all about him, oh and he did play very well this season. KC position is the most dependent on the entire team.

I can tell you right now...if I am Kirk, I am gone.
221422.jpg

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well - you could be right. In the end the team certainly won't factor in the fans opinions so it matters little what we believe. That in itself is fine. However I just want this team to have a philosophy and stick with it for once. I am so tired of this pattern of the Redskins stinking for the most part & say making the playoffs every 4 or 5 years & getting trounced in the first round & then stinking the following season. Have a plan & stick with it.

You can't blame all of their problems on injuries - the lack of a solid organization is their biggest issue. We will see what happens. Oh well - time for the best part of the year for the Redskins - the offseason - it appears to be their biggest priority & they are all about making the big splash (& not really caring about the real season).

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HTTR & Fuck Dan Snyder.

That funny rating was specifically given because of the "Fuck Dan Snyder":suds:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That funny rating was specifically given because of the "Fuck Dan Snyder":suds:

NP - appreciate it. Sorry for the negativity & ranting. I am just so frustrated at this pt & hope is at a low pt for me in terms of this team. Who knows - maybe this is just the time where they rebound & play well next season, but I just have a hard time believing it now & really can't recall many franchises like this that appear to care so little for their fan base. Time for them to prove everyone wrong.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well - you could be right. In the end the team certainly won't factor in the fans opinions so it matters little what we believe. That in itself is fine. However I just want this team to have a philosophy and stick with it for once. I am so tired of this pattern of the Redskins stinking for the most part & say making the playoffs every 4 or 5 years & getting trounced in the first round & then stinking the following season. Have a plan & stick with it.

You can't blame all of their problems on injuries - the lack of a solid organization is their biggest issue. We will see what happens. Oh well - time for the best part of the year for the Redskins - the offseason - it appears to be their biggest priority & they are all about making the big splash (& not really caring about the real season).

Bruce Allen's plan:

th

They also have a 3 point plan and for the most part have stuck to it.

Here's Dan Snyder's:

th

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Allen's plan:

th

They also have a 3 point plan and for the most part have stuck to it.

Here's Dan Snyder's:

th

The saddest part of all this is... we are going on two generations of Redskins fans where the best they have seen from the team was a result of the dumbest trade in NFL history. So we will continue winning off the field, because that works for a portion of the current fan base apparently.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The saddest part of all this is... we are going on two generations of Redskins fans where the best they have seen from the team was a result of the dumbest trade in NFL history. So we will continue winning off the field, because that works for a portion of the current fan base apparently.

As one of those fans...I don't think we're any more interested in the winning off the field BS than the rest of you.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As one of those fans...I don't think we're any more interested in the winning off the field BS than the rest of you.

Serious question... how old were you in 91??