• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Targeting

What are your thoughts on Targeting?

• Leave it as is

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Let them play

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Bring back leather helmets

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Maybe we should just go to 7 on 7

• 2 hand touch below the waist

• I love Mike Periera and replays

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Tuna Salad Sandwich

• Players should respect each others space and just fall down before being tackled

• I love soccer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bobby Boucher needs to give tackling lessons

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really need to get rid of the ejection portion of targeting.. Penn State (yes it was by the definition targeting) but he was just going full speed and deserved a flag for sure but not an ejection
looked like he hit the shoulder first too....

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looked like he hit the shoulder first too....

He "lowered" the crown of his helmet and "lead with it" and it doesn't actually matter where he hits a player if he "lead" with the crown....

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He "lowered" the crown of his helmet and "lead with it" and it doesn't actually matter where he hits a player if he "lead" with the crown....
hands were even with the helmet too me...were going to disagree on this hit but agree the rule sucks so be it

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hands were even with the helmet too me...were going to disagree on this hit but agree the rule sucks so be it

One replay looked like a targeting and then another didn't. I see what you are saying and I see it as well.. It's so undefined and stupid in general. Commentators certainly thought it was though (Not that that should mean anything)

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, just treat it like an unsportsmanlike penalty. 15 yards and an ejection after the second one. This will make it easier for the referees to call it, because it won’t lead to a penalty imposed into the next game. And keep it on the field, no need to call for a review from the press box if it’s just a unsportsmanlike penalty.
I agree with foster4prez and Irish7478 on this one. Keep targeting but drop the ejections unless it happens more than once.

I'm sort of old school and want to say, just let them play, but the #s of youth going into football has dropped, and the average age of the ones who do play, starting has gone up. More and more parents are advocating to some degree for their kids to play other sports. The sport is never going away, but it could shrink, and this trend won't change until the sport is made safer to play.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami just called for it...

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should remove the ejection for that one as well.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least they allow the player to remain on the sidelines instead of being forced into the locker room but yes @SignalBama get rid of the ejection unless it is a horrendous play

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least they allow the player to remain on the sidelines instead of being forced into the locker room but yes @SignalBama get rid of the ejection unless it is a horrendous play
He just wasn't being egregious. He reacted in the moment instinctively. Call the targeting obviously so players learn not to lower their head but don't eject a kid that wasn't trying to hurt someone.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just wasn't being egregious. He reacted in the moment instinctively. Call the targeting obviously so players learn not to lower their head but don't eject a kid that wasn't trying to hurt someone.

I wasn't saying he was. I agree with you to allow him to NOT be ejected as I don't want players ejected UNLESS it is totally egregious... Which neither teams targeting was

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get rid of targeting and only call unnecessary flagrant hits.... and just call them as unsportsmanlike conducts or unnecessary roughnesses.

It's a collision sports and big hits are part of the game. If you don't want to risk injury and millions, then don't play. If you do, when then you know what you are getting into. Can we all stop pretending that this isn't a dangerous, collision sport?

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get rid of targeting and only call unnecessary flagrant hits.... and just call them as unsportsmanlike conducts or unnecessary roughnesses.

It's a collision sports and big hits are part of the game. If you don't want to risk injury and millions, then don't play. If you do, when then you know what you are getting into. Can we all stop pretending that this isn't a dangerous, collision sport?
What about the whole 'high incidence of concussion' thing? If these moves served as a deterrent and cut down on the number per year, would it be worth it?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the whole 'high incidence of concussion' thing? If these moves served as a deterrent and cut down on the number per year, would it be worth it?
1. Not to sound crass, but I don't care. It is part of the game.

2. Pretty certain there was a study that found the majority of concussions occurred during practices. Hence the NCAAs new practice rules and limited contact.

3. I am all for making the equipment as safe as possible. If they want to incentivize all these giant financial institutions to create the best pads, helmets, etc... that actually help, great. Changing the sport and wussifying it is not the answer. Limiting pads, tackling, etc.. in practices is not the answer, now these kids aren't learning how to actually tackle in practice and more injuries will occur. At some point we just have to say 'Hey, it's fucking dangerous.'

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2. Pretty certain there was a study that found the majority of concussions occurred during practices. Hence the NCAAs new practice rules and limited contact.

3. I am all for making the equipment as safe as possible. If they want to incentivize all these giant financial institutions to create the best pads, helmets, etc... that actually help, great. Changing the sport and wussifying it is not the answer. Limiting pads, tackling, etc.. in practices is not the answer, now these kids aren't learning how to actually tackle in practice and more injuries will occur. At some point we just have to say 'Hey, it's fucking dangerous.'
You should read up on John Gagliardi's philosophy. He won more college football games than anyone I believe?

If the cfb world moves towards protecting players safety, he was WAY ahead of his time.

He did things way differently than what was commonly accepted as required ways of doing things and yet he won several Natl Titles, and ended up winning more games than anyone else, EVER.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should read up on John Gagliardi's philosophy. He won more college football games than anyone I believe?

If the cfb world moves towards protecting players safety, he was WAY ahead of his time.

He did things way differently than what was commonly accepted as required ways of doing things and yet he won several Natl Titles, and ended up winning more games than anyone else, EVER.
Not sure what exactly you are referring to, but ok. Division III is probably a little different, but ok.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but what happens downstream when parents stop letting their kids play football, when they see the horror stories like Junior Seau? I do think the concussions are going to have long-term effects for the talent pool of a many-billion-$ business. It may turn off some spectators too, at a time where there's a lot of other entertainment options.

That's interesting, thx for posting. There are some medical recommendations in there that might reduce some of those, too. But 28% occur in games, apparently, so there is the chance the new rules could cut down on that. I'll give you this - if it's not statistically sensible, I don't see the point in it, except for the PR stuff in (1) .
Yeah, I had a debate about this long ago with 46and2 on this board. People talk about making the helmets safe, but the real physiological barrier to that approach is the concussion is actually caused by the brain moving inside the head. Idk if there's a technological solution.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what exactly you are referring to, but ok. Division III is probably a little different, but ok.
Well, that is what most Div 1 peeps claim, he was only Div 3 so he could get away with it, but I don't buy that.

I'll look it up and see if I can't find something easy to read/digest that I can post.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but what happens downstream when parents stop letting their kids play football, when they see the horror stories like Junior Seau? I do think the concussions are going to have long-term effects for the talent pool of a many-billion-$ business. It may turn off some spectators too, at a time where there's a lot of other entertainment options.
There will be some, sure, but I think a lot of people, especially those in the poorer areas will chance it. You have the opportunity to make MILLIONs and given the number of football players in high school, college, NFL... you rarely hear of a Junior Seau or an Aaron Hernandez.
That's interesting, thx for posting. There are some medical recommendations in there that might reduce some of those, too. But 28% occur in games, apparently, so there is the chance the new rules could cut down on that. I'll give you this - if it's not statistically sensible, I don't see the point in it, except for the PR stuff in (1) .

Yeah, I had a debate about this long ago with 46and2 on this board. People talk about making the helmets safe, but the real physiological barrier to that approach is the concussion is actually caused by the brain moving inside the head. Idk if there's a technological solution.
Yeah, I don't know if technology can fix it, but I question how big of an issue it is. Seemed like it was low on peoples radar until that Concussion movie with Will Smith came out lol. Seems like a lot of it is PR related, but that's just how I feel. Sure, there have been some bad cases, but again, comparatively to the number of players total, it's still rare, at least to have serious, long-lasting effects.