• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Targeting

What are your thoughts on Targeting?

• Leave it as is

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Let them play

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Bring back leather helmets

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Maybe we should just go to 7 on 7

• 2 hand touch below the waist

• I love Mike Periera and replays

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Tuna Salad Sandwich

• Players should respect each others space and just fall down before being tackled

• I love soccer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bobby Boucher needs to give tackling lessons

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shit needs to be reviewed this off-season. Not because my teams sucks and gets called for it all the time via poor tackling, but for the sanctity of football and games of importance.

Where do you stand?

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shit needs to be reviewed this off-season. Not because my teams sucks and gets called for it all the time via poor tackling, but for the sanctity of football and games of importance.

Where do you stand?
Personally, I only have 2 issues with targeting calls... First its inconsistent calls throughout both leagues, second...the fact that targeting can be called because the runner ducks his head and causes a head to head collision with no fault by the defender making the tackle at all.

The real problem I currently have is all of this roughing the catcher, passer, runner, and whatever other roughing they can come up with just to throw a flag out there and feel special about their title. That shit needs to be nixed out.

Edit... if they want to use the hitting the neck or head area as roughing then the D-Line and O-Line should be getting flagged all day long.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we just need to accept it

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the available choices, the first. It does need refined a bit, though. Like OUGuy said, the offensive player can cause it, and get rewarded, and that's bullshit.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eject the player for a half, but not an entire game or the first half of the next week. Half the calls are virtually unavoidable unless you simply refrain from hitting someone. And last I checked, FB is a CONTACT sport.

Just stop turning it into 7 on 7.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Targeting rules should stay and all targeting calls need to be reviewed. Only change I would institute would be like the flagrant 1/flagrant 2.

Really bad hits - ejection
bad hits - 15 yards
two bad hits - ejection

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things need to happen, imo.

They need to start teaching actual proper tackling technique again. That would eliminate a lot of it. The point is to get the ball carrier to the ground. Not "blow him up" so you can watch yourself on SportsCenter (as cool as that might be).

Then, just go back to the old spearing rule. If the tackler leads with the crown of his helmet, it's a penalty. All of this "head and neck area" crap is bullshit. It's making it so it can be hard to know what a legal hit is anymore.

It's football. It's a violent sport and you can get hurt playing it. If a player doesn't know that going in, he figures it out on the first day in pads.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things need to happen, imo.

They need to start teaching actual proper tackling technique again. That would eliminate a lot of it. The point is to get the ball carrier to the ground. Not "blow him up" so you can watch yourself on SportsCenter (as cool as that might be).

Then, just go back to the old spearing rule. If the tackler leads with the crown of his helmet, it's a penalty. All of this "head and neck area" crap is bullshit. It's making it so it can be hard to know what a legal hit is anymore.

It's football. It's a violent sport and you can get hurt playing it. If a player doesn't know that going in, he figures it out on the first day in pads.
Great points.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only comment, is to ACTUALLY correct wrong calls. We have replay. numerous times in slow mo or simply looking at it again, it's been proven that it wasn't targeting, and the call SHOULD be reversed, but it isn't. It's almost as if they say, well, we don't want to embarrass the ref who got it wrong........ There have been a ton of wrong targeting calls, that affect the game big time with key players being thrown out.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that targeting, at the least, should be applied to offensive players as well. Every targeting call (to my knowledge) has been levied on defenders, regardless of whether the offensive player ducked into the contact or not.
Replay can show that the defender began the tackle at the ball carriers chest level, but the offensive player lowered his head, causing the illegal helmet contact.
Id bet half the calls would be accessed on the offense.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that targeting, at the least, should be applied to offensive players as well. Every targeting call (to my knowledge) has been levied on defenders, regardless of whether the offensive player ducked into the contact or not.
Replay can show that the defender began the tackle at the ball carriers chest level, but the offensive player lowered his head, causing the illegal helmet contact.
Id bet half the calls would be accessed on the offense.
I remember seeing an offsetting call one game, where they got the offensive player, too.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember seeing an offsetting call one game, where they got the offensive player, too.
Can personal foul/targeting calls even be offset? They require player ejection because the foul is so egregious.
Weird.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can personal foul/targeting calls even be offset? They require player ejection because the foul is so egregious.
Weird.
I wish I remembered it better, and maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

I believe the receiver lowered his head, helmets hit each other, they reviewed it, didn't view either as rejection worthy, and offset penalties.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shit reminds me in 2009 when Suh got called for roughing the passer against, I believe Baylor..... THE QB HAD THE BALL. It was a sack, but he apparently sacked the QB so hard, he got a roughing the passer. Like WTF!

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shit reminds me in 2009 when Suh got called for roughing the passer against Baylor..... THE QB HAD THE BALL. It was a sack, but he apparently sacked the QB so hard, he got a roughing the passer. Like WTF!
It was Baylor.

The QB was planning nonconsensual sex, so he was defenseless.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shit reminds me in 2009 when Suh got called for roughing the passer against, I believe Baylor..... THE QB HAD THE BALL. It was a sack, but he apparently sacked the QB so hard, he got a roughing the passer. Like WTF!
That followed him into the pros. He got roughing the lasser for pushing Cutler down. That was it, 2 hand push.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Targeting rules should stay and all targeting calls need to be reviewed. Only change I would institute would be like the flagrant 1/flagrant 2.

Really bad hits - ejection
bad hits - 15 yards
two bad hits - ejection

I agree, just treat it like an unsportsmanlike penalty. 15 yards and an ejection after the second one. This will make it easier for the referees to call it, because it won’t lead to a penalty imposed into the next game. And keep it on the field, no need to call for a review from the press box if it’s just a unsportsmanlike penalty.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really need to get rid of the ejection portion of targeting.. Penn State (yes it was by the definition targeting) but he was just going full speed and deserved a flag for sure but not an ejection