• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Talk about your shades of Irony

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in the 2012 draft, there were Skins fans saying that trading up to grab Griffin would likely be a mistake. Anyone who showed doubt or said they expected it to fail was labeled a hater at minimum. And after his 2012 rookie year any one that doubted his greatness was branded much worse than a hater.

Fast forward to the middle of 2014, most of the die hard RG3 fans have given up on him. Some are calling for the team to draft Jamies Winston. And most of us that were branded hater, moron, or idiot for doubting the greatness to come are the ones who are now saying as bad as he has played, he should be given the rest of this lost season to figure out if he can become more than an option QB.

Just figured I should point out the irony.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in the don't draft him crew and I would be fine with sitting him now. I do not think it is fair to the other guys playing to play someone that is struggling so much. I think Gruden owes it to the team to put the guy he thinks is best on the field.

I give the Shanahan's credit for getting the best there was to get out of Griffin in 2012 and don't ever expect to see that guy again. He isn't as fast now and he is much more reluctant to run the ball.

You have to wonder who's decision it was to draft Griffin. Many asked when Shanahan drafted Cousins in the same draft why draft another QB. My thinking at the time was that if Griffin who was an option QB failed they would have someone to fall back on. Part of me wonders now if Griffin was more of Snyder's idea and as insurance against him not working out Shanahan drafted Cousins.

Maybe Griffin can make it work somewhere but if he does I don't think it will be in Washington.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in the 2012 draft, there were Skins fans saying that trading up to grab Griffin would likely be a mistake. Anyone who showed doubt or said they expected it to fail was labeled a hater at minimum. And after his 2012 rookie year any one that doubted his greatness was branded much worse than a hater.

Fast forward to the middle of 2014, most of the die hard RG3 fans have given up on him. Some are calling for the team to draft Jamies Winston. And most of us that were branded hater, moron, or idiot for doubting the greatness to come are the ones who are now saying as bad as he has played, he should be given the rest of this lost season to figure out if he can become more than an option QB.

Just figured I should point out the irony.

While there is truth in a lot of your post I highly doubt that the bolded part above is accurate. Just because you & a few others here have that take does not mean that this reflects the thoughts of most Redskins fans who feel this way. I can almost guarantee that if I took a poll of fans (and non-fans) who previously doubted RG3 a large majority of them would like to see him on the bench for the remainder of the season (especially if he plays poorly against the Colts). Personally - I am pretty much at the pt of not caring one way or the other.

Also - I can also pretty much guarantee that most Redskins fans (& fans of most NFL teams) do not want to see their team draft Winston with a high pick. I realize that you didn't state that but just clarifying what I believe to be the case for most fans of this team. My hope is that the team & fans just move on & try as much as possible to learn from past mistakes (may be asking a lot).

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree SoCal. Let's all just move on. I don't know much about Disney history, but I don't think I have seen anyone here labeled as "morons" or "idiots" for having their thoughts on RG one way or another. Furthermore, I seriously doubt anyone was hemming and hawing about RG being a bust waiting to happen following the 1st year.

It was a fluke, RG is likely not going to be the answer here, giving him the rest of the year to potentially seal his fate or show something is fine with me if that is what the coaches and administration choose to do. Honestly that might be what it takes to convince Snyder that we need to cut our losses and move on. We aren't making the playoffs, McCoy and Cousins is not the answer long term, so what do we have to lose.

I can understand why the rest of the players and the locker room would not be for that. They want to win... I get that. I think most of us want us to win too. But ultimately their job is to go out there and do the best they can with the QB the COACHES choose to play.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I am not one that thinks we absolutely must draft Winston. I am with most if you in that we need to build the team up on the lines and defense before we make an ultra risky move like that. But at some the QB position will have to be revisited again. If we build the team up the next couple of years via draft and FA to turn around and draft a QB high in say...2016 or 2017, then we are looking at 2018-2020ish before this team is ready to potentially be a SB team. You guys want to wait 4 more years to be competitive and another couple to be true contenders?? That's probably what we are looking at here.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was against trading up for a franchise qb

that goes against 2 principals of mine , valuing draft picks and building the LOS

but we made the trade so i have 2 choices . hope for its failure or support our guy

i chose support

and i am now sticking to another core value . give a draft pick 3 years

sometimes when some of you debate you do so in such a manner that forces a supporter or detractor to seem like they are unreasonable

i deal in facts , not rumors and sometimes the rumors are true but sometimes they are not, still i give everyone the benefit of the doubt until facts support otherwise

year one Rg3 looked great , last season he was coming back from injury , this year combined with last, i shouldnt see the same mental breakdowns . its year 3 and at this point i cant see us winning with Rg3 unless we have a huge turn around mentally because he cant game manage

soon we need to make the move to colt and see if he can be a bridge so far in 2 games he looks like he can be viable but lest give him a stretch of games to find out

Rg3 isnt going to change anyone's opinion in these last few games because he has way too far to go

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
quick question. i know this is back in the espn days but who was for giving up all those picks for rg3 at the time? i remember people wanting peyton manning and people not wanting manning. most thought we gave up too much for griffin, that was a pretty clear agreement. fast forward to during his rookie year and everyone loved him.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
quick question. i know this is back in the espn days but who was for giving up all those picks for rg3 at the time? i remember people wanting peyton manning and people not wanting manning. most thought we gave up too much for griffin, that was a pretty clear agreement. fast forward to during his rookie year and everyone loved him.

Martinez, if I remember correctly, most were for trading up, but were very surprised at what the cost ended up being. I think the majority of the sentiments at the time were "if that is what it cost, so be it". There were a couple of posters against trading up at all and a couple more against trading up for RG3.The vast majority were so desperate for a QB that they would have accepted anything.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't here at the time but to nobody's surprise I was all in for the trade up. You need a top QB in this league to contend year after year, that is obvious. After 2 decades of Jason Campbell etc. I was ready to pay whatever it took.

At the time I was much more in favor of Andrew Luck, that guy had great QB for 15 years written all over him. But that was never an option but had it been Luck would have clearly been worth the price we paid and then some. So there was nothing wrong with the strategy, we all knew it was a risk and it appears as if the risk backfired. But it was a risk worth taking. Settling for average QBs means settling for average results and I'm proud that my team dared to be great.

Those saying we should fix the OL etc first, while I agree I need to point out that it's pretty damn hard to find a franchise QB picking 13th. That does NOT mean I want to trade up for that knucklehead Winston. Besides he won't get past the Jets or Jags anyway.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
year one Rg3 looked great , last season he was coming back from injury , this year combined with last, i shouldnt see the same mental breakdowns . its year 3 and at this point i cant see us winning with Rg3 unless we have a huge turn around mentally because he cant game manage

Forget the mental breakdowns - where in the hell is the RG3 we saw in 2012? It is not simply a matter of a different system. In no way does he display the same explosiveness that he demonstrated in his rookie season. Not even close! Did the injury & other factors affect him that much? At best we have seen the RG3 of 2012 for a few plays this season. Is it simply a matter of having to wait for 2+ years of recovery?

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i thought we gave up too much for him at the time. but obviously i supported rg3 very hard in hoping he was our franchise qb.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget the mental breakdowns - where in the hell is the RG3 we saw in 2012? It is not simply a matter of a different system. In no way does he display the same explosiveness that he demonstrated in his rookie season. Not even close! Did the injury & other factors affect him that much? At best we have seen the RG3 of 2012 for a few plays this season. Is it simply a matter of having to wait for 2+ years of recovery?

SoCal, i think a couple of things happened. First, his injuries have taken a toll, both physically and mentally. I don't care what anyone else says, he just is not as fast or elusive as he was that rookie year. How many times have we seen him run down from behind by a DE or OLB? That never happened in 2012. He blew by those guys. Second, I think he is completely confused at this point and is afraid of pulling the trigger. His mind is just not seeing, or believing, what is actually there. Of course he knows when to throw it, he does it in practice every week. But he gets frozen in games. Its almost like he's afraid to make a mistake.

Could he work his way out of this? Potentially. But how long do we wait? I'm not sure we will ever see his explosiveness again. He's still fast, but usually not the fastest on the field anymore. I say we give him these 5 more games to try and work it out. If he shows improvement, we keep with him. If he is still making the same mistakes in game 16 that is has been making for the last 2 years, then we need to open it up to competition going into next year. Let the best man win, and play. We will have the same 3 QBs next year, I don't see any college talent worth risking a high pick on and FA really won't bring us anything better than we have. If this happens, I bet KC starts as our QB game 1 next year.