• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Swing thoughts that have worked for you

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad was class of '49 at SC and he loved him some O.J. We were huge fans of the Trojans growing up and I still am. You did not want to be within arms reach of my old man if SC los a football game back then.

That's cool, both my parents went to Fresno State, but it was all about the Juice, John Robinson, and the long line of talent at tailback at SC. My Dad was a charter member Raider fan, that's where I inherited that too, me and the Raiders born the same year.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's cool, both my parents went to Fresno State, but it was all about the Juice, John Robinson, and the long line of talent at tailback at SC. My Dad was a charter member Raider fan, that's where I inherited that too, me and the Raiders born the same year.

Same with me and the San Francisco Giants. I went to Fullerton.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same with me and the San Francisco Giants. I went to Fullerton.

Yeah, born in SoCal, but travelled the country as an oil company brat, wound up back in Sacto in '74, left there in '94 for a new life in coastal central FL, been pretty good to me, for the most part.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot all of my swing thoughts and now just wing it...the most important thing I do is concentrate on my lines...if they don't get crossed its pretty decent...

My weirdest swing thought when I was playing good was I tried to imagine someone was tugging my left belt loop back...my habit is I get crazy legs (why I can't drive the ball worth a shit) and get ahead of it. I had a stretch when I was playing where I had 20 competitive rounds without shooting over par...then that swing thought didn't work and I had to find a new one real fast. I played alot of golf with Patrick Sheehan who's a web.com guy now but was on the big boy tour back in the early 2000's and he had a different thought every day...we used to fuck around and try each others swing thought on the range, some pretty funny shots ensued

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bring the putter back slightly inside on its natural arc and then let it release. I get a much more solid feel and never push putts like I do when using your method.

Get a SeeMore...that's what those fuckers are for...if you can naturally release the putter you are the effing man...the ball just sticks to the green and never bounces

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy my dad knew when i was a kid played college golf at Ohio with Dow Finsterwald...he gave me my first lessons and continued thru college...he was about 5'9 and three hundred pounds...he would get me playing some of the best golf over the summer months when I'd come home from college and it was three stupid things..."hit down on it" and "shorten that fucking swing" and "you look like a monkey trying to fuck a football"...it was the dumbest stuff but he would tighten my swing up and get my posture right, tend to get slouched...I miss that guy, he died about ten years ago and he thought of me as his son...a great dude with alot of knowledge

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bring the putter back slightly inside on its natural arc and then let it release. I get a much more solid feel and never push putts like I do when using your method.

I completely agree with this. The putter is not meant to be taken "straight back/straight through." Its actually un-natural and requires a great deal of manipulation.

Most putter shafts sit at about 71 degrees (19 degrees of straight up and down). This dictates that you have to have an arc, and the putter face only needs to stay square to that arc.

If you take the putter back straight, then you also have to close and open the face during the putt.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy my dad knew when i was a kid played college golf at Ohio with Dow Finsterwald...he gave me my first lessons and continued thru college...he was about 5'9 and three hundred pounds...he would get me playing some of the best golf over the summer months when I'd come home from college and it was three stupid things..."hit down on it" and "shorten that fucking swing" and "you look like a monkey trying to fuck a football"...it was the dumbest stuff but he would tighten my swing up and get my posture right, tend to get slouched...I miss that guy, he died about ten years ago and he thought of me as his son...a great dude with alot of knowledge

That's funny!

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with this. The putter is not meant to be taken "straight back/straight through." Its actually un-natural and requires a great deal of manipulation.

Most putter shafts sit at about 71 degrees (19 degrees of straight up and down). This dictates that you have to have an arc, and the putter face only needs to stay square to that arc.

If you take the putter back straight, then you also have to close and open the face during the putt.

Yes. I struggled with that for years until I figured that out. Now I putt like a fiend! I never miss from 4 feet in because of that it has kept me at around the same level of play even though I am a lot older now and can't hit the ball as far as I used to.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot all of my swing thoughts and now just wing it...the most important thing I do is concentrate on my lines...if they don't get crossed its pretty decent...

My weirdest swing thought when I was playing good was I tried to imagine someone was tugging my left belt loop back...my habit is I get crazy legs (why I can't drive the ball worth a shit) and get ahead of it. I had a stretch when I was playing where I had 20 competitive rounds without shooting over par...then that swing thought didn't work and I had to find a new one real fast. I played alot of golf with Patrick Sheehan who's a web.com guy now but was on the big boy tour back in the early 2000's and he had a different thought every day...we used to fuck around and try each others swing thought on the range, some pretty funny shots ensued

Another simple one I heard from Jason Day is "hit the ball in the center of the club face". Sounds ridiculous but it cures a of of faults. Try to see that ball come off the club face, even though you can't, and that will keep your head still.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good one I used was imagining hitting the ball with the, you're end of the club...not the you're but the you're end....it forced me to get my arms in front of my body on the way down...with a full release you will hit it the straightest and furthest you'll ever hit it

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good one I used was imagining hitting the ball with the, you're end of the club...not the you're but the you're end....it forced me to get my arms in front of my body on the way down...with a full release you will hit it the straightest and furthest you'll ever hit it

I don't understand?

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to have a tendency to sway to the right on my back swing. Once I concentrated on keeping my upper body still with the head in the same position over the ball at first address, I started striking the ball more solidly and consistently

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to have a tendency to sway to the right on my back swing. Once I concentrated on keeping my upper body still with the head in the same position over the ball at first address, I started striking the ball more solidly and consistently

I still have that problem but use the same swing thought as you to combat it. This goddamned game takes too much focus for an old man.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually think the opposite. IMO - the head has to move a little in the backswing. A sway usually comes from your lower body (hips) moving laterally to the right (which is bad).
* Your weight needs to travel to the right side during your backswing;
* You do not want your hips/lower body to be responsible for transferring the weight, because that = a sway;
* The only thing left is your upper body.

You allow your head to travel slightly to the right while rotating your shoulders and keeping your hips laterally still. This creates a proper pivot and weight transfer.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the opposite. IMO - the head has to move a little in the backswing. A sway usually comes from your lower body (hips) moving laterally to the right (which is bad).
* You do not want your hips/lower body to be responsible for transferring the weight, because that = a sway;

You allow your head to travel slightly to the right while rotating your shoulders
and keeping your hips laterally still. This creates a proper pivot and weight transfer.

That happens naturally though so I think the thought of keeping your head still is still a good one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You allow your head to travel slightly to the right while rotating your shoulders and keeping your hips laterally still. This creates a proper pivot and weight transfer.

Yea...it's really impossible to have a true shoulder turn and your head not move at all...might lead to a reverse pivot.

My golf buddy sways...not the worse move in the world if you play a lot of golf...Lee Janzen played with a sway.

But, for us weekend guys it's hard to be a consistent ball striker...my buddy late in a rounds when you're a little tired, timing gets off and he can hit some terrible drives.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The head can move some...My instructor used to have me put a shaft stuck in the ground right outside of my right hip about half an inch...make a full back swing, even hit balls with the idea of not touching the shaft with my right hip...kind of forces you to turn around your spine.