• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Swing thoughts that have worked for you

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you rotate your left hand to the right around your grip, it forces you to rotate your hands and close the club head at impact making it square against the ball. Leaving the club face open allows you to push the ball to the right.

Here is a perfect video of what I am trying to tell you. Trust me, it works!!!!

Fix Golf Slice Fast Grip Lesson - YouTube

Excellent stuff!

I will surely try this out this week on the range. I was just confused on the earlier post because you said "left hand" twice. Wanted to make sure I had the correct notion for each hand. Video really drove it home for me.:suds:

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The very first thing you need to do is figure out whether it is a "push" or a "slice." These are two totally different things. It's easy to see the ball go right and automatically assume you have sliced it. Not necessarily true.

1) Does the ball start right, and then just continue on that same line? If so, this is a push. If this is the case, then it has 100% to do with swing path. Your face is not the issue. Or,

2) Does the ball start straight (or left) and curve right? If so, this is a slice. If this is the case, it has to do with clubface angle. Here I would be focusing on your grip and your hand action.

3) If it does both - go see a pro quickly :)

Occasionally I push the ball, but I'm talking about a true slice with the driver. I have a slight fade with my other clubs at times but with the driver its a f-n banana slice. For a while I just left the club in my bag and went 3wood, but I'd like to straighten it out and actually be able to use it. Giving up 20-30 yards isn't a ton of fun.

Gonna give it a go with that grip video posted earlier.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Often a slice has more to do with your hands lagging behind your hips and your wrists not turning over in time than it does with the actual grip. You don't want to try and fix your slice with changing your grip. You want to fix the timing issue that is causing the slice, not throwing a band-aid on it. If your hips get out in front of your hands, you tend to drag the club head behind. Your hands are ahead of the club head causing it to open up. It is a timing issue. The best advice i have for this is to go to the driving range, start swinging around 50% until your body is working in sync. Then start to swing hard, 60%, 70% 80% and then stop at 90%. When you start trying to swing at 100%, things get out of sync just a little bit much easier and the club head opening 1 degree is the difference between fairway and rough or the green and a bunker.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 30 feet out, even a once per week player should be able to get within 5 or 6 feet using this method, imo. The only thing you are asked to do is hit a landing area only a few feet or so in front of you, and then judge the right ratio. Makes it very simple.

With that much green, using basically...3 clubs...8i, 9i, PW...I'm about that or better uphill or level green...I struggle more downhill even with that much green to work with...6' to 10'+ often times especially if there is a tier to deal with. I spent about 3 hrs past week working on down hill 15' to 30' of green to roll...and anywhere from 3' to 10' to reach the green.

It is simple, but my point was the practice time needed to execute with that many clubs under 1 and done pressure is more than most guys at my level are doing.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Occasionally I push the ball, but I'm talking about a true slice with the driver. I have a slight fade with my other clubs at times but with the driver its a f-n banana slice. For a while I just left the club in my bag and went 3wood, but I'd like to straighten it out and actually be able to use it. Giving up 20-30 yards isn't a ton of fun.

Gonna give it a go with that grip video posted earlier.

A little follow up on this.

I went to the range a few times and the course once since fiddling with my driver grip. Demonstrable improvement in accuracy and fairways hit. So thats good.

However, I now am pulling the ball with every other club in the bag. Hitting a big draw with larger irons and a pretty hard slice with the 3wood and hybrid.

I attribute this to my recent focus on my driver, which I was trying to straighten out. I'm still using my normal grip with the other clubs. I am fairly certain my swing path got jacked up. I think I'm pulling the club back and towards my body too much on the back swing, forcing the path to be inside/out and the club face to be closed on contact.

Typical. Once you figure something out, other things get out of whack. :gaah:

Welp, back to the range to straighten this mess out.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Faldo's A Swing for Life changed my golf game completely.

that book and The Golden Bear's advice on fairways and greens is all I needed

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little follow up on this.

I went to the range a few times and the course once since fiddling with my driver grip. Demonstrable improvement in accuracy and fairways hit. So thats good.

However, I now am pulling the ball with every other club in the bag. Hitting a big draw with larger irons and a pretty hard slice with the 3wood and hybrid.

I attribute this to my recent focus on my driver, which I was trying to straighten out. I'm still using my normal grip with the other clubs. I am fairly certain my swing path got jacked up. I think I'm pulling the club back and towards my body too much on the back swing, forcing the path to be inside/out and the club face to be closed on contact.

Typical. Once you figure something out, other things get out of whack. :gaah:

Welp, back to the range to straighten this mess out.

That's the game of golf.

The good thing is you have some idea of what the problem could be.

One thing I've kept in my memory from my last set of lessons a few yr ago...he said when your swing goes off kilter and you can't correct it...find an area at the range where you can hit 30 yd pitch shots and ideally retrieve them...preferably with a SW (something with enough loft to require a bit of wristcock to carry 30 yds).

The idea is this is really a mini golf swing and his theory was whatever flaw you have will surface in this short swing as well. (I've found it to be true). When you're consistently hitting these shots crisp and on line, move back the full swing.

The swing is slow enough that we should be able to find out what's wrong at impact. What the better players do so much better than the rest of us is they arrive at impact with their weight and club in a good position.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read probably too many books on the golf swing...good that it worked for you. Nicklaus designed a course here a few yrs ago and he played it as part of the grand opening...maybe a 100 or so people followed him as he played...he was miked up and talked about the course, shots as he played and I learned a few things that he talked about.

He said unless his normal fade ball flight wouldn't take the ball to the hole...middle of the green was his play...said he didn't shoot at many left pins.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the game of golf.

The good thing is you have some idea of what the problem could be.

One thing I've kept in my memory from my last set of lessons a few yr ago...he said when your swing goes off kilter and you can't correct it...find an area at the range where you can hit 30 yd pitch shots and ideally retrieve them...preferably with a SW (something with enough loft to require a bit of wristcock to carry 30 yds).

The idea is this is really a mini golf swing and his theory was whatever flaw you have will surface in this short swing as well. (I've found it to be true). When you're consistently hitting these shots crisp and on line, move back the full swing.

The swing is slow enough that we should be able to find out what's wrong at impact. What the better players do so much better than the rest of us is they arrive at impact with their weight and club in a good position.

Always.

I meant to say I was hitting a hard hook, not slice in the previous post, but you get the idea.

I'll probably take the wedge practice into consideration when I get to the range.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive tried something new recently after watching one of the turneys.. i think to much on the drive and normally tighten up at the last moment.. so i repeat "mashed potatos" three times on the third time i normally hit the ball square.. it relaxes me , makes me grin and lossens up the swing.. im thankfull for that idiot in the gallary ..

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relax and Concentrate

Every time I have tried to study my swing and taken it to the course has proven DISASTEROUS for me. If I am trying something new I only go to the range and take it very incrementally, baby steps man, baby steps. Then when I get to the course I warmup with those thoughts, but when I get on the tee box, I try to wipe all that out of my mind, RELAX and CONCENTRATE, which is a very uncommon combination, but it works for me, keeping in mind I am shooting in the 80's.

I have been concentrating on form this year, when I practice particularly. I also have been incorporating the waggle, as my wrists typically are way too tight, resulting in a straight pull shot left. When I hit it just right, my drive is right down the middle about 250, I do my best to remember that wrist feeling, which is where I have most success, everything else needs to be instinctive, or I am just frustrating myself.

I am a big fan of the Arnold Palmer promotion, "Swing your swing".

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I have tried to study my swing and taken it to the course has proven DISASTEROUS for me. If I am trying something new I only go to the range and take it very incrementally, baby steps man, baby steps. Then when I get to the course I warmup with those thoughts, but when I get on the tee box, I try to wipe all that out of my mind, RELAX and CONCENTRATE, which is a very uncommon combination, but it works for me, keeping in mind I am shooting in the 80's.

I have been concentrating on form this year, when I practice particularly. I also have been incorporating the waggle, as my wrists typically are way too tight, resulting in a straight pull shot left. When I hit it just right, my drive is right down the middle about 250, I do my best to remember that wrist feeling, which is where I have most success, everything else needs to be instinctive, or I am just frustrating myself.

Lots of guys cannot shoot in the 80s so you are doing something right. One key swing thought: Swing from the inside. That cures a ton of ills.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of guys cannot shoot in the 80s so you are doing something right. One key swing thought: Swing from the inside. That cures a ton of ills.

Definitely, that is certainly one of my practice thoughts, trying to incorporate it into my play.

Thanks TT.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always.

I meant to say I was hitting a hard hook, not slice in the previous post, but you get the idea.

I'll probably take the wedge practice into consideration when I get to the range.

Oh...same thing applies...an over the top left to left ball that I couldn't rid is what drove me to the lessons to begin with. Still to this day I fight the left side when things go bad.

The practice wedge works for me...I would almost bet if the problem still exists when you get to the range, you would be missing your target left on the short shots too...not hooking (hopefully) but a consistent miss left nonetheless.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...same thing applies...an over the top left to left ball that I couldn't rid is what drove me to the lessons to begin with. Still to this day I fight the left side when things go bad.

The practice wedge works for me...I would almost bet if the problem still exists when you get to the range, you would be missing your target left on the short shots too...not hooking (hopefully) but a consistent miss left nonetheless.

Me too.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ooooh...that straight pull left can be disastrous...been there, done that.

You know your swing better than us, so the wrist action I'm sure is part of it, but make sure your weight is posted up on your lead leg at impact...really hard to go left then unless you flip it with the hands.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ooooh...that straight pull left can be disastrous...been there, done that.

You know your swing better than us, so the wrist action I'm sure is part of it, but make sure your weight is posted up on your lead leg at impact...really hard to go left then unless you flip it with the hands.

Funny, not really, but it started about a year and half ago, went on a diet and lost about 25 lbs., lost some length on my driver and must have been overswinging to compensate, throwing my timing off, it's been a battle, but I am slowly adjusting. Last year was rough for me professionally, so that didn't help either, I'm in a better place mentally now, still looking to get some more length on my driver and long irons though.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, not really, but it started about a year and half ago, went on a diet and lost about 25 lbs., lost some length on my driver and must have been overswinging to compensate, throwing my timing off, it's been a battle, but I am slowly adjusting. Last year was rough for me professionally, so that didn't help either, I'm in a better place mentally now, still looking to get some more length on my driver and long irons though.

Did you go to SC or are you just a fan?

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you go to SC or are you just a fan?

No, went to Sac State, but the parents started me out with OJ at SC, we really loved him back then

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, went to Sac State, but the parents started me out with OJ at SC, we rally loved him back then

My dad was class of '49 at SC and he loved him some O.J. We were huge fans of the Trojans growing up and I still am. You did not want to be within arms reach of my old man if SC los a football game back then.