• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens (2015)

SomeGuy

Christian Conservative
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was good and worth losing sleep over. lots of silly things but in a nerdy way thats not a big deal. More important to see it with good sound than 3d
Never seen an Imax movie before and wasn't impressed really. The sound was fantastic though. My seats were about 1/2 up maybe 1/3. Motion blur was big for me. Next time, I will see a 2D version of it so my eyes aren't bugging out.

SomeGuy

Christian Conservative
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, are we cool with Han's son killing him? ?
I thought yeah, he is going to get it. The the tears? I was like huh? Then the sun was gone I then I was like, uh oh. Okay with it. Thought it was going to be Chewie really. Peter Mayhew doesn't look like he can stand upright anymore so there is no way he was in the costume for the running shots in that movie.

How about those of you convinced Finn was a Jedi? Upset he isn't?
Didn't think he was a Jedi, loved his role though

Pissed at what we got of Luke in this one?
Disappointed yes but I remember from Phantom Menace they were trying to answer a lot of questions. I like they left some open for the next movie.

SomeGuy

Christian Conservative
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also now understand why Luke wasn't in anything promo related to the movie (posters, trailers, merchandise [although there was a lot that I haven't seen yet], etc)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main issue I have with the movie is that they really made two movies and crammed them together. As such, they rushed through important character building with Rey. Rey in general seems like a huge problem - 90%+ of the theater I was in was white and male and were there because they grew up with Luke and Han and slave Leia. Next gen is growing up with interracial relationship that the movie was scared to take all of the way. Rey being on a desert planet as a white person in general is bizarre so they had an easy write off if they were going for realism. They clearly just wanted a desert planet. Rey because an invincible sword princess, master of the force, survival expert, expert pilot and expert computer whiz? GTFO. Why do we need Luke? What are her flaws? Bad social skills? Da fuq? Nobody buying her action figure.

I think they should've tried harder to make this movie more unique. It felt like a Star Wars movie and it looked and sounded incredible. Pretty much every scene with Finn and Han was incredible though like everyone else was probably thinking - why was Finn using a Lightsaber and not something he'd be more familiar with? The Finn Lightsaber/Stormtrooper battle was cool. Darth Emo worked...good villain but I feel like they wanted to make him weak which is cool. Just make the big threat something other than Death Star blowing up again. A weapon absorbing a sun and destroying planets seems a bit silly/redundant, too. Why not just harness the power of the sun because everything around it is going to die anyways?

Its Star Wars for the next generation but its not going to resonate like Star Wars. Itll be the biggest movie ever financially...until the next big thing comes out. I think its merchandise will flop, though, outside of the robot that looks like a soccer ball and Finn.

SomeGuy

Christian Conservative
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The audience for my show was probably 40% women. I was quite surprised by that. Had a group of 3 women sit right in front of us. A woman who was there all by herself next to me. She even had a toy Yoda from the original Episode IV with her. Doubt that was typical of most theaters though.

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked the movie, but ill have to see it again to really get a feel for it

right now id say it fits somewhere like 3rd out of the 7 movies so far, 3rd or 4th

as someone stated above, i thought it was a little silly that Finn was able to last that long with a lightsaber vs Ren without any training or anything, but i can live with that because.....

as Snoke mentioned, Ren still has training himself left. Im glad they didnt show off any force lightning or anything like that yet. I'd like to think Ren is about as powerful as maybe Anakin was inbetween AOTC and revenge of sith. But they were a little inconsistent with his power. at times he looks unbelievably badass with the force freezing, force pushing, force choking of brain or whatever it was, but then he isn't that very skilled with his own lightsaber it seems. But fits with story as Rey mentions Ren is afraid that he isn't nearly as powerful as Vader was......yet

Im all for a kickass lightsaber battle though, so if that meant they scripted Finn to be able to last a little longer than should have thats fine by me in the end.

SomeGuy

Christian Conservative
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as someone stated above, i thought it was a little silly that Finn was able to last that long with a lightsaber vs Ren without any training or anything, but i can live with that because.....

as Snoke mentioned, Ren still has training himself left. .
Forgot that, very good point

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main issue I have with the movie is that they really made two movies and crammed them together. As such, they rushed through important character building with Rey. Rey in general seems like a huge problem - 90%+ of the theater I was in was white and male and were there because they grew up with Luke and Han and slave Leia. Next gen is growing up with interracial relationship that the movie was scared to take all of the way. Rey being on a desert planet as a white person in general is bizarre so they had an easy write off if they were going for realism. They clearly just wanted a desert planet. Rey because an invincible sword princess, master of the force, survival expert, expert pilot and expert computer whiz? GTFO. Why do we need Luke? What are her flaws? Bad social skills? Da fuq? Nobody buying her action figure.

I think they should've tried harder to make this movie more unique. It felt like a Star Wars movie and it looked and sounded incredible. Pretty much every scene with Finn and Han was incredible though like everyone else was probably thinking - why was Finn using a Lightsaber and not something he'd be more familiar with? The Finn Lightsaber/Stormtrooper battle was cool. Darth Emo worked...good villain but I feel like they wanted to make him weak which is cool. Just make the big threat something other than Death Star blowing up again. A weapon absorbing a sun and destroying planets seems a bit silly/redundant, too. Why not just harness the power of the sun because everything around it is going to die anyways?

Its Star Wars for the next generation but its not going to resonate like Star Wars. Itll be the biggest movie ever financially...until the next big thing comes out. I think its merchandise will flop, though, outside of the robot that looks like a soccer ball and Finn.

Couldn't agree more with those 2 points. They REALLY could have done this movie without the StarKiller base boring ass bullshit and focused that time on character building. And seriously, she fucken knew how to do EVERYTHING! Some of it I was like "wtf? There anything she can't do?" Who knew that Jakku residents were highly skilled and intelligent individuals. I want a Jakku degree! Anyways, hope the second movie isn't a repeat of The Empire Strikes Back and is more original.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll probably wait a few weeks for the crowds to diminish before I see it.

Trivia, NOT a spoiler----- I heard that filming at Britain's Pinewood studios took place at the same time as James Bond Spectre... so apparently actor Daniel Craig (James Bond) played a cameo as a Stormtrooper! Supposedly he has a dialog line: “I’ll tighten those restraints, scavenger scum.”

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snoke is Darth Plaguis. Sidious killed him during episode 3 however as he said, he could cheat death and by the looks of him it seems he has risen from the dead, zombie like which he looked.

My complaint is if Ren couldn't easily dispose of Finn and Rey hem the fuck was he going to take out Luke?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more with those 2 points. They REALLY could have done this movie without the StarKiller base boring ass bullshit and focused that time on character building. And seriously, she fucken knew how to do EVERYTHING! Some of it I was like "wtf? There anything she can't do?" Who knew that Jakku residents were highly skilled and intelligent individuals. I want a Jakku degree! Anyways, hope the second movie isn't a repeat of The Empire Strikes Back and is more original.
I really do think her character was a weak part of the movie.

The other thing I cant get over is that its basically a weaker version of the Star Trek reboot.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen it twice now. It's great!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I will say: Harrison Ford really stole every scene he was in. He was definitely Mr Big Deal when it came to this movie.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I will say: Harrison Ford really stole every scene he was in. He was definitely Mr Big Deal when it came to this movie.

Harrison Ford is old. That was my take away from his scenes.

JJ is a master at rehashing nostalgia.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, are we cool with Han's son killing him?

I heard Lucas wanted him to live. His idea was that Han would get lost from the rest of the group. Then just the planet was about to blow he'd find a fridge to hide in. When the planet blew up the fridge would get launched into space and get picked up by the Millennium Falcon.

potzer25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniel Craig would know all about restraints, amirite?!

potzer25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie is partly as good as it is precisely because they went away from whatever fiasco Lucas had in mind...

Before handing over Lucasfilm and the future of his galactic saga to The Walt Disney Co. for $4 billion in 2012, Lucas came up with story treatments for a new trilogy. Those materials, to put it bluntly, were discarded.

“They decided they didn’t want to use those stories, they decided they were gonna go do their own thing,” Lucas says in a new interview with CBS This Morning. “They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway. But at the same time, I said if I get in there I’m just going to cause trouble. Because they’re not going to do what I want them to do. And I don’t have the control to do that anymore. All I would do is muck everything up. So I said, ‘Okay, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.’”

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and look at Han's reaction to Rey telling him her name combined with the fact that they cut off the conversation between Han and the CGI/glasses lady right when she asks who Rey is combined with CGI/glasses lady going down to Rey right when she's drawn to Luke's light sabre, and I think there's a lot there.

The reaction Rey has when offering Luke the light sabre is what makes me think it's almost a lock that she's his kid. Which means she probably has a twin out there that we'll find out about in upcoming films. It makes sense that Kylo would be significantly weaker in the force than Luke's offspring, right?

In that moment when Rey and Kylo lock light sabres, she has a powerful force vision where she becomes aware of her relationships with Leia, Luke, Han, and by default Kylo. She could have easily killed Kylo, but she ends up just slashing his face. There has to be something to that, right?

The reaction Rey had with Leia (who she had never met before, remember), was more like an aunt/niece hug to me. Rey obviously has force visions...powefully so. And Luke is an incredibly powerful Jedi now that he's had all of these years of solitude to gain power. His visions are probably at least as strong as Palpatine's were.

And the fact that Leia sent Rey to Luke when they figured out the map made it kind of a no-brainer that she was sending daughter to father.

Kasdan and Abrams did a great job in what they implied rather than explicitly said, IMO.

I don't care how cynical anybody is out there, but Abrams is a pretty good story teller, and Kasdan wrote Empire, which was spectacular.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was fine with Rey's acceleration into her force abilities.

From the get go, Kasdan and Abrams made it clear that Rey was using the force A LOT by instinct. Just like Luke (and even Anakin), she was way beyond the age of padawan, but was still powerful enough in the force to resist Kylo Ren who was trained by Luke himself.

She's an extremely powerful wielder of the force even without any proper training is what I take away form it.

How did she hear BB-8 even though he was a football field away and over a dune of sand? The force. How was she so great with piloting and engineering even though she had flown and engineered nothing in her time on Jakku? The force. She had a crazy force vision just touching a lighsabre for fuck's sake.

I love that it took the CGI candyland nightmare of horse shit that was eps 1-3, and pretended they didn't exist.

Last edited: