• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Rangers vs. Penguins

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only person who thinks Malkin is playing hurt?

As for Crosby, I understand the Rangers are a very good hockey team, but great players play their best in the biggest games. Hopefully Sid will have a big game tonight.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only person who thinks Malkin is playing hurt?

As for Crosby, I understand the Rangers are a very good hockey team, but great players play their best in the biggest games. Hopefully Sid will have a big game tonight.

It's well documented that Malkin is playing hurt. I think Comeau might be, too.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's well documented that Malkin is playing hurt. I think Comeau might be, too.

Comeau? You mean the guy the Isles hoped somebody would claim off waivers so they didn't have to pay him 2.5M per year anymore. By the way thank you Calgary. If the Penguins are depending on Blake Comeau to be a big reason why they beat the Rangers I wish them the best of luck. The bottom line is the Penguins lack depth on the wings. The Perron trade looks worse by the game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comeau? You mean the guy the Isles hoped somebody would claim off waivers so they didn't have to pay him 2.5M per year anymore. By the way thank you Calgary. If the Penguins are depending on Blake Comeau to be a big reason why they beat the Rangers I wish them the best of luck. The bottom line is the Penguins lack depth on the wings. The Perron trade looks worse by the game.

Comeau's mostly on the third or fourth line, but it's just an example of the Pens' situation. Four defensemen out, two forwards playing hurt, and everyone else not named Crosby, Hornqvist, or Sutter in a massive slump. The fact that they're hanging in with the Rangers right now is either really impressive of Fleury, or a major indictment of the Rangers as a team.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comeau's mostly on the third or fourth line, but it's just an example of the Pens' situation. Four defensemen out, two forwards playing hurt, and everyone else not named Crosby, Hornqvist, or Sutter in a massive slump. The fact that they're hanging in with the Rangers right now is either really impressive of Fleury, or a major indictment of the Rangers as a team.

I think the D has played reasonably well considering they're without 3 very important players. Fleury has to stand on his head in order for the Pens to have a chance. That's just the way it is. Crosby definitely needs some help. The problem is the Rangers are loaded on the backend & have Lundqvist in goal. I still think firing Shero was a mistake. Rutherford hasn't done anything to make me change my mind either. Why would any GM call Edmonton looking for a forward not named Eberle?

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't really have a problem with the Perron trade. At the point Crosby and Malkin are in their careers, a mid 1st round draft pick won't really be giving them any help in the short term future. What they reall needed was for Shero to have stocked the minors with wings like 3 or 4 seasons ago, but that ship has sailed.

Of course, I'm sure Rutherford was expecting more from Perron, but he's always been a streaky goal scorer going all the way back to his time in St. Louis. I also expect a training camp and a full season in the top six will do wonders for him. It did for James Neal when he came over from Dallas. He was horrible in his first stint with the Pens, but turned it on in his second season with the team.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really have a problem with the Perron trade. At the point Crosby and Malkin are in their careers, a mid 1st round draft pick won't really be giving them any help in the short term future. What they reall needed was for Shero to have stocked the minors with wings like 3 or 4 seasons ago, but that ship has sailed.

Of course, I'm sure Rutherford was expecting more from Perron, but he's always been a streaky goal scorer going all the way back to his time in St. Louis. I also expect a training camp and a full season in the top six will do wonders for him. It did for James Neal when he came over from Dallas. He was horrible in his first stint with the Pens, but turned it on in his second season with the team.

I just think they could have done better than Perron for their 1st round pick. He's got a big contract & a history of concussions.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think they could have done better than Perron for their 1st round pick. He's got a big contract & a history of concussions.

I wouldn't disagree with Rutherford maybe should have looked elsewhere. Perron's deal isn't that bad, though. He has one more year at a 3.8 million cap hit. For comparisons sake, that's the same as Kunitz. If he produces next season, seeing how he's just 26, maybe Perron can turn that into a new contract, either in Pittsburgh, or elsewhere.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to know why the media gives Crosby a pass. He's got 3 goals in his last 20 playoff games. It's time for Crosby to step up.

Not really fair to bring up last postseason. He basically won game 2 himself, and his line is the only productive one, especially with Geno functioning at about 70% tops.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perron has been invisible for over a month now, but for what the guy brings in potential, the move was worth it. And yeah, $3.8M for a top 6 winger isn't bad at all. Concussions isn't helpful, but if we're honest, most NHL guys have a history, whether it's public or not.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't disagree with Rutherford maybe should have looked elsewhere. Perron's deal isn't that bad, though. He has one more year at a 3.8 million cap hit. For comparisons sake, that's the same as Kunitz. If he produces next season, seeing how he's just 26, maybe Perron can turn that into a new contract, either in Pittsburgh, or elsewhere.

Kunitz has taken two team friendly contracts from the Pens. He could have gotten more elsewhere. It's not a fair comparison. Rutherford should have given San Jose a call. Maybe one of Marleau or Thornton would have waived their no trade clauses. All I'm saying is their had to be other options than Perron. Shero was able to get Iginla without having to give up much. Rutherford should have been able to do something similar.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Penguins think their chippy play will get them somewhere in this series. Boy do I have news for them. These are the Rangers, not the Flyers. They're too smart and versatile to be thrown off their game. They adjust to any style the opponent tries. If anything, Crosby has foolishly thrown himself off his own game by concentrating too much on his typical dirty play instead of his talent and that makes it easier for the Rangers to neutralize him and Malkin.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kunitz has taken two team friendly contracts from the Pens. He could have gotten more elsewhere. It's not a fair comparison. Rutherford should have given San Jose a call. Maybe one of Marleau or Thornton would have waived their no trade clauses. All I'm saying is their had to be other options than Perron. Shero was able to get Iginla without having to give up much. Rutherford should have been able to do something similar.

We can debate whether or not it's a fair comparison, but the real point I was making is that Perron's contract is not a problem for Pittsburgh. If anything it was a factor in Rutherford going after him because his hit is relatively small for top six.

As for the Pens going after the Sharks roster... JR made the Perron trade on January 2nd. I doubt the Sharks were looking to move either of Marleau or Thornton at that time because SJ was still jockeying for a playoff spot.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Marleau is married to a San Jose local girl and Thornton won't waive his NTC as he's in a power struggle with Doug Wilson. Those two guys are locked into the Sharks for the foreseeable future, in my opinion.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good first period, but the Pens need to keep the foot on the gas pedal, or this productive period could go to waste.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the derailment begins...

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens did a good job of pressuring the point man to keep the Rangers from setting up their PP. No SOG.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perron was can-opened and the turkey is back on the table.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brassard...merde.