• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spurs can't beat the good teams

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to defend this thread. I don't see this thread (at least the original post, I haven't read every page of it) as a facepalm at all.

The original post was all fact, no opinion inserted. The fact that the Spurs started out 1-10 against the top teams in the league is a fact that remains.

The fact that the Spurs dominated much of the postseason the way they did, despite the way they played against some of the better teams in the regular season stands as a testament to them, not as a testament against someone who pointed out a factual stat.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to defend this thread. I don't see this thread (at least the original post, I haven't read every page of it) as a facepalm at all.

The original post was all fact, no opinion inserted. The fact that the Spurs started out 1-10 against the top teams in the league is a fact that remains.

The fact that the Spurs dominated much of the postseason the way they did, despite the way they played against some of the better teams in the regular season stands as a testament to them, not as a testament against someone who pointed out a factual stat.

:L

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

?

I just think that at the time this thread was created... the fact that the Spurs were 1-10 (or whatever it was) against the top NBA teams was a relevant fair point. No reason for that not to be a legitimate discussion.

Its easy to look back months later after the Spurs won the championship and make fun of it, but that doesn't take away from the validity of the discussion at the time.

As far as interpreting that stat... anyone who saw that as a sign that the Spurs would be in trouble come playoffs was clearly wrong. Those who saw through the stat and weren't worried by it have been validated.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?

I just think that at the time this thread was created... the fact that the Spurs were 1-10 (or whatever it was) against the top NBA teams was a relevant fair point. No reason for that not to be a legitimate discussion.

Its easy to look back months later after the Spurs won the championship and make fun of it, but that doesn't take away from the validity of the discussion at the time.

As far as interpreting that stat... anyone who saw that as a sign that the Spurs would be in trouble come playoffs was clearly wrong. Those who saw through the stat and weren't worried by it have been validated.

:lol: Just messin' with ya on the :L. The problem with this thread (as was pointed out in the thread) is that the OP didn't take into consideration the injuries that the Spurs had suffered at the time. Once they had everyone healthy, the began pretty well dominating even the good teams. For example, the Heat blowing the Spurs out in their 1st meeting was mentioned. But the 2nd meeting, in which the Spurs blew the Heat out, hadn't been played yet.

If memory serves, this tread was started even before the All-Star break and was trying to act like there was a season long trend or something.

There are very few valid discussions about a topic like this, that early in the season. Especially when the team in question was dealing with a bunch of injuries.

The Lakers beat the Clippers by 13 points in the 1st game of the season. I guess I should have started a thread saying that the Lakers were better than the Clippers. After all, it was valid discussion at the time.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once the Spurs got healthy around the all-star break, they annihilated good teams.

They flat out owned anyone with 50+ wins the entire second half of the season.
Heck, two of their "Losses" were games where they purposely rested key players having clinched everything. (OKC, Houston)

The Clippers, HEAT, Warriors, Pacers, Thunder, Blazers, and Grizzlies all got mauled by a healthy Spurs team after the midpoint.

The Playoffs was just a continuation of the 4 month stretch of complete domination of good teams.

However, they surprisingly played worse against team with less than 50 wins from the allstar break onwards. But if you had 50+ wins, you were going to get a double digit ass kicking from the second half HEALTHY Spurs.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?

The regular doesn't matter to teams like the Heat and Spurs so that fact was irrelevant and inconsequential which makes this thread an epic fail.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The regular doesn't matter to teams like the Heat and Spurs so that fact was irrelevant and inconsequential which makes this thread an epic fail.

The relevancy of a team's record against the top teams, early in the regular season is certainly questionable. That would be a fair response to such a stat... and given the results, it looks to be a smart one.

That said, I absolutely believe that bringing attention to such a stat and discussing it is more than fair. I would say the same regardless of which team owned the stat. In fact, had that stat been about the Heat, I imagine many hooplans would have been more than fine with discussing it and would likely be lauding this thread as a complete win.

The end result of who turns out to be right doesn't dictate the legitimacy of a thread, IMO.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The West is overrated. Healthy OKC is the clear cut not even close best team in the West. After that it is if GSW will be playing good enough to make a run at them, if Doc made enough improvements in LAC and the increasingly not likely scenario HOU figures out a way to get enough for Asik, either in a trade or in play.
:bullshit:

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true statement, Miami wasn't good.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have all been wrong about something, but where is that idiot Botgayer? He talked so much shit about the Spurs.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOTSLAYER simply disappeared.

He spent everyday posting about 5-10 postings each day from October-April, usually telling us how the Spurs were the worst team ever assembled in history.

I never saw a more active poster.....well until SA lifted the trophy.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have all been wrong about something, but where is that idiot Botgayer? He talked so much shit about the Spurs.

BOTSLAYER simply disappeared.

He spent everyday posting about 5-10 postings each day from October-April, usually telling us how the Spurs were the worst team ever assembled in history.

I never saw a more active poster.....well until SA lifted the trophy.

BOT also spent pretty much the entire season bitching about the refs and claiming that the NBA uses the refs to "fix" games. On June 17th (after game 3 of the finals), he created the last of his conspiracy theory threads, basically claiming that the refs were the reason the Heat lost (even though they lost by 20). Rather than man up and take what he had coming, he said he's "done with the NBA", blamed the refs for it and quit posting here.

End of the day, the board is better off without a poster like that.

Kudos to all of the other Heat fans and Lebroniacs who have shown up and taken what they knew was coming.:suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still posting.

He started a WNBA thread and is already bitching about the refs there.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spotted Bot on the soccer board the other day lol.

He's even worse than Lone Granger. Even Lone Granger showed up a few days after Indy got eliminated

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny, because all season I couldn't wait to get on Heat fans after they got eliminated, but for some reason most Heat fans have been humbled. Bot, on the hand, I cant give a pass.