• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sportshoopla Top 25 week 4 discussion

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say anybody that wants to do top 10 only this week can post it in the Top 25 thread and we can do top 10 with optional top 25 from here on

Thanks CK. I get people wanting to debate top 25, and also get others not wanting to put in that kind of work.

Cool of you to accommodate both groups, and thanks for your efforts.

In celebration of this change I released my first vote 1 week ahead of schedule! :suds:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused why we would focus on a top 10 poll. The top 10 teams usually get a ton of publicity and come with a bunch of groupthink. There's not near as many judgment calls as when you get outside the top 10 and posters have legitimate philosophical differences on how to rank teams. And if you make a poll for long enough, I think you will find that the fun is ranking 11-25, and how you rank those teams actually changes your perceptions on who you think should rise into the top 10.

Outside of laziness, I just don't get why 10 is better than 25. I'm fine with a Power 10, but I don't want it to be the primary SportsHoopla poll.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that was a long time ago and I thought we had buried that hatchet through PM's...where I explained what REALLY happened to you. But here you are, dragging the lie back up. :noidea:

You called me an asswipe and terrible poster as recent as a month or two ago (tsip thread you locked remember?). Really buried the hatchet didn't we? I'm I not allowed the same types of responses when you comment on my posts? Without you and Mamba acting all offended?

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused why we would focus on a top 10 poll. The top 10 teams usually get a ton of publicity and come with a bunch of groupthink. There's not near as many judgment calls as when you get outside the top 10 and posters have legitimate philosophical differences on how to rank teams. And if you make a poll for long enough, I think you will find that the fun is ranking 11-25, and how you rank those teams actually changes your perceptions on who you think should rise into the top 10.

Outside of laziness, I just don't get why 10 is better than 25. I'm fine with a Power 10, but I don't want it to be the primary SportsHoopla poll.

No one said you had to focus on top 10.

It's an option.

Hello?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You called me an asswipe and terrible poster as recent as a month or two ago (tsip thread you locked remember?). Really buried the hatchet didn't we? I'm I not allowed the same types of responses when you comment on my posts? Without you and Mamba acting all offended?

Ah yeah, I do remember that. When someone asked a question, I answered (with the true and correct answer) and your very fist post in the thread was telling me to "STFU".

Yeah, forgot all about that. Can't imagine why it was locked :L

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yeah, I do remember that. When someone asked a question, I answered (with the true and correct answer) and your very fist post in the thread was telling me to "STFU".

Yeah, forgot all about that. Can't imagine why it was locked :L

I'm not trying to win the court of public opinion but it wasn't quite that innocent and you know it. I'm done with ruining this thread with off topic stuff. Sorry.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one said you had to focus on top 10.

It's an option.

Hello?

"A top 10 with an optional top 25" sounds like a focus to me.

It's not even like a top 25 takes that long, either. It takes me maybe 10 minutes per week while I am watching the late game. If you can't spare 10 distracted minutes to make a poll, how can you spend the time following college football to make an accurate top ten poll? The only poll which takes awhile is the first one, and that makes sense, since the people pushing this aren't people that have consistently done our poll. Again, I don't understand the allure of 10 teams.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it will deter people from participating in the better option, thus diminishing the overall product, IMO.

I honestly don't think it detracts from a top 25 at all. What it does is increase participation. A lot of people don't want to bother with a top 25 for whatever reason. Personally I think its too much work.

Votes are still going to be counted all the way through 25, the people who prefer that are still getting what they want.

The way it is now that the option for top 10 is included, it will increase discussion.

For example I have put Nebraska as a playoff team. What say you?

:comeatmebro:

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should encourage the better, more thoughtful and complete product, not the lazy cop out. But hey, we live in a welfare state where no one wants to do too much. The Top 10 already exists within the Top 25, why ruin the rest of the poll just to favor the lazy? That's not "getting what they want" for those who want a solid poll.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it isn't lazy.

Just don't care about 11-25

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for a compromise. Everyone does top 10 or top 25. How about "SportsHoopla Top 17". :happy:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should encourage the better, more thoughtful and complete product, not the lazy cop out. But hey, we live in a welfare state where no one wants to do too much. The Top 10 already exists within the Top 25, why ruin the rest of the poll just to favor the lazy? That's not "getting what they want" for those who want a solid poll.

You're trying to relate social issues to a cfb poll?

OK.

Maybe we should do a complete poll of all 128 FBS schools. No?

Too much work I agree. But it would give us a more thoughtful and complete product...

Why stop at 25? Who made the benchmark of top 25 in the first place and why is it so important for some?

I appreciate why some do it, just don't see the point myself.

Most of the time they are biased and wrong.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SportsHoopla sweet 16

oh you just had to one up me, huh?

6a00d8341bf90553ef01a5116893ca970c-pi

:lol:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly we wont really know what a good win is til about week 8 or 9. Does beating LSU on the road look great right now?? Sure, but if LSU is 4-4 after their 8th game then is it really a great win?? Beating Mizzou on the road looks awesome but if Mizzou is 4-5 after 9 games then who cares?? On the flip side a win over Pitt excites no one but if Pitt is 7-1 after 8 games then is that a great win?? I mean 2 weeks ago beating BC was a big fucking who cares. Now ( after thewy beat USC ) its considered a quality win... Maybe USC just isnt very good?? I HATE labeling a win as a good win or a loss as a bad loss after 3 or 4 games. Its stupid.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for a compromise. Everyone does top 10 or top 25. How about "SportsHoopla Top 17". :happy:

Well, the old polls (AP, UPI, etc.) used to be Top 20. That wouldn't be bad. But 10 is just too exclusive, it will write off the fans of most teams and/or lead to absurd rankings by people wanting their team in the poll.

The SportsHoopla poll has been very good up to now. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're trying to relate social issues to a cfb poll?

OK.

Maybe we should do a complete poll of all 128 FBS schools. No?

Too much work I agree. But it would give us a more thoughtful and complete product...

Why stop at 25? Who made the benchmark of top 25 in the first place and why is it so important for some?

I appreciate why some do it, just don't see the point myself.

Most of the time they are biased and wrong.

A Top 10 poll is essentially oligarchy. The fans of the traditional powers will like it, and it will not serve the interest of the vast majority.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly we wont really know what a good win is til about week 8 or 9. Does beating LSU on the road look great right now?? Sure, but if LSU is 4-4 after their 8th game then is it really a great win?? Beating Mizzou on the road looks awesome but if Mizzou is 4-5 after 9 games then who cares?? On the flip side a win over Pitt excites no one but if Pitt is 7-1 after 8 games then is that a great win?? I mean 2 weeks ago beating BC was a big fucking who cares. Now ( after thewy beat USC ) its considered a quality win... Maybe USC just isnt very good?? I HATE labeling a win as a good win or a loss as a bad loss after 3 or 4 games. Its stupid.

LSU beat Wisconsin
Auburn beat Kansas State
Ole Miss beat Boise State
Arkansas beat Texas Tech and NIU both convincingly
Alabama beat WVU

The only 2 schools that did nothing OOC are Mississippi State(who just beat LSU) and Texas A&M(who beat South Carolina who beat UGA and East Carolina)

I'm guess what I'm trying to say is that it IS a quality win. LSU still has to play 4 top 10 teams. They very well could finish 7-5. But that is still a quality win and should resonate with pollsters. You can't compare records when some teams play a much better schedule than others. You could argue that a 6-6 LSU team is substantially better than an 8-4 even 9-3 Pitt team.

Last edited by a moderator:

dennis580

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
"A top 10 with an optional top 25" sounds like a focus to me.

It's not even like a top 25 takes that long, either. It takes me maybe 10 minutes per week while I am watching the late game. If you can't spare 10 distracted minutes to make a poll, how can you spend the time following college football to make an accurate top ten poll? The only poll which takes awhile is the first one, and that makes sense, since the people pushing this aren't people that have consistently done our poll. Again, I don't understand the allure of 10 teams.

You just proved why there should only be a top 10 poll. 10 distracted minutes on a top 25 means you are only spending 24 distracted seconds on each team making for a terrible top 25 poll. A top 10 poll will give us a much higher quality poll because we are spending more time on each team.

By the way the Playoff Committee will be spending up to 24 hours each Monday to give us a high quality top 25 poll

College Football Playoff selection committee could devalue importance of regular season | NBC Sports

Long says the committee will begin working on the latest rankings each Monday and will work up to 24 hours with breaks for food until the job is complete.