• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sportshoopla Top 25 Week 3 Discussion Thread

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avg. Rank the last 4 years according to Massey composite:

Colorado State - 62.75
Indiana - 67

Colorado State actually rated higher last year despite playing a worse schedule and only having one more win.

Colorado State currently is ranked higher in the Massey composite. So there's that.

OU shot themselves in the foot, which is why the margin was close on the scoreboard, that was the only thing keeping Ohio State in the game. I mean seriously, Ohio State was outgained by 200 yards before that garbage time FG at the end. There's no bias in those facts.
LOL, OSU shot themselves in the foot the entire game by not running with Dobbins and Webber. I mentioned this in an earlier thread actually. Those guys averaged 6.5 yards per rush that game. There were 3 drives where OSU had to kick FGs. All 3 involved a first down in the red zone. Know how many rushes either RB got? 0. Think that could've maybe made a difference? Take a look at the win predictor for both games, too. There was a tiny sliver of time in the 2nd where FSU was projected to win. Meanwhile, Oklahoma wasn't predicted to win until 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

If you want to honestly tell me playing Colorado St. at home during the day is the same as playing Indiana at prime time in what their school called their biggest game in 50 years with 9 returning defensive players as part of a defense that some were saying would be top 25 along with a likely 2nd-3rd round pick at WR and returning QB, then I guess that's your choice. Keep in mind we also beat Indiana by 10 more points than Bama beat CSU.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, OSU shot themselves in the foot the entire game by not running with Dobbins and Webber. I mentioned this in an earlier thread actually. Those guys averaged 6.5 yards per rush that game. There were 3 drives where OSU had to kick FGs. All 3 involved a first down in the red zone. Know how many rushes either RB got? 0. Think that could've maybe made a difference? Take a look at the win predictor for both games, too. There was a tiny sliver of time in the 2nd where FSU was projected to win. Meanwhile, Oklahoma wasn't predicted to win until 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

If you want to honestly tell me playing Colorado St. at home during the day is the same as playing Indiana at prime time in what their school called their biggest game in 50 years with 9 returning defensive players as part of a defense that some were saying would be top 25 along with a likely 2nd-3rd round pick at WR and returning QB, then I guess that's your choice. Keep in mind we also beat Indiana by 10 more points than Bama beat CSU.

OU fumbled twice and missed a FG, which is completely different than the Ohio State coaches not calling a good game plan. Any way you want to spin it, Ohio State couldn't stop OU all night, I mean they only forced one punt. That's why there was such a disparity in total yards, and not on the scoreboard.

I'm telling you, there isn't much difference in the quality of Colorado State and Indiana. There hasn't been the last 4 years(Colorado State actually slightly better), and it doesn't appear to be much different this year. Also, that returning QB IU has isn't any good, as evidenced by his awful 2016 season and him being benched the following game against UVA. Keep in mind the fact that Colorado State scored 14 points after the outcome was decided. But yes, I'll agree, playing road/home is a factor. But IU probably has the 2nd/3rd worst home field advantage in the B1G so it's not that big of a deal, as say playing at PSU/Mich/Wisconsin.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU fumbled twice and missed a FG, which is completely different than the Ohio State coaches not calling a good game plan. Any way you want to spin it, Ohio State couldn't stop OU all night, I mean they only forced one punt. That's why there was such a disparity in total yards, and not on the scoreboard.

I'm telling you, there isn't much difference in the quality of Colorado State and Indiana. There hasn't been the last 4 years(Colorado State actually slightly better), and it doesn't appear to be much different this year. Also, that returning QB IU has isn't any good, as evidenced by his awful 2016 season and him being benched the following game against UVA. Keep in mind the fact that Colorado State scored 14 points after the outcome was decided. But yes, I'll agree, playing road/home is a factor. But IU probably has the 2nd/3rd worst home field advantage in the B1G so it's not that big of a deal, as say playing at PSU/Mich/Wisconsin.
OSU forced two fumbles. You can't just act like those were just OU giving the ball to us. OSU coaches not calling the right game plan, however, is almost the definition of shooting yourselves in the foot. We had the capacity to run all night if we chose to, which we obviously should have done when it was evident Barrett wasn't going to get it done through the air. The gameflow would've been significantly different had we actually controlled the clock and tempo with our running game while also perhaps avoiding some of our 5 punts. Instead, we foolishly relied on JT's arm instead of getting the ball out of his hands and into the hands of our RBs, which stifled our offense dramatically.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see Wisconsin play Washington in the Rose Bowl. It's been too long since we've won that game.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU forced two fumbles. You can't just act like those were just OU giving the ball to us. OSU coaches not calling the right game plan, however, is almost the definition of shooting yourselves in the foot. We had the capacity to run all night if we chose to, which we obviously should have done when it was evident Barrett wasn't going to get it done through the air. The gameflow would've been significantly different had we actually controlled the clock and tempo with our running game while also perhaps avoiding some of our 5 punts. Instead, we foolishly relied on JT's arm instead of getting the ball out of his hands and into the hands of our RBs, which stifled our offense dramatically.

I'll give OSU credit for the one fumble(player put his helmet right on the ball), but the other one was a fuck up by OU, OSU had nothing to do with it other than falling on a loose ball. The missed FG, OSU also had nothing to do with as well. And I don't know why the OSU coaches had that gameplan, but they're in control of it.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....turning two fumbles into 3 points isn't really setting the woods on fire.

We turned the only turnover we forced into 7 points.

You gotta take advantage of those opportunities to have a chance against OU this year it seems?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....turning two fumbles into 3 points isn't really setting the woods on fire.

We turned the only turnover we forced into 7 points.

You gotta take advantage of those opportunities to have a chance against OU this year it seems?
Most years you do, honestly. It's truly mind-boggling, going back through and looking at the game plan and the plays they called. I know it's been 3 games, and not against a murderer's row of teams, but we need to run the offense through Dobbins until Barrett either proves he can throw again, or he gets hurt and we finally put in Haskins.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most years you do, honestly. It's truly mind-boggling, going back through and looking at the game plan and the plays they called. I know it's been 3 games, and not against a murderer's row of teams, but we need to run the offense through Dobbins until Barrett either proves he can throw again, or he gets hurt and we finally put in Haskins.

I don't know anything about your guy Haskins, but there must be some quality preventing Meyer from using him, especially when you consider his past handling of quarterbacks: Jones, Barrett, and Miller, for example.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please help me understand why is some of your minds. FSU is still ranked. We are 3 weeks in and they are 0-1
please explain!

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please help me understand why is some of your minds. FSU is still ranked. We are 3 weeks in and they are 0-1
please explain!
Their indian guy looks way cooler than any of your indian guise. That's why.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
please explain!
They have 1 loss to the #1 team in the country. They are still a good football team.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
please explain!

Here's what I said about it on the first page.
Sorry, can't Rank anymore Miami at 1-0 or FSU at 0-1. Not enough sample size no matter how good "I think" they are. They will have to catch up.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know anything about your guy Haskins, but there must be some quality preventing Meyer from using him, especially when you consider his past handling of quarterbacks: Jones, Barrett, and Miller, for example.
It would be an unprecedented move to replace someone fresh off setting the conference record for total TDs. That said, you have to look past what he has done before and look at what he's doing now. I see no reason why, in these next two games, Haskins shouldn't start getting extended second half looks. UNLV is a dumpster fire and Rutgers is, well, Rutgers. Ever since he broke his leg against michigan in 2014, Barrett just hasn't looked the same. Haskins fits what Kevin Wilson wants to do, so it needs to happen if we truly want to utilize our OC and win a title. If not, 9-3 is a real possibility.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be an unprecedented move to replace someone fresh off setting the conference record for total TDs. That said, you have to look past what he has done before and look at what he's doing now. I see no reason why, in these next two games, Haskins shouldn't start getting extended second half looks. UNLV is a dumpster fire and Rutgers is, well, Rutgers. Ever since he broke his leg against michigan in 2014, Barrett just hasn't looked the same. Haskins fits what Kevin Wilson wants to do, so it needs to happen if we truly want to utilize our OC and win a title. If not, 9-3 is a real possibility.

I empathize. . . sympathy is not an option. :suds:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Nebraska fans and Ohio State fans both want their QB's replaced.

Interesting group.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't you?

Yeah probably, but I just don't see Meyer pulling the trigger on that. What you might gain with better QB play, I think you lose in team chemistry.

But Mike Riley at Nebraska better do something toot sweat.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah probably, but I just don't see Meyer pulling the trigger on that. What you might gain with better QB play, I think you lose in team chemistry.

But Mike Riley at Nebraska better do something toot sweat.
I'm not sure the team chemistry is worth wasting our offensive weapons with a mediocre QB. Winning and running an efficient offense, I'm sure, would do wonders for team chemistry.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure the team chemistry is worth wasting our offensive weapons with a mediocre QB. Winning and running an efficient offense, I'm sure, would do wonders for team chemistry.

Maybe
I just don't think Meyer is going to do it.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe
I just don't think Meyer is going to do it.
Oh I don't either. Not yet, at least. Might take an injury. If that happens, I think you can effectively shut the door on JT, regardless of how bad the injury is.