• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sportshoopla Preseason Top 25

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. You may be right. It's still a stretch at this point. And to be fair, the year Stidham played in the Big 12, what defenses were there to even give him trouble? He played decent at best vs. Oklahoma, and didn't face Texas or TCU.

Stretch? Sure, I agree. Them being number 1 is the result of the system I used. But I also predict they will challenge for the SEC this year and as long as Bama is in the conference you're going to have to be a top team to do that. So maybe the system will work out. I don't know, by week 4 my original rankings wont matter anymore.

The Big 12 isn't some defensive juggernaut by any means. But it's still D1 athletes, with sophisticated coverages, elite (college) pass rushers, etc. If it was so easy lots of true freshman would look as good as he did. They just haven't, because it's a mental position if you don't have elite athleticism. He doesn't, so that shows he has the QB it factor.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stretch? Sure, I agree. Them being number 1 is the result of the system I used. But I also predict they will challenge for the SEC this year and as long as Bama is in the conference you're going to have to be a top team to do that. So maybe the system will work out. I don't know, by week 4 my original rankings wont matter anymore.

The Big 12 isn't some defensive juggernaut by any means. But it's still D1 athletes, with sophisticated coverages, elite (college) pass rushers, etc. If it was so easy lots of true freshman would look as good as he did. They just haven't, because it's a mental position if you don't have elite athleticism. He doesn't, so that shows he has the QB it factor.
He's got pretty excellent athleticism, I believe. He was a dual-threat QB coming out of high school. It's more just commentary on the video game numbers so many QBs put up in the Big 12 only to completely flame out once they try the NFL. I know we're talking Auburn and not the NFL, but I'd argue he'll face a significantly larger number of NFL-level players than in the Big 12. Outside of Oklahoma and Texas, nobody is putting out elite defensive talent. The SEC has Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and Missouri, among others.

Auburn will be good and I think they'll finish top 10. If he's the real deal, they'll definitely be a force.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got pretty excellent athleticism, I believe. He was a dual-threat QB coming out of high school. It's more just commentary on the video game numbers so many QBs put up in the Big 12 only to completely flame out once they try the NFL. I know we're talking Auburn and not the NFL, but I'd argue he'll face a significantly larger number of NFL-level players than in the Big 12. Outside of Oklahoma and Texas, nobody is putting out elite defensive talent. The SEC has Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and Missouri, among others.

Auburn will be good and I think they'll finish top 10. If he's the real deal, they'll definitely be a force.

I think this is too simple a way to look at things. Everybody in the Big 12 isn't putting up video game numbers. It's the teams with good QB's that do so. At the end of the day, if you don't have a QB, you aren't doing shit on offense. Even against mediocre defenses. Texas Tech isn't the rule in the Big 12. They are the exception.

Even we made them look bad on defense during the Charlie Strong era. Kansas and Iowa St shut us down though. Because we had no QB, or in the case of Kansas, an injured one who was ineffective. And neither one of those teams are known for playing defense. It's just not as easy as you are making it seem to play QB in any Power 5 league, including the Big 12.

The NFL is just a bad way to judge a conference. It's well known that the style of offense and defense played in the Big 12 is not conducive to NFL prospects. It's about speed speed speed on both sides of the ball. Sacrificing size and strength. Both of which are pretty important to the NFL.

It's also why the Big 12 does very well against the more finesse teams in college football OOC while struggling with the bigger stronger physical teams. Obviously with some exceptions when our coaches just plain out game plan other coaches occasionally.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Top 25

1) Ohio State
2) Florida State
3) Alabama
4) USC
5) Penn State
6) Washington
7) Oklahoma
8) Wisconsin
9) Clemson
10) Oklahoma State
11) Stanford
12) LSU
13) Michigan
14) Florida
15) Louisville
16) Auburn
17) Miami FL
18) South Florida
19) Georgia
20) Northwestern
21) Virginia Tech
22) Boise State
23) Washington State
24) West Virginia
25) Appalachian State

Here is my Top 25. I don't see why so many votes for Texas for a preseason poll. They haven't had a winning season since 2013. They may have a new coach that is promising and good recruiting classes, but when haven't they had a recruiting class outside the top 20?

2010 - #2 recruiting class (source - 2010 Football Team Rankings)
2011 - #4 recruiting class (2011 Football Team Rankings)
2012 - #2 recruiting class (2012 Football Team Rankings)
2013 - #17 recruiting class (2013 Football Team Rankings)
2014 - #17 recruiting class (2014 Football Team Rankings)
2015 - #10 recruiting class (2015 Football Team Rankings)
2016 - #7 recruiting class (2016 Football Team Rankings)

I am not saying they will not be a Top 25 team, but I don't see where they deserve it right now. I want to see them show me they are good enough for it before I put them in there.