• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sportshoopla Preseason Top 25

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JFC... this AP voter on Finebaum has Texas 9th and Clemson 12th. Ok, fuck the Clemson part, but Texas at 9th. What am i missing? That's rhetorical, what I really mean is FUCK THIS Wilner guy! He should have his voting responsibilities revoked, then he should be tarred and feathered, then receive 39 lashes and run out of town.
Jon Wilner....well, he doesn't really know a goddamn thing about football. He likes working the donkey shows in Tijuana.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's maybe not a huge stretch, but again, it's laughable to say they're the top team in the entire nation bringing in a QB who hasn't taken a meaningful snap in exactly 21 months today. I know they return 14 starters, but they're middle of the pack in regards to returning production and that's from an 8-5 team.

Again, it's just silly to say they're #1, but if you want to be outside of the box, so be it.

Its a formula that he came up with to rank his teams preseason. We'll see how it plays out.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn is somewhat defensible if you take into account they have 14 starters returning, which is not including Stidham, and they've recruited really well the past 3/4 seasons. They get Bama at home and their road cross over game is at Missouri. I don't think they'll beat Clemson, but I think that'll be a competitive game, especially early in the year with what Clemson has to replace. If they beat Clemson on the road, my guess is they'll vault into the top 6.
If Auburn can beat Bama this year, then they will have a great year.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah
It was me muthafuks.
We'll see who's laughing later.

Got It.
Good

:comeatmebro:
In 1974 there was a total solar eclipse in North America.

Just sayin....
national-champs-1974-hdr.jpg

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A formula? You mean a guess? And yes, we'll see how it plays out.

No it was a formula. It had to do with returning starters and recruiting from the last 4 years or something like that.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it was a formula. It had to do with returning starters and recruiting from the last 4 years or something like that.
Soo.... you mean, basically what everyone bases rankings on?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soo.... you mean, basically what everyone bases rankings on?

Probably not. I'm under the assumption he used some type of mathematical equation. Which would explain why there is extreme variance with his top 25 compared to others.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not. I'm under the assumption he used some type of mathematical equation. Which would explain why there is extreme variance with his top 25 compared to others.
I think you may be overestimating the lad. Seems like he just wants to be outside of the box with his picks. It's win/win.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you may be overestimating the lad. Seems like he just wants to be outside of the box with his picks. It's win/win.

I'm just taking his word for it, he literally said so in his post.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it was too big of a stretch for one or two voters to forecast Auburn as #1, all things considered. I certainly don't think they will end up there, but stranger things have happened. They could very well finish in the top 5 in things fall their way. The most laughable pick was Florida at #1. I don't think anyone has owned up to that pick, yet.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also mildly surprised that neither Washington nor Penn St. drew a single first place vote & that Washington St. & TCU made the Top 25 while Pittsburgh & Utah did not.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also mildly surprised that neither Washington nor Penn St. drew a single first place vote & that Washington St. & TCU made the Top 25 while Pittsburgh & Utah did not.

Washington State belongs

TCU is a little questionable seeing that they didn't have a winning record last year and overall Kenny Hill weighs that team down

Pitt loses a lot

so does Utah but Utah has earned the benefit of the doubt lately

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's maybe not a huge stretch, but again, it's laughable to say they're the top team in the entire nation bringing in a QB who hasn't taken a meaningful snap in exactly 21 months today. I know they return 14 starters, but they're middle of the pack in regards to returning production and that's from an 8-5 team.

Again, it's just silly to say they're #1, but if you want to be outside of the box, so be it.

He was a 5 star recruit and Baylor didn't miss a beat when they plugged him in his true freshman year. Once he went down, they did miss a beat, they didn't even try to pass the rest of the year and loss to a bad Texas team.

Now he's in his 3rd year of college football. Kid is going to show out this year. Auburn already had a ton of talent coming back before they added him. He was their missing piece IMO.

I can't think of a single season Malzahn has had a competent QB and didn't have an elite offense. He just seems to suck at recruiting and developing QB's on his own.

My only trepidation is Kevin Steele at DC. That could make my prediction look very stupid, but he has done well in the SEC where his defensive style seems to fit better against the offenses played in the league.

Last edited:

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I used Phil Steele experience chart, 247 total team talent, and last years end of season computer rankings. All equal in weight. Far from perfect, but preseason rankings are a crap shoot anyway. I'll adjust once a football game has actually been played.

I did the same thing last year. Worked out pretty well if you look back. :D

Doesn't change my stance on Auburn because my rankings agree with my head.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Utah's entire team from last year is in NFL camps right now (not literally but something like 15 players). Pittsburgh returns the least amount of experience in their 2 deep of any Power 5 school (or close to it). TCU and Washington St are just the opposite. I'm actually impressed by the informed nature that this occurred. :suds:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used Phil Steele experience chart, 247 total team talent, and last years end of season computer rankings. All equal in weight. Far from perfect, but preseason rankings are a crap shoot anyway. I'll adjust once a football game has actually been played.

I did the same thing last year. Worked out pretty well if you look back. :D

Doesn't change my stance on Auburn because my rankings agree with my head.
Fair enough. You may be right. It's still a stretch at this point. And to be fair, the year Stidham played in the Big 12, what defenses were there to even give him trouble? He played decent at best vs. Oklahoma, and didn't face Texas or TCU.