• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SOS and the CFP Committee

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've never understood that either. If memory serves, the previous season the argument was SOS. Then the next season, when SOS didn't work for them, it was which team had the "better loss".

Exactly. Until the system comes up with a specific criteria on how to judge the best teams (something the hoops committee does), we will continue to see new variables popping up just to justify ones own personal biases.

Nobody wins a football game by how many yards they produced or allowed.

Alabama beat its only two quality opponents Penn State and Arkansas, by 16 and 24 points. Oklahoma State beat Oklahoma by 34 points and Baylor by 35 points. Only two opponents they beat were by less than 10 points.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in skiing, but football is not skiing.

I place alot of emphasis on teams beating the teams they should and playing the others like they know how to play. In that season(and I watched alot of both teams) Bama looked like they had a handle on every game including the LSU game they lost. Ok St did not look as confident and poised in a few of their games and lucked out on a couple of wins(my opinion). Yes luck plays a part in football, but so does bad luck and losing late in that season was their gut check and they blew it. Of course this is all my opinion, but apparently its a widely shared opinion(atleast in the voters eyes).

Not about skiing it is about the path. OSU's path was harder. It foes not matter if they lost to the best or the worst team on their way to 11 wins. It is a cumulative thing. Each game counts as 8.3% of a 12 game record. That is not subjective, that is fact. Trying to make 1 game count more than others is subjective and logically flawed

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Until the system comes up with a specific criteria on how to judge the best teams (something the hoops committee does), we will continue to see new variables popping up just to justify ones own personal biases.

Nobody wins a football game by how many yards they produced or allowed.

Alabama beat its only two quality opponents Penn State and Arkansas, by 16 and 24 points. Oklahoma State beat Oklahoma by 34 points and Baylor by 35 points. Only two opponents they beat were by less than 10 points.

But they were lucky and not confident in those wins.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not about skiing it is about the path. OSU's path was harder. It foes not matter if they lost to the best or the worst team on their way to 11 wins. It is a cumulative thing. Each game counts as 8.3% of a 12 game record. That is not subjective, that is fact. Trying to make 1 game count more than others is subjective and logically flawed

Yes, and lets face it: we have never got to see how Alabama would have played against Georgia or South Carolina.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are putting words in my mouth now, I stated they didnt not look confident in every game they played. Gotta love the grasping at any little thing to try and get a pissing match started. I come in to talk football, you want to play around by putting words in my mouth. Guess its time to measure dicks now...or are you still involved in talking football and leaving the childish games for the kiddies.

Notice when i posted I used words like "my opinion". That is not for sale and certainly not going to be changed by someone putting words in my mouth.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and lets face it: we have never got to see how Alabama would have played against Georgia or South Carolina.

Blame the SEC and the coaches(save 1) who dont want the nine game in conference schedule.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

All what we really need to do is look at SOS, winning%, and conference championship status. Everything else is irrelevant and too deceptive.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

All what we really need to do is look at SOS, winning%, and conference championship status. Everything else is irrelevant and too deceptive.

If you laugh at the clowns on here, it makes them act out even more. Having a decent college football conversation ends in jimmy rustling on here because of the clowns.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you laugh at the clowns on here, it makes them act out even more. Having a decent college football conversation ends in jimmy rustling on here because of the clowns.

I know you're an Alabama fan and all, but I really don't think they deserved it in 2011. Sorry, but to me, you need to complete your conference obstacle course in order to qualify for the 4 team to 2 team playoff. It bothers me that teams can avoid upper crust competition and get rewarded for it. I know, it's wasn't an intentional dodge. Oklahoma State played a more difficult schedule. This is statistically backed up. They won their conference, and easily beat most of their competition. The only negative is their loss in OT to Iowa State, which was bowl eligible, and their loss happened hours before hearing tragic news.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lighten up Francis. That is just mean. One little joke and you start insulting. Come on, internet Bro hug time

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you're an Alabama fan and all, but I really don't think they deserved it in 2011. Sorry, but to me, you need to complete your conference obstacle course in order to qualify for the 4 team to 2 team playoff. It bothers me that teams can avoid upper crust competition and get rewarded for it. I know, it's wasn't an intentional dodge. Oklahoma State played a more difficult schedule. This is statistically backed up. They won their conference, and easily beat most of their competition. The only negative is their loss in OT to Iowa State, which was bowl eligible, and their loss happened hours before hearing tragic news.

That is not even considered into this and is more of an excuse really. OK state being ahead in that game should say that the news was not that big of a deal during the game.

As in most years it still came down to who lost last and that year was not really different. I will say that Bama was in the top 5 all year and stayed that way. Oklahoma State worked their way up and was in position, it was simple for them, win and you in. That gut check time shows the mettle of teams and coaches that voted know this. Bama losing to a top team in LSU was a 50/50 proposition and more of a flinch, what State did was a complete blowup because they should have handled that team easily. Like they say, thats why you play the games. Another saying is Championship teams find a way to win with the chips on the line.

I get all the facts and figures, but one inevitable fact still remains, its past history and to use revisionist history at this point still wont change a thing. We will never know who could of or should of, but we know who did and in resounding fashion. That speaks volumes.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh I would have liked their chances against UGA in the SEC CG that year. Hell, Georgia barely finished in the top 20. They couldn't beat South Carolina at home and Boise walked into the Georgia Dome and beat them like a drum. LSU crushed them in the SEC CG. The second half was a runaway. It's speculation but I'm pretty sure Bama would have felt pretty good about that one.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lighten up Francis. That is just mean. One little joke and you start insulting. Come on, internet Bro hug time

No it was more about the putting words in my mouth after I stated "my opinion". I dont mind a friendly jab if I am being funny or stating outlandish thoughts, but my comments were my opinions on it and it was stated as such and it was not about every game(even said that using other words in that post). I was just warning the new guy about how many carry on around here, it was not really directed at you in totality as you are normally a very straight forward poster, just tonight with the cats claws a few times.:lol:

Its all good:suds:

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I would have liked their chances against UGA in the SEC CG that year. Hell, Georgia barely finished in the top 20. They couldn't beat South Carolina at home and Boise walked into the Georgia Dome and beat them like a drum. LSU crushed them in the SEC CG. The second half was a runaway. It's speculation but I'm pretty sure Bama would have felt pretty good about that one.

I feel the same way, the EAST has been a train wreck in recent years and only by the grace of other teams losing their touch has SC been able to claw its way into respectability.
Georgia is not a clutch team and has a sense of defeatist in them when the chips are down.
SC is at best a bit above average.
Florida is jeckle and hyde. You dont know which team is going to show up and it may not stay the whole game as the formula might wear off too soon.
Mizzou has a chance to rule if they can get some good classes coming in.
Vandy lost its best asset to PSU.
Kentucky has a Stoops at the helm and its not Bob, thats the good news and bad news, but its still Kentucky and like Duke and NC, its still a basketball school.
Tennessee is on its way back up the hill, but that hill is a mile tall straight up and they are on roller skates at the bottom currently, gonna be a long climb.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BW,

Give Georgia credit the 2012 SEC Championship game was the best one in history. If their defense could've just made a few more stops or they hadn't blown the clock management at the end of the game they very well would have been playing ND and been BCS Champs.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BW,

Give Georgia credit the 2012 SEC Championship game was the best one in history. If their defense could've just made a few more stops or they hadn't blown the clock management at the end of the game they very well would have been playing ND and been BCS Champs.

Most likely they go on to beat ND and yes, that SEC CG game was amazing. I was on the edge of my seat the entire game. Actually I was standing for quite a bit of it.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand why the hell they don't just do an 8 team playoff with each bcs conference winner getting a spot with two at large bids.
-------
Anytime you still include at large berths you open the door to controversy. Right now there are 10 conferences (to and including the mid-majors. Why not have a 10 team playoff? Oh wait, you're independent? Join a conference or be SOL. And quite frankly, you'd see all the independents jump all over themselves getting into a conference ubder those circumstances.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Anytime you still include at large berths you open the door to controversy. Right now there are 10 conferences (to and including the mid-majors. Why not have a 10 team playoff? Oh wait, you're independent? Join a conference or be SOL. And quite frankly, you'd see all the independents jump all over themselves getting into a conference ubder those circumstances.

People bitch, it is just in our nature. Any format will have people bitching about something. The larger the format the less meaningful the bitching. Bitching about #2 vs #3 is huge. #2 has a 50% chance to win a title and #3 has 0. #8 v #9?? Assuming everyone has an equal chance, which is BS, we are talking a 12.5% chance vs 0.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People bitch, it is just in our nature. Any format will have people bitching about something. The larger the format the less meaningful the bitching. Bitching about #2 vs #3 is huge. #2 has a 50% chance to win a title and #3 has 0. #8 v #9?? Assuming everyone has an equal chance, which is BS, we are talking a 12.5% chance vs 0.
-------
Come back some time and translate this for me:suds:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Come back some time and translate this for me:suds:
Simply that complaining in goign to happen in every proposal. Every time we extend the amount of participants the complaints carry less weight. Its pretty simple idea. The decision between who is #2 or #3 is much more important than who is #8/#9 in the scheme of things