• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sooo, the NFL says "no precedent for deflate gate"? Really? Ask the 2009 Jets...

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so now the NFL has lied about "this never happening before" (i.e no precedent)...and we find in 2009, the jets did this exact same thing...and only an equipment guy was suspended, and the kicker...played. No team fines, no loss of picks, no player suspensions...no news. why?

it wasnt the patriots...

2009 Jets-Patriots incident becomes issue in Brady case | ProFootballTalk

2009 Jets-Patriots incident becomes issue in Brady case
Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
kicking.jpg
Getty Images
From SpyGate to #DeflateGate to tampering allegations to two (and sometimes three) games per season, the Jets and Patriots have had a combustible relationship in recent years. Fittingly, a previously unknown chapter in the rivalry has made its way into the Tom Bradysuspension litigation.

Paragraph 111 of the 54-page lawsuit filed Wednesday by the NFLPA elaborates on a point briefly addressed in the ruling from Commissioner Roger Goodell upholding the Brady discipline. In 2009, the NFL suspended a member of the Jets’ equipment for attempting “to use unapproved equipment to prep the K[icking] Balls” before a game against the Patriots.

As the NFLPA points out, the NFL did not investigate or discipline the Jets kicker for “general awareness” or specific involvement, even though the Jets kicker (like Brady in this case) was the player most likely to benefit from the behavior and, in turn, the player most likely to be aware of the conduct.

The NFLPA explains in its lawsuit that the decision not to investigate or discipline the Jets kicker “was perfectly consistent with the Competitive Integrity Policy’s application to Clubs, not players.”

So why suspend Brady under a policy that applies to teams and not players? At paragraph 108 of the lawsuit, the NFLPA claims that “a fine would not have quenched other NFL owners’ thirst for a more draconian penalty.”

The 54-page filing says nothing more about owners wanting a “more draconian penalty,” and no specific owners are named. Given the history between the Jets and Patriots, the NFLPA probably believes that one of them was Woody Johnson

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so now the NFL has lied about "this never happening before" (i.e no precedent)...and we find in 2009, the jets did this exact same thing...and only an equipment guy was suspended, and the kicker...played. No team fines, no loss of picks, no player suspensions...no news. why?

it wasnt the patriots...

2009 Jets-Patriots incident becomes issue in Brady case | ProFootballTalk

2009 Jets-Patriots incident becomes issue in Brady case
Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
kicking.jpg
Getty Images
From SpyGate to #DeflateGate to tampering allegations to two (and sometimes three) games per season, the Jets and Patriots have had a combustible relationship in recent years. Fittingly, a previously unknown chapter in the rivalry has made its way into the Tom Bradysuspension litigation.

Paragraph 111 of the 54-page lawsuit filed Wednesday by the NFLPA elaborates on a point briefly addressed in the ruling from Commissioner Roger Goodell upholding the Brady discipline. In 2009, the NFL suspended a member of the Jets’ equipment for attempting “to use unapproved equipment to prep the K[icking] Balls” before a game against the Patriots.

As the NFLPA points out, the NFL did not investigate or discipline the Jets kicker for “general awareness” or specific involvement, even though the Jets kicker (like Brady in this case) was the player most likely to benefit from the behavior and, in turn, the player most likely to be aware of the conduct.

The NFLPA explains in its lawsuit that the decision not to investigate or discipline the Jets kicker “was perfectly consistent with the Competitive Integrity Policy’s application to Clubs, not players.”

So why suspend Brady under a policy that applies to teams and not players? At paragraph 108 of the lawsuit, the NFLPA claims that “a fine would not have quenched other NFL owners’ thirst for a more draconian penalty.”

The 54-page filing says nothing more about owners wanting a “more draconian penalty,” and no specific owners are named. Given the history between the Jets and Patriots, the NFLPA probably believes that one of them was Woody Johnson

Would like to know more about this. What equipment was used and what do they mean by "attempted?"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to know more about this. What equipment was used and what do they mean by "attempted?"
oh, its good stuff.

i barely remember this happening.

guess because it wasnt a big deal oh, in 2009.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ROCK CRACKED THE CASE!

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even the most ardent Pats hater couldn't claim with a straight face that this would be just as big of a story if it wasn't Brady.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even the most ardent Pats hater couldn't claim with a straight face that this would be just as big of a story if it wasn't Brady.
oh, youd like to have hope for humanity in that respect huh?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock, if I wasn't a Pats fan I'd chide the shit out of Pats fans too. I just wouldn't honestly believe that this shit has made a squat of difference in what he's accomplished. I certainly don't think Jerry Rice would have been shit without stickum.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely!

Its good for the NFL that its taken down its golden boy!

WITCHHUNT!

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so basically, this proves this case is being treated entirely differently than a prior incident that was swept under the rug by the league.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock, if I wasn't a Pats fan I'd chide the shit out of Pats fans too. I just wouldn't honestly believe that this shit has made a squat of difference in what he's accomplished. I certainly don't think Jerry Rice would have been shit without stickum.
oh, i agree with ya on all counts.

its just funny to watch the hypocritical dancing...

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirt, really....this is just as big if it's Jon Kitna?

I mean, are you really incapable of conceding such a simple point?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its Big for ANY Super Bowl winning QB......Why is it you guys are missing that point?.......When the NFL has evidence that a team may have won a SB because it skirted the rules, they are gonna take a lot closer look at it than if Ryan Lindley cheated in a meaningless Week 13 game.........Do you really think if Seattle won that game, and it was found out Russell Wilson cheated in some way, this wouldnt be as big a deal? Thats crazy......I still would love an explanation why it benefits the NFL to damage the reputation of Tom Brady? Why is it that the NFL would be after the Patriots? This is a league that has bent over backwards for Kraft prior to this incident

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Except that winning this year's SB has nothing to do with it as it'd be just as big in an effort to tear down the dynasty.

My best guess is that there's some collosal egos involved and that Brady was a total douche after the Ravens game.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dirt, the 2009 jets went 9-7

kinda went to the AFCCG

sanchize, etc

a team molded in defense and special teams play

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dirt, the 2009 jets went 9-7

kinda went to the AFCCG

sanchize, etc

a team molded in defense and special teams play

If this didnt involve Tom Brady, Im sure you would recognize the difference between a Kicker and QB deflating a football

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Except that winning this year's SB has nothing to do with it as it'd be just as big in an effort to tear down the dynasty.

My best guess is that there's some collosal egos involved and that Brady was a total douche after the Ravens game.

This is all in your imagination....'tear down the dynasty'.......Why? Who? for What?...........The NFL wasnt to tear down the dynasty? Thats just total fandom speaking...'They are out to get us'....Its insane

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this didnt involve Tom Brady, Im sure you would recognize the difference between a Kicker and QB deflating a football
so its ok for the jets to cheat and get to the AFCCG...right?

but

its NOT ok for tom brady to take a puff of air out of his footballs on his way to a SB win

just making sure were on the same page.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirt, I'm not saying big conspiracy. I honestly think Brady's smug shit after the Ravens game seriously pissed off Harbaugh and the people in Southie's NY Gang thread went along with the sting. It wasn't a set up?

Why wasn't this handled by the basic precedent of saying cut the shit like they've done for years?

If we're playing golf and I see that you're lined up an inch in front of the tee markers, do I let you hit the ball and then after the hole announce that you lost the hole or might I advise you to correct it? Some things can be corrected before they're a problem like this could have been. This thing was just handled really shitty and there has to be a reason for that.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so its ok for the jets to cheat and get to the AFCCG...right?

but

its NOT ok for tom brady to take a puff of air out of his footballs on his way to a SB win

just making sure were on the same page.

Apples and Apples

If Seattle wins the SB and Russ Wilson is found to be cheating, he gets the same 4 game suspension, people who dont think so, are Tom Brady apologists

It wouldnt be as big a story, because not as many fans and media would be running to protect Wilsons' legacy, and Wilson may not threaten to take it to court, but he would be getting the same 4 game suspension