• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some say Romo is expendable, what about Dez?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last decade we saw the importance of a stud RB almost disappear, and I think we are about to see that flip for RB and move towards the stud WR as being unnecessary. With the crop of current rookie RB's doing what they are doing I expect to see them more featured in the next few drafts. However, the big money WR is going to be seen less and less as teams decide to go more with a stable of good WR's as opposed to a great one and some spares. Plus the great WR is a salary cap albatross.

My proof is a small sample size, but look at what has happened when Dez went out and Megatron retired. In both instances the ball became spread around more and the QB's actually did better. Rather than focusing on the crutch, they are going through their progressions (time allowing of course) and getting the open guy. There isn't a focus on getting 10 targets to a single guy regardless of the coverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see more featured RB's and less featured WR in the next 5 years.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Kind of completely disagree. WRs right now are more important than they ever were:2cents:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Kind of completely disagree. WRs right now are more important than they ever were:2cents:

I guess we will see. Things like this are cyclical, and I see the league moving from a throwing focus to a running focus as everyone gets lighter on the DL and more speed for the WR. Defense always follows offense, and I think we are seeing a turn for the ground game.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 NFL Player Passing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

250ypg is 4,000 for the year. 18 QBs are above that and another 6 are within 10 yards of it. Plus look at the trades teams have given up to find that next QB.

I wouldn't hold my breadth waiting for that shift back to running and this coming from a guy that LOVES running the ball.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo can't be traded cause I don't think any teams that are close to challenging for a SB have 25 million of cap space. I'd cut him if you could but you cant. Think of what they could do for the D with 25 million.

Can't trade Dez unless you're getting and equal talent on D.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we will see. Things like this are cyclical, and I see the league moving from a throwing focus to a running focus as everyone gets lighter on the DL and more speed for the WR. Defense always follows offense, and I think we are seeing a turn for the ground game.

Fournette is loving what Zeek is doing.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo can't be traded cause I don't think any teams that are close to challenging for a SB have 25 million of cap space. I'd cut him if you could but you cant. Think of what they could do for the D with 25 million.

Can't trade Dez unless you're getting and equal talent on D.

There are lots of options to save us money next year. There are options for him to retire, for him to "wink wink retire" then cut, or we can cut him after the season and pre-6/1. Al of those would save us money next year. Or if we just want to be done with him we could cut him and take a mass hit next year with it being done at that point.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 NFL Player Passing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

250ypg is 4,000 for the year. 18 QBs are above that and another 6 are within 10 yards of it. Plus look at the trades teams have given up to find that next QB.

I wouldn't hold my breadth waiting for that shift back to running and this coming from a guy that LOVES running the ball.
It's hard to say but I agree the days of pound, pound, pound won't be coming back. Teams like Dallas are considered huge running teams and that's 50/50 run/pass ratio. I remain on the fence post with regards to a top 10 receiver, mostly because the game as evolved to numbers left/right of center. The short pass for 3 or 4 yards is itself like a running play in today's game and picks within 5 to 7 yards in everyones play book

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fournette is loving what Zeek is doing.

Yup. As are Mixon and Perine, MCcCaffrey, and every other top RB. 6 months ago it looked like RB's weren't going to be a position anymore but that should be changing.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are lots of options to save us money next year. There are options for him to retire, for him to "wink wink retire" then cut, or we can cut him after the season and pre-6/1. Al of those would save us money next year. Or if we just want to be done with him we could cut him and take a mass hit next year with it being done at that point.
18M and around 5M in savings towards the cap OR post June 1 can split the 18M over two years.

Options glore

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. As are Mixon and Perine, MCcCaffrey, and every other top RB. 6 months ago it looked like RB's weren't going to be a position anymore but that should be changing.

Kind of hoping the wealth of RB talent leads to Chubb dropping to round 2. Love that kid. Valedictorian of his high school too.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance JJ let's Romo go. He can't chance him going to another team in the NFC. Can you imagine Romo on another NFC team playing against our defense in the playoffs. Do y'all remember Coach Wade Phillips last game. It would be a similar outcome

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even worse, imagine the Skins and Giants getting sick of the bull crap they send out at QB every week and decide they want him. Once is a freaking bad dream. Twice a year though would be a bed pissing nightmare

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance JJ let's Romo go. He can't chance him going to another team in the NFC. Can you imagine Romo on another NFC team playing against our defense in the playoffs. Do y'all remember Coach Wade Phillips last game. It would be a similar outcome
He's closer to being gone than staying. If he doesn't touch the field this year he's gone, if he plays and doesn't play well he's gone, hell he can play well and still be gone. I try to never say never when it comes to the NFL, but i will say it here. Dallas won't pay Rome 20M to hold a clip board in 17.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's closer to being gone than staying. If he doesn't touch the field this year he's gone, if he plays and doesn't play well he's gone, hell he can play well and still be gone. I try to never say never when it comes to the NFL, but i will say it here. Dallas won't pay Rome 20M to hold a clip board in 17.

Well, they had better make the right decision. I know Romo has mentioned he did not want to play for anyone else but that's easy to say until you don't have a job. He is too competive to walk away unless he is getting new feedback from the doctors

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ArizonA and Denver look like a nice landing spot for him. Chicago , Jets , Miami as well but he wants to win. Houston would be interesting. I hate to say it but I could see him wearing Skin clothes too

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only funny thing would be if he was sent to the Seahawks. To see their fans all flip from "romo is a choker" to "romo is the best backup in the league" :pound:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even worse, imagine the Skins and Giants getting sick of the bull crap they send out at QB every week and decide they want him. Once is a freaking bad dream. Twice a year though would be a bed pissing nightmare

I honestly don't think Tony can make it through a season. He was hurt trying to avoid a hit. I know it was a freak thing, but he doesn't have the mobility and flexibility to correctly get to the ground or take a hit without tearing something else. I think if he were to start seriously rehabbing and stretching and getting in shape right now, he could be a healthy QB to start next season. But he keeps coming off injuries and surgeries and going right back in there. He is too old to be able to do that. He needs to REALLY get healthy, and not just "well".

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Easy to say when it isn't my money, but if Romo isn't a distraction then I'd LOVE to have him as my backup next year. With a cheap starter you can afford that, as unconventional as it would be. A backup making 40x the starter. HA. But then if something did happen to Dak and he missed 3 weeks I would feel more than comfortable that Romo could come in and play for 3 weeks. It's just the "whole season" that frightens me.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ArizonA and Denver look like a nice landing spot for him. Chicago , Jets , Miami as well but he wants to win. Houston would be interesting. I hate to say it but I could see him wearing Skin clothes too

Houston is the one that frightens me. They could dump Brock pretty easily and take on Romo's salary. With a healthy defense and their WR's, he could do well for them. It would be a smart move to gamble on his health, and an easy move for Tony, He wouldn't even need to move, could easily just commute on a 45 minute flight.