• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some possible changes to my league

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And again, no replies from Harold, Pride, and Treff.

So last year my team had the highest scoring team in the league. Consistency has always been my motto over burst. This unfortunately can backfire in the playoffs if too consistent as someone tends to blow up in fantasy playoffs and the biggest unpredictability is a receiver. However, Carr stunk in the game I lost because of facing Bosa, and TyWill's injury started to affect him. Who saw it coming when Cooks went off against a team who shut him down last year and after weeks where the saints were in a slump?

Now here's another point. I had third best record in the league and won all the tie-breakers. I should not have had to play the top seed. And this brings me to my proposed changes.

I am considering cutting down the divisions to 2, that way a second best team in divisions do not get screwed from being seeded lower than a lower record. Last year I beat the third seed head to head and ended up as the fifth seed. But this could only occur if I decided to cut down the playoff teams from 6 to 4. It would mean 8 people would miss the playoffs and last year 7 people were in the running week 13 for six playoff spots. One other person had one of the highest scoring teams but had bad luck. The eliminated person and myself would have won a week 14. The top two finishers in one division would have lost, but it would still put one in the playoffs. The top seed would have lost as well but he beat me both times head to head and he would end up the second seed and I would have been the wild card. What would have happened is a team better than the third seed division winner would miss out and three people with 8-6, 8-6, and 9-5 records would miss out. The third seed division winner had one of the luckiest teams all season battling injuries and ended up with the trophy making him the first two-time winner in the league. However, had he not had the third seed, he would have been fourth and had to deal with the Cooks blowup instead of myself. I would have been to the title game.

No way should I have had to play the top seed in the divisional round. This screwed my season up and robbed me of my rightful title. I can only make it where only four teams get in and there would be two divisions of six teams or maybe still have it six teams but only two divisions. I would like to go to 10 teams but have too many loyal people and don't want to cut anyone who's been good players. Therefore, I'm stuck with 12 teams.

By going four teams, it moves teams down from having to have it right three weeks in a row to two weeks in a row.

Another is the waiver rule. It's been inverse standings every year and now I'm actually considering changing that to first to last waiver claim. Some people wait until after the waiver claims on first go to pick players up. They do this to see who ends up getting dropped. I did it myself often. This rule would absolutely hurt those who waste their waiver picks on unimportant players. I did not understand this process early on but now I do.

These proposed changes are most important to me and to ensure someone deserving ends up with the title.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think whoever won was the most deserving...

Reactions: DUB

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if i replied, and SP, and Harold, would he report us to Harold?

Simplest solution is to use divisions to determine playoff teams, then reseed the teams based on record, or points whichever you prefer, disregarding divisions.

Your on your own on the waivers, imho, your already using the fairest system

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I think changing the playoff rules, or any rules for that matter, sends the message that you're manipulating the league to get your way.

In the league I run we reseed the playoff teams like the NFL does it.

I understand that you're probably frustrated that you didn't win the title after dominating all season. But that's the joy and angst of fantasy football. It emulates the real NFL. Some of the best offenses don't even make the playoffs in the NFL!!

Don't get me wrong, points are important, but head-to-head competition is the defining moment of any sport. Win or lose. Throughout sports history, teams that didn't have a chance on paper beat the odds. Like the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team.

There are no guarantees in sports. Sounds like you're trying to create one.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't you try talking to the guys in your league and getting their input on any rule changes? Make a proposal and get your league to vote on it. That would be the fair thing to do. It doesn't matter what some random guys on the Internet think. It should matter what the actual guys in your league think and how they want it to be run.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in all honesty make the waiver change with approval of your league, the playoffs is what it is , you set it up that way, now your upset because it affected you.again league vote for changes. its only fair

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if i replied, and SP, and Harold, would he report us to Harold?

Simplest solution is to use divisions to determine playoff teams, then reseed the teams based on record, or points whichever you prefer, disregarding divisions.

Your on your own on the waivers, imho, your already using the fairest system

I don't think I can do that in a free league.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And again, no replies from Harold, Pride, and Treff.

So last year my team had the highest scoring team in the league. Consistency has always been my motto over burst. This unfortunately can backfire in the playoffs if too consistent as someone tends to blow up in fantasy playoffs and the biggest unpredictability is a receiver. However, Carr stunk in the game I lost because of facing Bosa, and TyWill's injury started to affect him. Who saw it coming when Cooks went off against a team who shut him down last year and after weeks where the saints were in a slump?

Now here's another point. I had third best record in the league and won all the tie-breakers. I should not have had to play the top seed. And this brings me to my proposed changes.

I am considering cutting down the divisions to 2, that way a second best team in divisions do not get screwed from being seeded lower than a lower record. Last year I beat the third seed head to head and ended up as the fifth seed. But this could only occur if I decided to cut down the playoff teams from 6 to 4. It would mean 8 people would miss the playoffs and last year 7 people were in the running week 13 for six playoff spots. One other person had one of the highest scoring teams but had bad luck. The eliminated person and myself would have won a week 14. The top two finishers in one division would have lost, but it would still put one in the playoffs. The top seed would have lost as well but he beat me both times head to head and he would end up the second seed and I would have been the wild card. What would have happened is a team better than the third seed division winner would miss out and three people with 8-6, 8-6, and 9-5 records would miss out. The third seed division winner had one of the luckiest teams all season battling injuries and ended up with the trophy making him the first two-time winner in the league. However, had he not had the third seed, he would have been fourth and had to deal with the Cooks blowup instead of myself. I would have been to the title game.

No way should I have had to play the top seed in the divisional round. This screwed my season up and robbed me of my rightful title. I can only make it where only four teams get in and there would be two divisions of six teams or maybe still have it six teams but only two divisions. I would like to go to 10 teams but have too many loyal people and don't want to cut anyone who's been good players. Therefore, I'm stuck with 12 teams.

By going four teams, it moves teams down from having to have it right three weeks in a row to two weeks in a row.

Another is the waiver rule. It's been inverse standings every year and now I'm actually considering changing that to first to last waiver claim. Some people wait until after the waiver claims on first go to pick players up. They do this to see who ends up getting dropped. I did it myself often. This rule would absolutely hurt those who waste their waiver picks on unimportant players. I did not understand this process early on but now I do.

These proposed changes are most important to me and to ensure someone deserving ends up with the title.

If there is one thing I have learned over the years in fantasy football, it's that no matter how you do the playoffs, the best team will not always win. It's just inevitable. I'm a much bigger believer that skill gets you to the playoffs, but a lot of luck determines who actually wins the championship, which is the same reason that I pay all six spots that make the playoffs in my league instead of making it top heavy and only paying a couple of spots. I just think that by changing the playoff seeding procedures because of what happened last year, you are opening up a can of worms saying that if lose again this year, you're going to change the rules again. Even in the scenario you are saying, while last year it would have worked out that you would have won it, this year somebody else could blow up against you in a playoff game and there's just nothing you can do about it. There's just no way possible to ever guarantee that the best team will win the championship unless you want to revamp the whole system and just not play head to head at all and the team with the most overall points at the end of the season is the winner. I think getting some feedback from other owners in the league is a great idea, but you know them better than us. In the past, do they just pretty much let you run the league and whatever you decide they are fine with? Or is there active participation in the rule making by everybody or most in the league? I think everybody on this forum is going to have their own preference for 12 team leagues. There are also other things to think about when you start messing with the number in each division, for instance, right now, with three weeks of playoffs and three divisions, you either have to play everybody in the division twice and every other team but one once, or you play two of the teams in your division twice and the other one once and play every other team once. Either way is not exactly a fair way to schedule, but it's what you have to do with that scenario. What sucks is if you go down to two divisions of six teams, you have the same kind of scheduling problems because now if you play all the division teams twice (10 games) you only play four of the other division teams once and don't play two teams at all, so it's really hard deciding what a "fair" schedule is. The only fair way to do the divisions from a scheduling standpoint is three divisions of four teams and four teams make the playoffs so then you play everybody in your division twice and all the other teams once. Now with that being said, I have three divisions of four teams and have six make the playoffs and I go with the two teams twice in your division and the other team in your division once and play every other team once method. In mine though, where you choose to draft determines your division, and determines which team you will only play once in the division.

I know this is really long, but just keep in mind that there are other factors that going to two divisions of six teams would bring into play. Let's say with two weeks to go you have a record 7-5 and you play the top two teams in your division who are both 9-3 after twelve weeks and you have to win both games to make the playoffs because the top team in the other division is 10-2. There is one other team in the other division that is 8-4 and even though you hold the tiebreaker over him, his last two games are against the bottom two records in the entire league who are both 2-10. Now not only has the other guy got to play the worst two teams in the league twice each, but those just happen to be the two teams that you didn't even get to play at all this year because of the luck of the schedule. That's just one of the ways that you can still get screwed no matter what you do with the divisions and number of playoff teams.

On your other note, I've always been a make your waiver claim and move to the end of the line guy, which is the opposite of Treff. He believes that it's more fair for the bottom teams to be able to improve since they have the worst record, and I see that side also, but I just don't think being at the top of waivers each week is enough to turn a bad team and bad owner around. I like the idea of having to think about whether using your waiver priority is worth it for a guy.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes by doing two divisions of six teams I would only play four teams in other division once. What I also plan to do is cut down on early wastable draft picks by not targeting any receiver for the sake of needing one over a more reliable position. I'm done drafting last years whose names are not Brown, Beckham, Green, Cooks, and Baldwin.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eat bricks Julio Jones, you 1 hit wonder, don't have time for you in '17

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have the other two who are a little bit better and more consistent. Jones is sixth on my list behind DJ, Bell, Brown, ODB, and McCoy.