• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

some fantasy advice

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in a 12 team keeper league with no bench... We start 23 players C,C,1B,2B,3B,SS,CI,MI,5OF,DH,9Pitchers

We keep up to 10 players... WE do an auction, and players are kept for whatever they were worth in the auction...

Players can be kept for up to 3 years at the same units of original auction, but after the 2nd season of a player being on your team you have an option to keep him for longer, at that point it is 5 units per season...
for an example I own Paul Goldshmidt... I paid 5 units for him 2 seasons ago, so i have the option now to extend his contract...
5 for 3 years is the contract now- 10 for 4 years,15 for 5 years,etc...

I have 3 borderline keepers that i want advice on...

Jason Castro 6 units
Jedd Gyorko 7 units
anthony rendon 4 units
-each if kept will be their 2nd year on my team
We have a 260 unit budget at auction...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two catcher league, I think I'd have to lean toward Castro. I get the hype and potential upside with the other two, but I believe Castro to be the safer choice.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two catcher league, I think I'd have to lean toward Castro. I get the hype and potential upside with the other two, but I believe Castro to be the safer choice.

I could keep them all if i need... i just want more information on the 3, and reasons if one is not a good keeper...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in a 12 team keeper league with no bench... We start 23 players C,C,1B,2B,3B,SS,CI,MI,5OF,DH,9Pitchers

We keep up to 10 players... WE do an auction, and players are kept for whatever they were worth in the auction...

Players can be kept for up to 3 years at the same units of original auction, but after the 2nd season of a player being on your team you have an option to keep him for longer, at that point it is 5 units per season...
for an example I own Paul Goldshmidt... I paid 5 units for him 2 seasons ago, so i have the option now to extend his contract...
5 for 3 years is the contract now- 10 for 4 years,15 for 5 years,etc...

I have 3 borderline keepers that i want advice on...

Jason Castro 6 units
Jedd Gyorko 7 units
anthony rendon 4 units
-each if kept will be their 2nd year on my team
We have a 260 unit budget at auction...

The only issue I see here is with Castro, and his inability to stay healthy for long stretches. I would make sure to keep Gyorko, as I think he is still on the rise production wise, and, in some leagues, he provides good flexability, being slotted at both 2B & 3B.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only issue I see here is with Castro, and his inability to stay healthy for long stretches. I would make sure to keep Gyorko, as I think he is still on the rise production wise, and, in some leagues, he provides good flexability, being slotted at both 2B & 3B.

I agree with both. Castro's health problems could be an issue, but he is also playing for a contract and in a two catcher league, I'd lean toward him. I love Gyorko. He killed me down the stretch last year, but I think he has a ton of potential, plus, as D stated, position eligibility. Rendon? Let's see if Philabuster weighs in on this one.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could keep them all if i need... i just want more information on the 3, and reasons if one is not a good keeper...

well, in that case, I would say the cheaper the better, so Rendon is probably nice value... Gyorko has the highest ceiling, IMO so he is worth to travel into the teen-units with, but I'd probably just let Castro run out his contract.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would keep Castro because it is a 2 C league. 6 seems like a better price than you would get in the auction.

Gyorko at 7 is a good value too. His 2B eligibility makes him worth 9-10 with upside for more if he gets his HR swing on track early on.

I would not extend either player, but their prices this year are good. I do not think Rendon is worth more than $2-3 and since you already have a 2B you don't need him. I would target a better option in the auction to fill your MI spot.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd keep Gyorko, virtually at any cost.
Castro this year, and then re-evaluate
Rendon? Ehh.. Not for me.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Castro and Gyorko.
I really like Rendon too though. I'd be surprised if he didn't out-produce Gyorko long term. The problem is, by the time it happens you'll have him for $9 and $14.
He's a decent gamble at $4 though if your league puts a premium on MI. I suspect it does. While his value may not come out if this is a 5x5 league, $4 is really a tiny amount to wager on his kind of talent. 80/15/65/4/.280 would be my optimistic forecast for 2014. His ceiling is higher down the road.
It comes down to your other options for me, if you have the luxury to use a keeper spot on a small risk for a guy with big upside, though at a position you may not need, all the while knowing his value won't be so great down the road. And there it is: my longest sentence of 2014. :)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks guys... Now, i am more comfortable keeping them if i need to... the keeper trade window has not opened yet, i do plan on making trades, and hopefully trading one of these guys... but at least now, i am more comfortable keeping them if need be...

I also have Everth Cabrera at 5 units this is an extension year-which i wont extend him, which means this is the last year of him...

My worst case scenario, which is now, i would have my 3 MI as Gyorko rendon and Cabrera as 3 of my 10 keepers... I am actually pretty happy about that...