• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"So you're saying there's a chance", what would be your playoff odds right now?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then like I said, you're telling teams like Minnesota to not even bother. The committee has to base things on this actual year. Given what I've seen from Bama's defense, I think Minnesota could absolutely put up points. In the end, would it be enough? Probably not. However, before last weekend I don't know if anyone would've kept Penn State out over Bama if they had more ranked wins and played for the conference title, and we saw what happened to them vs. Minnesota.

No you're not. You're telling them not to lose...or to build up a better program over a long period of time.

Again, regardless, I just don't think Minnesota will be in the discussion in a few weeks.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe...I just have a tough time being too hard on a team who lost to the number #1 team in the country. Minnesota would have an argument as Ohio State would likely be the #2 team in the country, but the committee has stated that their objective is to determine who they think are the best four teams in the country. I can't imagine any of them would choose Minnesota over Bama if they have the same record and both are not conference champions.
I'm not so sure they would either and that's an issue as Bama would have done nothing on the field that would make them more worthy than Minnesota.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eye test = "I have nothing factual to support my opinion"
How the committee simultaneously uses SOS and eye test to tell why they placed teams where they are because ‘we felt they were better’.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure they would either and that's an issue as Bama would have done nothing on the field that would make them more worthy than Minnesota.

It's not a matter of who is more worthy, from my understanding. If all things are equal (record wise, and conference championship wise), if the committee has to choose between those two teams, they will likely choose who they think is the better team. I just don't think very many people would object to Bama getting a spot over Minny. Maybe I'd be wrong. I'd rather Minny get the spot.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you're not. You're telling them not to lose...or to build up a better program over a long period of time.

Again, regardless, I just don't think Minnesota will be in the discussion in a few weeks.
And that's a load of bullshit.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I'm not in the committee so perhaps they would choose differently, but there isn't a sane person on this message board that would bet on Minnesota winning against Bama if the two teams played. I've always been under the impression that the committee's sole job is to determine who they think are the best four teams. Obviously the team's record and accomplishments has a say in it, but I just don't see how they could say that, and then choose Minnesota over Bama when both teams would have the same record and no conference championship. Especially when both losses would have been against the two top ranked teams in the country.

Regardless, Minnesota is going to lose more than one game, and if they make it to the B10 Championship, they will likely lose by 3+ TD's (although it would be interesting if it was a rematch with Penn State). I hope I'm wrong, but I'm right.
so just discount Minnesota would have the more impressive wins? And it's not all about who the best team is because we don't know. We only know what each team did. In that scenario, we know each team lost to maybe the top team in the country. We know one team won a division, one didn't. We know the team who won their division has better wins than the one who didn't. We also know the team who won their division only has a loss because they played an extra game the other team did not have to play.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But telling Bama go ahead and lose, we'll forgive you?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a matter of who is more worthy, from my understanding. If all things are equal (record wise, and conference championship wise), if the committee has to choose between those two teams, they will likely choose who they think is the better team. I just don't think very many people would object to Bama getting a spot over Minny. Maybe I'd be wrong. I'd rather Minny get the spot.
I'm sure they could justify it. But really what they'd be saying without saying it is "they are Bama, you are Minnesota."

And you ignore Minnesota only has the same record and a loss because they'd have played an extra game that Bama could have watched from their couch?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But telling Bama go ahead and lose, we'll forgive you?

Again, I may be wrong. Maybe the committee would choose a one loss, non conference champ Minnesota over a one loss, non conference champ Bama.

I hope you're right. I just would have to see it to believe it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably, but I think it's true. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I think that is how the playoffs work right now.
I don't doubt this could and maybe does happen.....but it's not how it should work. I mean, if Bama had more quality wins than just Auburn? OK. Different story. Hell, maybe even if they played FSU OOC. A bad team but at least the effort was made to schedule a team with a pulse.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if OP is serious or if he really wasted what looks like a lot of time putting together random numbers and thoughts?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I may be wrong. Maybe the committee would choose a one loss, non conference champ Minnesota over a one loss, non conference champ Bama.

I hope you're right. I just would have to see it to believe it.
If you are saying it's what the committee will do (take bama in this scenario) but not what they should do I cannot really disagree with you.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they could justify it. But really what they'd be saying without saying it is "they are Bama, you are Minnesota."

And you ignore Minnesota only has the same record and a loss because they'd have played an extra game that Bama could have watched from their couch?

I'd love to see that scenario and compare their SOS.

The bottom line is that Bama is still #5 with one loss, and Minnesota is #8 undefeated. That should tell you what the committee thinks about the two teams right now.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if OP is serious or if he really wasted what looks like a lot of time putting together random numbers and thoughts?

You're welcome to post your own. I'd love to see them.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably, but I think it's true. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I think that is how the playoffs work right now.
If that's how the committee works, they all need to be fired immediately.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are saying it's what the committee will do (take bama in this scenario) but not what they should do I cannot really disagree with you.

I'm indifferent. I just don't believe Minnesota would give us the best playoff team right now. I felt the same way about Notre Dame last year, but they were undefeated so what could they do?

I wouldn't care if Minnesota made it over Bama. I'd like to see a change of scenery.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt this could and maybe does happen.....but it's not how it should work. I mean, if Bama had more quality wins than just Auburn? OK. Different story. Hell, maybe even if they played FSU OOC. A bad team but at least the effort was made to schedule a team with a pulse.

I'd like to compare both teams SOS first. I would imagine that Minnesota would have a better SOS, but we may be surprised by how comparable they may be.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's how the committee works, they all need to be fired immediately.

I think they've done a pretty good job so far. I'm glad they kept Ohio State out last year, even though I think that they were likely a better team than Notre Dame last year. I'm petty like that! :)

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're welcome to post your own. I'd love to see them.
Your percentage is ridiculous and it's very simple.

LSU wins out (100% in)
Clemson wins out (100% in...no idea why you'd post 99%, adds to my confusion to your percentages)
Georgia wins out (100% in..obviously that mean they beat LSU)
LSU wins out but loses to Georgia (95% of getting in)
Ohio state wins out (100% getting in)
Minnesota wins out (100% getting in)
Oregon wins out (98% of getting in)
Utah wins out (98% of getting in)
Alabama wins out (80% of getting in)
Oklahoma wins out (85% getting in)
Baylor wins out (95% of getting in)