• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So now we have no defensive stopper

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the youngins played better than the old codgers who are always hurt...get rid of some of the old, oft injured, expensive waste of D men. play the kids, they seem to know how to play team D. great win.

And F Thornton for capitulating after his ambush of Orpik and slewfoot/beatdown, and now appealing his suspension. Lost a lot of respect for that B-turd

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumoulin is a stud, why haven't we used him until now?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW I'm beginning to think Scouty is right about Letang. I think Nisky has been our best dman so far this season. Almost wish we could trade Tang away but a team would have to be really stupid to pick up his contract.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the youngins played better than the old codgers who are always hurt...get rid of some of the old, oft injured, expensive waste of D men. play the kids, they seem to know how to play team D. great win.

And F Thornton for capitulating after his ambush of Orpik and slewfoot/beatdown, and now appealing his suspension. Lost a lot of respect for that B-turd

Agreed, would like to see them move Martin or Letang. They need cap space, and they have replacements.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW I'm beginning to think Scouty is right about Letang. I think Nisky has been our best dman so far this season. Almost wish we could trade Tang away but a team would have to be really stupid to pick up his contract.

Someone would trade for him, if they are going to do it, it needs to be done this summer before his no-trade clause kicks in.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, would like to see them move Martin or Letang. They need cap space, and they have replacements.

They'll have to move Martin. No team in their right mind would trade for Letang right now.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone would trade for him, if they are going to do it, it needs to be done this summer before his no-trade clause kicks in.

With a contract like the one Tang has got I don't think a NTC is even necessary. No one is going to trade for him, he's the highest paid dman who can't play defense. Why would anyone trade for that?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a contract like the one Tang has got I don't think a NTC is even necessary. No one is going to trade for him, he's the highest paid dman who can't play defense. Why would anyone trade for that?

Someone traded for Scott Gomez a few years ago he was making 7 million and was a bad player.

Letang might be worth it to a young up and coming team that doesn't have to worry about contract dollars right now. I bet Buffalo, Calgary, or Edmonton would be interested.

I'd love to see the Pens reign him in, but that doesn't seem like it's ever gonna happen. Seems like he doesn't put much into his defensive responsibilities. The guys who are truly worth 7 million play both facets of the game within the team system, Suter, Subban, Chara, Weber.

Letang is more in the Boyle, Karlsson, Campbell, Byfuglien mold of guys with massive defensive flaws but point producers.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone traded for Scott Gomez a few years ago he was making 7 million and was a bad player.

Letang might be worth it to a young up and coming team that doesn't have to worry about contract dollars right now. I bet Buffalo, Calgary, or Edmonton would be interested.

I'd love to see the Pens reign him in, but that doesn't seem like it's ever gonna happen. Seems like he doesn't put much into his defensive responsibilities. The guys who are truly worth 7 million play both facets of the game within the team system, Suter, Subban, Chara, Weber.

Letang is more in the Boyle, Karlsson, Campbell, Byfuglien mold of guys with massive defensive flaws but point producers.

I hope you're right, I was a big fan of Tang before he signed that contract. Now I would rather just dump the contract.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say, if you can't trade Tang to a Western team, make him a winger! Bring up Doumolin or Samuelson to replace him on D. Trade Martin when he gets back and is playing a few games.

Oh, and fire away, but I think Engelland has been a good presence on D this year!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say, if you can't trade Tang to a Western team, make him a winger! Bring up Doumolin or Samuelson to replace him on D. Trade Martin when he gets back and is playing a few games.

Oh, and fire away, but I think Engelland has been a good presence on D this year!

Not gonna hate on Engelland, but he takes away a roster spot which could be used for Despres, Dumoulin, Samuelsson, Harrington, Ruopp, or Pouliot.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt anyone will be traded, Letang's contract is a complete albatross and Martin only has one year after this one. Niskanen and Orpik are probably both gone after this season. I think next year we might see Letang-Scuds, Martin-Maata, and Bortuzzo-Despres.

Also, not trying to rain on the parade here, but these young guys don't have that much NHL experience and will probably be susceptible to ups and downs like every other young player. They've been largely impressive thus far, but I wouldn't be trying to push some of the older guys out the door just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really was surprised to see this move to an appeal. Not for one second did I think the NHLPA would be willing to pursue an appeal on this because this wasn't a hockey-play gone wrong.

Rather, this was an assault that happened to take place on a hockey rink. It didn't occur in the heat of the moment with time ticking away. This situation took place while the game was stopped, and one man traveled about 50 yards to attack another man from behind.

I know that the new CBA has a clause in it that allows for an independent appeal for any ban over six games, but again, this wasn't a hockey play gone terribly wrong. In just about 99.9% of settings other than a hockey rink that this could have also occurred in, the accused would've been been read his rights and taken to jail to await judgment in a court of law.

Big brass are had by all around for this to be further dragged through the mud :tsk:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt anyone will be traded, Letang's contract is a complete albatross and Martin only has one year after this one. Niskanen and Orpik are probably both gone after this season. I think next year we might see Letang-Scuds, Martin-Maata, and Bortuzzo-Despres.

Also, not trying to rain on the parade here, but these young guys don't have that much NHL experience and will probably be susceptible to ups and downs like every other young player. They've been largely impressive thus far, but I wouldn't be trying to push some of the older guys out the door just yet.

I agree with that grouping next year and not much wrong with it, how Maata and Despres are playing.

After next year Maata, Despres and Bortuzzo will have 2+ years of experience and if Dumoulin/Samuelsson get action this year and next. Then Pouliot getting experience next year they will have some playing time behind them.

After next year I don't think the Penguins will have much to worry about (if all goes as planned): Letang/Scuderi, Maata/Despres, Samuelsson/Bortuzzo/Dumoulin with Pouliot on the way.
What is amazing is the fact out of that group only 1 wasn't drafted by the Penguins in Dumoulin.

Then we can't forget about Harrington, Roupp, McNeill and D'Agostino. All who in some rankings project to be better than Samuelsson and well past Bortuzzo.

Nice to have a good future projection at defense and if that plan does fall correctly Pouliot probably will push Letang to forward, unfortunately with that contract (unless a stupid GM comes calling) he is a Penguin for a long while.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really was surprised to see this move to an appeal. Not for one second did I think the NHLPA would be willing to pursue an appeal on this because this wasn't a hockey-play gone wrong.

Rather, this was an assault that happened to take place on a hockey rink. It didn't occur in the heat of the moment with time ticking away. This situation took place while the game was stopped, and one man traveled about 50 yards to attack another man from behind.

I know that the new CBA has a clause in it that allows for an independent appeal for any ban over six games, but again, this wasn't a hockey play gone terribly wrong. In just about 99.9% of settings other than a hockey rink that this could have also occurred in, the accused would've been been read his rights and taken to jail to await judgment in a court of law.

Big brass are had by all around for this to be further dragged through the mud :tsk:

Completely agree. It also makes me kind of mad to hear everyone talking about how good of a person Thornton is and how he "didn't mean for that to happen". I don't see how you can't mean for something like that to happen when you have a premeditated attack on a player from behind and punch him while he's on the ice. IMO Thornton was obviously trying to inflict injury on someone and I think that he got off lightly with 15 games. Bertuzzi did a similar thing a while ago and was suspended the rest of the season if i remember correctly.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What pisses me off, is that morons use Kneel's actions and the great hit by Orpik as a tangent/excuse. Kneel's action was bad, but Thornton's is all on him and there is no comparison.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL ever since Tang went down we got 6 defensive stoppers.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brendan Mikkelson is a good 5th or 6th d man I wished the lightning would have kept him he is pretty solid.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brendan Mikkelson is a good 5th or 6th d man I wished the lightning would have kept him he is pretty solid.

Yeah, he's actually been our best dman down on the farm this season.