• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So now we have no defensive stopper

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Scud goes down, now Orpik. Who does that leave at the blue line?

Kris Letang: great offensive dman, not so much known for defense (especially in front of the net)

Matt Niskanen: slightly better defensively than Tang, but not by much

Deryk Engelland: physical but can't skate very well

Olli Maatta: been solid so far, but he's only 19, can't expect him to anchor the defense

Simon Despres: right now, he just might be the closest thing to a defensive anchor on the team

Robert Burtuzzo: we obviously need to inject him into the lineup, maybe he could be like Despres?

Doobster is thinking we might have to make some more call ups. Brendan Mikkelson, Scott Harrington, Brian Dumoulin, and/or Philipe Samuelsson.

No matter what, things are going to be tough going forward. MAF needs to step up, our offense will have to be more productive, and we have to find a way to tighten up defensively as a team. Really sucky, but that's life being a Pens fan I guess :gaah:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying for a while now that Bylsma is clearly mishandling Bortuzzo's development from a minor league player to an NHL caliber D-man. Now, Bylsma really has no choice but to insert Borts into the lineup as I'm sure Orpik is going to be out for a couple games as he recuperates from his on-ice mugging.

The shame of it is Bortuzzo is only going to get his next chance out of necessity now and not because he 'earned' it. IMO, Borts should have been in more than just a handful of starts to this point, but Bylsma loves his plugger Engelland. Now we will see if Danny's lack of urgency to get Bortuzzo more playing time will backfire in his face as I can already guess Bortuzzo's confidence is at an all-time low.

In the grand scheme of things, this could be a huge benefit for guys like Despres and Maatta, as they now move up to first and second pairing types to go with Letang and Niskanen. They are going to be counted on a heck of a lot more for these next couple of weeks, and from what I have seen of them so far, they are capable of it.

This also might get Dumoulin or Samuelsson their first taste of the NHL, as they're going to be in need of a new 7th man.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is extremely problematic. Without Scud, Martin, & Orpik our dmen will struggle to defend our own zone. We're probably going to have to score 4-5 goals per game to have a chance at winning going forward.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doobster's defensive parings going forward,

D1: Letang - Despres
D2: Niskanen - Bortuzzo
D3: Maatta - Engelland

Hopefully Dumoulin or Samuelsson get called up to play instead of Engelland, doubt it tho. Engelland is Disco's favorite player it seems.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect MAF to step up. He'll fold like he usually does in pressure situations.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is extremely problematic. Without Scud, Martin, & Orpik our dmen will struggle to defend our own zone. We're probably going to have to score 4-5 goals per game to have a chance at winning going forward.

Look at the positives Doob

Olli Maatta and Despres have already shown they have legit skill and ability to play in the NHL. This is only going to benefit them in the long haul by being asked to take on additional responsibility. Doesn't mean they won't suffer from some mistakes with the extra playing time, but in long run, this could end up paying dividends by April. Injuries are a part of the game. Pittsburgh is lucky to have these blue-chip like D-men waiting to get their shot. Now is the time.

Also, Bortuzzo can get his ass out of the press box and back in the lineup for a couple of games where he belongs.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect MAF to step up. He'll fold like he usually does in pressure situations.

We'll see, I have faith in Flower Power.

Olli Maatta and Despres have already shown they have legit skill and ability to play in the NHL. This is only going to benefit them in the long haul by being asked to take on additional responsibility. Doesn't mean they won't suffer from some mistakes with the extra playing time, but in long run, this could end up paying dividends by April. Injuries are a part of the game. Pittsburgh is lucky to have these blue-chip like D-men waiting to get their shot. Now is the time.

Also, Bortuzzo can get his ass out of the press box and back in the lineup for a couple of games where he belongs.

True, I always wanted to see guys like Despres, Bortuzzo, Dumoulin, Harrington, Samuelsson, Ruopp, and/or Pouliot to get a chance. Got my wish. Just hope we get Orpik & Scud back by playoff time.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doobster's defensive parings going forward,

D1: Letang - Despres
D2: Niskanen - Bortuzzo
D3: Maatta - Engelland

Hopefully Dumoulin or Samuelsson get called up to play instead of Engelland, doubt it tho. Engelland is Disco's favorite player it seems.

I hope Samuelsson gets a shot also. From all accounts he makes his d-partner look so much better. Case in point Despres this year and Dumoulin last year in the playoffs. I guess speed is the only issue for him to make the NHL?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the lunacy of Engelland getting 2:37 of pp time last night, and Despres getting 9 seconds.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dan still has to play them. We have 5 defensemen last night after Orpik goes down, somehow Despres plays only 15 minutes. Whoever determines ice time for the defensemen needs to go.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just not a team built to win in the playoffs. They'll get in, maybe win a round or two, and then it all breaks down against teams like Boston that play a complete team system. The Pens get frustrated, they break down, repeat. And like I said earlier, what reason do we have in recent history to believe MAF will respond positively in the most pressure packed moments. None. This team lacks the discipline to play a dedicated system and they don't have clutch goaltending. We've all seen this before and nothing I've seen so far has changed my mind. I'm not trying to be overly negative, I'm trying to see things as they are. And, with how tight they are against the cap, there's not a lot of room for Silent Ray to try and fix this. This is a two star team and the only way I see this team winning is if 87 and 71 both simultaneously reach ludicrous levels we've all never seen before.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, if Engelland really did get almost 3 min in PP time, I'm going to cry myself to sleep. I can't even bring myself to look that up. If Engallend is American, he's a lock for the US roster.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just not a team built to win in the playoffs. They'll get in, maybe win a round or two, and then it all breaks down against teams like Boston that play a complete team system. The Pens get frustrated, they break down, repeat. And like I said earlier, what reason do we have in recent history to believe MAF will respond positively in the most pressure packed moments. None. This team lacks the discipline to play a dedicated system and they don't have clutch goaltending. We've all seen this before and nothing I've seen so far has changed my mind. I'm not trying to be overly negative, I'm trying to see things as they are. And, with how tight they are against the cap, there's not a lot of room for Silent Ray to try and fix this. This is a two star team and the only way I see this team winning is if 87 and 71 both simultaneously reach ludicrous levels we've all never seen before.

We lack depth that's for sure. Not a big fan of our back 2 lines this season.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, if Engelland really did get almost 3 min in PP time, I'm going to cry myself to sleep. I can't even bring myself to look that up. If Engallend is American, he's a lock for the US roster.

I really hope that stat isn't true.

:L

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Engelland did get time on the PP against Boston. I heard that the Pens organization wants Despres focusing on improving defensively so they don't let him play PP. I read that with the Baby Pens he hardly played the PP all year even though he was their best offensive D-man. Plus I heard that Scuds is skating and might start practicing as soon as next week. Orpik also flew home with team after Boston game, so I think that's a good sign he might not be out for that long of a time.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Engelland did get time on the PP against Boston. I heard that the Pens organization wants Despres focusing on improving defensively so they don't let him play PP. I read that with the Baby Pens he hardly played the PP all year even though he was their best offensive D-man. Plus I heard that Scuds is skating and might start practicing as soon as next week. Orpik also flew home with team after Boston game, so I think that's a good sign he might not be out for that long of a time.

I can at least understand the value of teaching Despres that he needs to be more responsible defensively if he wants to stick in the lineup. However, when you are at this level of competition shouldn't the goal be to do what gives you the best chance of winning? Bylsma puzzles me with his in-game decision making sometimes.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can at least understand the value of teaching Despres that he needs to be more responsible defensively if he wants to stick in the lineup. However, when you are at this level of competition shouldn't the goal be to do what gives you the best chance of winning? Bylsma puzzles me with his in-game decision making sometimes.

hobocop thanks and evolver i agree that makes perfect sense at WBS but winning in the NHL should be even more important and Despres gives them a WAY better shot on the PP than Engelland.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumoulin & Samuelsson tonight, the Doobster is looking forward to seeing what they can do.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one really looked out of place on the d-corps last night, it's nice going like 10 deep on NHL defensemen, but gotta figure out a way to best manage those assets.