• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

signing day is coming!!!

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carolina....from all of my sources, but they all told me that Hughes was UMD or us, so.....

That would be my guess. I still think its odd that this guy would verbally commit to a school that he has already committed to. The way he has been dicking us around I kinda hope he doesn't come to Blacksburg. This guy on Gobbler Country has seen some video and is not too impressed by him, (note: this post was mid Nov. before he started playing games). Now give it, he is not an NCAA recruiting expert/talent evaluator, etc. But I guess anyone that is somewhat knowledgable about football can make an educated opinion on whether someone looks worthy of being the #10 best QB in the country. I feel like LT is shown enough and is going to be the QB for the next 2-3 years barring major injury or just getting outplayed by someone (don't see that from anyone on the roster right now). Forget about this guy. Look forward to the Class of 2012 for a QB. Also, VT needs to be in Bucky Hodges' ear (class of '13) OFTEN for the next couple years. We can't let him get away to the SEC or for god's sake UNC..

"11b. Marquise Williams 6'3" 216lbs. QB Mallard Creek HS, Charlotte, NC (STATUS UPDATE: COMMITTED TO UNC)- Marquise wins the award for the most awkward looking football player I have ever seen hands down. His speed is hampered by how he runs. When he runs, his legs move side to side a from the knees down with a lot of wasted motion. Hopefully that's something coaches can iron out at the next level, but usually there isn't that much difference in changing your form and bad tendencies in how you run by the time you get to college. Marquise is listed as a Dual-Threat quarterback, but although he is probably a little bit faster than his listed 40 time of 4.73, he will not be able to consistently elude defensive players in college.

However, I am concerned a lot more about his passing game. His release is the most disconcerting thing about him. He gets a lot of sidearm motion in there and does not release the ball over the top. I think this accounts for some of his accuracy issues and his inconsistency in throwing the deep ball, because he doesn't have a lot of leverage since his arm is only 3/4 cocked. I sure hope this is something our coaches can work on or fix, but if they don't, I'm not confident at all in his ability to run an offense on the next level.

He throws a pretty good deep ball, but his accuracy needs to be improved. He has a tendency to put a lot of air under his throws. He throws A LOT of jump balls for his receivers where they have to make the play AND box out the defender and play a little defense to make sure they and not their opponent come down with the passes. That's a big no-no. He is sometimes very erratic, putting the same type of throw in different places, so his receivers can't know where he consistently puts a certain throw. This is accuracy issue amplified over short distances.

This kid is going to have A LOT of unforced fumbles in the backfield because he pats the ball with his left hand several times before he throws it, often on the move. Some quarterbacks do that for the rhythm or the feel, but Marquise goes haywire with it and does it almost like he requires it to make the throw. He reminds me a lot of Greg Boone coming out of high school in a smaller body.

Marquise is our best QB prospect left on the board according to Rivals, who has also recently promoted him to a 4-star prospect and the #10 ranked quarterback in the class. I don't know how, but maybe there is something I'm missing in every single video of his. We have to beat out UNC, Michigan, LSU and NC State to get him. I'm not that high on him, but with the addition of his HS WR to our class, all bets are on us to win his services. I expect Marquise to commit to the Hokies in the next couple of weeks."

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin newsome anyone???

I

Yeah, He is stuck WAY down on the depth chart at PSU. To hear that he was transferring would not shock, may even be probable. Think he would transfer to VT though (or try)?? Or would they even be open to it now?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
No matter if he ends up @ VT or not, i think MW has the foundation to be a great NCAA qb, he's fast, reasonably tall, has a decent arm, and enough speed to get him outa trouble. Sure he has a few kinks but most HS qb's do, the key will be how he develops. I agree with -t.o.p.- that he is inconsistent with his throws especially the deep ball and sometimes tries to throw the intermediate pass too hard which results in throwing high. The tapping the ball thing and the side arm must have gotten worked out because i watched quite a bit of his second to last game and some of the shrine bowl tonight ( in which he didnt play that great or at least when i was watching ) and didnt really see much side arm and definitely no ball tapping.

Bucky Hodges: This is a guy that we got on early and hopefully it pays off in the end. The way Logan turns out may play into BH's recruitment because they seem to be of similar build (BH is already a legit 6'3"-6'4"). The good thing is that we are already making a good impression with him and it always helps to be among the first schools that show interest. The bad thing is that this kid already has a lot of hype surrounding him so by the time he's a senior he will most likely have offers from just about everybody.

Kevin Newsome: im pretty sure that its official that he's transferring, i remember hearing it a while back and if you google "kevin newsome transferring" there is a ton of articles about it. The prob is our coaches told him that he could be a qb but he would have to put the work into it. He could have had the time sitting behind tyrod, but if he were to come in now he'd be behind every QB in the system and have less eligibility. So yeah we'd prob give him a shot, it would prob be a shot @ safety though.
BTW and maybe im wrong, but i think 46 was just saying maybe MW=KN
BTW2: imo like i said about MW, i think kevin newsome could have been a good QB. It just comes back to development. Could have been the penn st coaches or maybe the kid just didnt take well to coaching, that part we will prob never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, He is stuck WAY down on the depth chart at PSU. To hear that he was transferring would not shock, may even be probable. Think he would transfer to VT though (or try)?? Or would they even be open to it now?

No, newsome is transferring but going the 1aa route. I was more referring to the review of Williams being similar to what was said about Newsome. i still tend to think he will be successful on the next level and hope it is at Virginia Tech.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, newsome is transferring but going the 1aa route. I was more referring to the review of Williams being similar to what was said about Newsome. i still tend to think he will be successful on the next level and hope it is at Virginia Tech.

I'm following you now. Sorry for the misread. I guess we will find out about Williams sometime today. All of you have a Merry Christmas. Got a white one here!!!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Anyone have any news? Are we still in the dead period? cause its been quiet(except for the mw decision) as hell as far as recruiting lately.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dead period.

The target number is down to about 4:

Anthony
Knowles
Groom
McDermott

I assume a few more offers will go out to prep school linemen. Things are shutting down though. One more busy month and on to 2012.

saltrules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anthony is the key to whether this class is successful or not. If he ends up at VT, I call it a successful class, if not, it is disappointing. We need a top LB in this class desperately. I think its going to come down to Clemson and VT.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony is the key to whether this class is successful or not. If he ends up at VT, I call it a successful class, if not, it is disappointing. We need a top LB in this class desperately. I think its going to come down to Clemson and VT.

While I agree that Anthony is the guy who can make this class a gem, I do not necessarily think that he is a must get. I actually differ from a lot of other people in that I think we have a stockpile of good linebackers that are young. Bruce Taylor has (potentially) two more seasons. Williams, Edwards, Patterson, Clark, Laiti et al... are all very young and were good looking recruits. I think that the fact that we were in it for 3 of the top linebackers in the nation this year sort of skewed our perspective. I considered cornerback, tight end and running back ere much more key spots. We addressed two of the three. I also always think that one third of your class should be linemen, and while we bolstered the defensive side in this class, we missed on a lot of O linemen. Anthony would be fantastic, but overall I consider this class good but not great with or without him.

After signing day, I will post my thoughts on these guys, but let's just say that some are highly underrated and may surprise us.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After signing day, I will post my thoughts on these guys, but let's just say that some are highly underrated and may surprise us.

That is the thing with being a hokie, a class may not look that good based on the ratings but the coaches typically get what they need and coach them well.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Like always, it's way to early to assess a class, even on signing day. We won't know how good a class is until 2-3 years later. The 2005 class was considered one of our best and it was mediocre at best, while 2007 turned out to be one of our best after being filled with lackluster talent.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dead period.

The target number is down to about 4:

Anthony
Knowles
Groom
McDermott

I assume a few more offers will go out to prep school linemen. Things are shutting down though. One more busy month and on to 2012.

So we're out of it for McDonald?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we're out of it for McDonald?

What about Jennings from MD? Jamie Newberg seems to think we still have a shot at him even though he just visited THE OSU. He says we are still in good shape with Anthony as well.

Jadeveon Clowney, Isaiah Crowell on many wish lists - ESPN

I'm not a huge fan of ESPNU Recruiting Analysts, but hey. They know more than I do.

I guess, although officially offered, we can count Terrell and Grant out at this time? Hopefully we can end up with 1 or 2 quality guys. Given the amount of scholarships available. I would imagine some of these guys will be going to prep school or greyshirting?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
pretty sure jennings trimmed his list to three schools and VT wasnt one of them.
We are no longer recruiting/offering Terrell, he does not have a VT offer at this time.
I think we have been out of the picture with grant for months, if he were to pick VT it would be the biggest recruiting surprise in a long time (imo).

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty sure jennings trimmed his list to three schools and VT wasnt one of them.
We are no longer recruiting/offering Terrell, he does not have a VT offer at this time.
I think we have been out of the picture with grant for months, if he were to pick VT it would be the biggest recruiting surprise in a long time (imo).

I see. Thanks for the update Hunz! Rivals is still showing Jennings having a visit with VT on 1/28?? Anthony I believe is set to visit late January as well (maybe 1/22) and announce on Signing Day. Maybe we will get lucky and be able to pull him away from FLA, CLEM, and UNC.