• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

should the OL or DL be main focus in draft?

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know 2 of the several names on this list and really know very little about them. Are the Cowboys scouts known for being pretty good? Or are they pretty Avg. Are there any publications that grade the scouts of a team like they grade a teams draft?

We may never know .... Well documented Jerry listens to coaches and friends more than he does his scouts :/

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to see Spencer, Hatcher and especially Ware on the D-line next year. I can't believe anyone in here thinks we have a future with Ware and his contract.

I'm 95% sure Spencer is gone and 70% sure Hatcher is, but Ware while he his on the downside of his career is still a very good DLman. Let's see if he sucks as much as you proclaim when he doesn't have potato chip eating couch potatoes playing along side of him. Funny thing is as sucky as you say he is other teams still double teamed him.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 95% sure Spencer is gone and 70% sure Hatcher is, but Ware while he his on the downside of his career is still a very good DLman. Let's see if he sucks as much as you proclaim when he doesn't have potato chip eating couch potatoes playing along side of him. Funny thing is as sucky as you say he is other teams still double teamed him.
I just think we could do better just getting rid of his huge contract as soon as possible.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

100% Hatcher is gone ... 50-50 on Spencer .... He din't play this year. Wont be demand for him.

on Cowboys.com they think Spencer will come back for a year ... Which makes since .. 1 year contract ... to up his value again rather than a small long term contract or a 1 year contract somewhere else learning a new system

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% Hatcher is gone ... 50-50 on Spencer .... He din't play this year. Wont be demand for him.

on Cowboys.com they think Spencer will come back for a year ... Which makes since .. 1 year contract ... to up his value again rather than a small long term contract or a 1 year contract somewhere else learning a new system

I could see this. The reason I think there's a chance give for Hatcher staying is Jerry's history of keeping his own players.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much would it cost us and/or hurt us if we kept Hatcher for one more year?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much would it cost us and/or hurt us if we kept Hatcher for one more year?

All depends on how much$$$$ he wants and how many years. There is no reason a player should give a discount in the NFL. Careers can end in an instant.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Spencer is willing to come back on a 1 year deal, it makes me wonder if the Cowboys would use the franchise tag on Hatcher this year and keep them both. I know the Cowboys are in cap Hell, but I read that they would be able to get under the cap by redoing the Romo, Ware and Carr deals and doing something with Austins contract. Do you think that is remotely possible?

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Spencer is willing to come back on a 1 year deal, it makes me wonder if the Cowboys would use the franchise tag on Hatcher this year and keep them both. I know the Cowboys are in cap Hell, but I read that they would be able to get under the cap by redoing the Romo, Ware and Carr deals and doing something with Austins contract. Do you think that is remotely possible?
I sure hope not, wow.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Spencer back. Lets start getting younger now.
We will have Crawford & Ware, plus whatever young guys we get or keep at DE.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope not, wow.

Personally, I would rather bite the bullet next year on Spencer and Hatcher, and maybe even Ware, along with Austin of course, and try and get the cap in decent shape going forward. That said, I know Jerry is 100% about winning right now. With Romo at 34 and coming off back surgery, I could see a desperate Jerry jacking up the cap to try and load up for hopefully one healthy run at a Super Bowl. Goodness knows we are due, and hypothetically, a healthy year from Ware, Spencer, Hatcher,Crawford, Lee, Carter, Mo, Carr, and hopefully a Dix and Jernigan in the draft would give them a shot

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I would rather bite the bullet next year on Spencer and Hatcher, and maybe even Ware, along with Austin of course, and try and get the cap in decent shape going forward. That said, I know Jerry is 100% about winning right now. With Romo at 34 and coming off back surgery, I could see a desperate Jerry jacking up the cap to try and load up for hopefully one healthy run at a Super Bowl. Goodness knows we are due, and hypothetically, a healthy year from Ware, Spencer, Hatcher,Crawford, Lee, Carter, Mo, Carr, and hopefully a Dix and Jernigan in the draft would give them a shot
You can't be serious. Even with a healthy team we do not have enough talent, especially on defense or in the coaching department.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Spencer back. Lets start getting younger now.
We will have Crawford & Ware, plus whatever young guys we get or keep at DE.
I agree. I want to unload contracst and get young starting this year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't be serious. Even with a healthy team we do not have enough talent, especially on defense or in the coaching department.

I said if it were up to me, I would let Hatcher and Spencer go, Let Austin go, and if as reported, we can save $7 million by releasing Ware, let him go too. But from what I've seen from Jerry, his thinking is all about winning a Super Bowl, cap be damned. I think wishing for a healthy defensive season across the board from older and injury prone players is not real likely, BUT, to your point, IF...IF Dallas kept them all, AND, were HEALTHY, a defense with Ware, Spencer, Hatcher, Crawford, (Jernigan), Durant, Lee, Sims, Carter, Wilber, Mo, Carr, Scandrick, Church, and (Dix) would be talented enough with our offense

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hatcher is gone He has said so (He felt he shouldhave been given a contract this year)
Cowboys have said he is gone.

AND HE SHOULD BE GONE

Wrong side of 30 for a defensive lineman that had one good year and that year being a contract year at that. That has NEVER worked out for the Cowboys

If Spencer does come back it wont be on a long contract. It will be for 1 year for a 1/4 of what he made this year. I like Crawford better anyway. He was killing it last year in camp until the injury that ended his season. While Spencer is a player that admits to taking plays off and his best year coming in a contract year as well...... which milked us for 10 million this past season. Was STUPID to keep him IMO.

parman4818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to draft defense defense defense.I think we should get DL,FS,ILB,DE,OLB,G,QB should be our 7 picks.Knowing how the idiot Jones likes to draft we will trade back in the first round once or twice to get extra picks later in the draft.Instead of getting players that can step in and help you we get guys in the 4th and 5th rounds that are very marginal players because ding bat Jones wants to trade back.The only hope we have guys is if Jerry and Stephen go down in there private jet and the sister is the smart one anyway would hire football people to run the Cowboys then and only then will the Cowboys be back.Jerry will not let go of the reins just like is daddy Al Davis did with the Raiders and it will take the Boys that long to get back if Jerry does not hire football people to run this team he sucks and i mean sucks as a gm

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy I would love to see the Cowboys get if he were there in the 3rd or 4th round is DeAnthony Thomas. I know he's not very big, but he would add a Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin type of explosive player that could set this offense off

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be D line. Shocked it wasn't more of a priority last year but this year it is a must. I think Tuitt will be a stud and is projected likely around where the Boys will be picking. I know it won't happen but I think the best thing to do would be clear house coaching staff wise and sell some assets for picks. Stockpile picks for the next year or 2.

Who would have thought Ware, Spencer, Ratliff, and Hatcher wouldn't have played at all together last year?

If not for injuries, the Cowboys would likely have had one of the better DL in football.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Ciskowski, Director of College and Pro Scouting

Chris Hall, College Scouting Coordinator

Drew Fabianich, National College Scout

Walter Juliff, National College Scout

Bill Dekraker, Midwest Area Scout

Sam Garza, West Coast Scout

Mitch LaPoint, Southeast Area Scout

John Wojciechowski, Northeast Area Scout

Judd Garrett, Assistant Director of Pro Scouting

Will McClay, Pro Scout/Director of Football Research

Jim Dodson, Pro Scouting Assistant

I know 2 of the several names on this list and really know very little about them. Are the Cowboys scouts known for being pretty good? Or are they pretty Avg. Are there any publications that grade the scouts of a team like they grade a teams draft?

They are the best in the business...just ask Jerry he'll tell you...