• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

should the NBA think about expanding the league or still stick with relocation?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
contraction or lessen the salary tax or both. Super teams are good for the league. It creates haters and fanatics who buy and burn jerseys. People want to see great players and great teams play not the Bobcats or 76ers.

All the tax does is ensure major market teams will win rings anyways, minds well make it easier for the smaller markets to spend if they want to...or they can take the Pitt Pirates route.

LBJ made the NBA very popular, so did MJ, before that it was the super teams of the 80s. Nobody talks about basketball from the 70s but I think the 2 leagues and fewer super teams may be why.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure we can find 6 teams nobody cares about in small markets that are losing money. Make the playoffs the same. Despite the predictability and length of the NBA season it remains very popular because the playoffs are a huge part of the volume, that should not change.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love a team in KC or STL but the reality is that the NBA needs about 6 fewer teams. Not more teams

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh hell no the league should not expand, if anything, they should contract - too many bad teams in the league - there seems to be more competition this season but as a whole there are too many bad teams and not enough parity

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe expand the D league and allow high school kids to play there with a minimum age of 20 or even 21 in the pros.

@Clayton I also think KC or STL would be a good spot for a team.

Chopping block:
Washington
Sacramento
Milwaukee
Toronto? (probably not as I think basketball is picking up in canada and I bet raptors help that)
New Orleans
Memphis
Utah?
Minnesota (could be helping the Canadian interest)
Atlanta
Orlando
LA Clippers would be a great relocation team, LA will never be their town
Dan Gilbert (Cleveland deserves a team, Dan should be no where near a basketball let alone team)

Choose one or 2 of those to relocate and choose the 6 worst to burn to the ground, figuratively.

Auto passes:
Bulls
LAL
Celtics
Pacers
Spurs
Rockets
Miami (despite having the worst fans I think Miami is a major market the NBA should have a hand in)

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe expand the D league and allow high school kids to play there with a minimum age of 20 or even 21 in the pros.

Chopping block:
Washington
Sacramento
Milwaukee
Toronto? (probably not as I think basketball is picking up in canada and I bet raptors help that)
New Orleans
Memphis
Utah?
Atlanta
Orlando
Dan Gilbert (Cleveland deserves a team, Dan should be no where near a basketball let alone team)

Choose one or 2 of those to relocate and choose the 6 worst to burn to the ground, figuratively.

Auto passes:
Bulls
LAL
Celtics
Pacers
Spurs
Rockets
Miami (despite having the worst fans I think Miami is a major market the NBA should have a hand in)

I disagree with those, Toronto is still a good city to have the Raptors, it's a huge city

New Orleans is another great town and the Hornets aren't that bad of a team

Minnesota has a good arena and seems like they have a good team going

Clippers won't move because it is LA and it's still good to have two teams there, no matter what

As for the auto passes, I think you have to put Philadelphia on there - it's one of the biggest cities in the US and the history that organization has had and the future they could have here soon, there's no doubt that's a city that is booming

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chopping block:
Washington
Sacramento
Milwaukee
New Orleans
Memphis
Utah?
Atlanta
Orlando

Auto passes:
Bulls
LAL
Celtics
Pacers
Spurs
Rockets

How did Charlotte not make the list to be chopped?:noidea:

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clippers won't move because it is LA and it's still good to have two teams there, no matter what
Unless it is football, of course. Can't even keep one team.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with those, Toronto is still a good city to have the Raptors, it's a huge city

New Orleans is another great town and the Hornets aren't that bad of a team

Minnesota has a good arena and seems like they have a good team going

As for the auto passes, I think you have to put Philadelphia on there - it's one of the biggest cities in the US and the history that organization has had and the future they could have here soon, there's no doubt that's a city that is booming

NO and Minnesota are good kind.every once in a while before inevitably going.back t.the lottery.

As for philly i had them.typed in but took.them off for some reason so i definitely see your side.

I.agree the clippers will.not.move but if they are not profitable i think they are dumb and stubborn to stay.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucks fans go pretty far back. I have not checked attendance records this year, but I don't believe it is likely they will lose their team.

They might have a core fanbase, but their arena is bad and I'm not sure Milwaukee is willing to build another one

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Seattle would welcome a team with a new stadium...

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Seattle gets a team but 30 teams is fine for now. The d-league is what should be focused on as far as expansion as there are too many teams which must share an affiliate at this point. The salaries of d-league players also need to be drastically raised so it can become a true minor league system, an alternative to college so we don't keep having these "scandals" w/5 star recruits i.e. Shabazz Muhammad, Kanter and can be a viable place for international players to play when they're 18 before they're draft eligible as well older players--Tim Olbrecht is one of the only people to ever go that route.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally, the league would be 32 teams where each conference has 4 divisions of 4 teams and half of the teams in the league make the playoffs while half sit out. Unequal markets make this a pipedream. That being said, I would probably contract the league back down to 24 teams. Here are my keepers:

Boston Celtics - Greatest franchise ever.
LA Lakers - Shittiest franchise ever.
LA Clippers - LA is big enough for two teams.
Chicago Bulls - Fifth biggest market in North America.
Houston Rockets - 6th biggest market in North America.
New York Knicks - Madison Square Garden.
Brooklyn Nets - Cold uniforms and gives NY fans an alternate.
Dallas Mavericks - Great fans, great ownership, growing market.
Toronto Raptors - Fourth biggest market in North America.
Miami Heat - South Beach is where its at.
San Antonio Spurs - Great fans, great tradition.
Detroit Pistons - God forbid the motor city loses ANYmore tourist revenue.
Orlando Magic - Great city.
Phoenix Suns - Racist city but great fans.
Mexico City - North America's 3rd largest city needs a team.
Oklahoma City Thunder - Fanbase.
Seattle Supersonics - Should've never left Seattle.
Golden State Warriors - The bay area needs a team.
Philadelphia 76ers - History and tradition.
Atlanta Hawks - No real reason.
Washington Wizards - No real reason except this region needs at least one pro team. Charlotte fans can root for the Wiz.
Indiana Pacers - Eh, no real reason except the State of Indiana loves its basketball.
Milwaukee Bucks - No real reason. Horrible market, horrible fans, no true history. Maybe contraction in favor of a St. Louis.
Portland Trailblazers - Great city.

Here are the teams I'd shitcan:

Charlotte Bobcats - Duke and UNC are the real teams in the carolinas.
Memphis Grizzlies - Not a big enough fanbase
Sacramento Kings - Great fans, horrible market.
New Orleans Pelicans - No real reason.
Utah Jazz - Nobody wants to live in Utah.
Cleveland Cavaliers - Craphole city.

Eh, it was an interesting post so I responded out of boredom. Word.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Seattle gets a team but 30 teams is fine for now. The d-league is what should be focused on as far as expansion as there are too many teams which must share an affiliate at this point. The salaries of d-league players also need to be drastically raised so it can become a true minor league system, an alternative to college so we don't keep having these "scandals" w/5 star recruits i.e. Shabazz Muhammad, Kanter and can be a viable place for international players to play when they're 18 before they're draft eligible as well older players--Tim Olbrecht is one of the only people to ever go that route.

Yeah if they can make it like the NHL/AHL and MLB/Minor Leagues, that would help the NBA - too many NBA players end up not fulfilling their potential because they're not brought up the right way and they're thrown into the fire too early